The rise and fall on the O's starting pitching

wildcard

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Like I said, I don’t remember the exact circumstances, but it’s a different thing to publicly deny something, which is a concrete statement, and to say, “I can’t talk about that right now”

It’s possible he was expressing the exact letter of the law, so to speak, because the contract hadn’t been signed, therefore the hiring was not official, therefore he had not been hired. But that’s rather tenuous.

I’m not saying, I’m not even suggesting that he did anything wrong, but at first blush, it doesn’t look that good.

The Xavier Hernandez fiasco has informed everything the Orioles do regarding signings, announcements and player medical exams,

Because of that, those who were around then will remember the hoops Andy MacPhail jumped through when Adam Jones announced he'd been traded to the Orioles but hadn't taken his physical yet. The deal was pushed back several days.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

The Xavier Hernandez fiasco has informed everything the Orioles do regarding signings, announcements and player medical exams,

Because of that, those who were around then will remember the hoops Andy MacPhail jumped through when Adam Jones announced he'd been traded to the Orioles but hadn't taken his physical yet. The deal was pushed back several days.

I don’t know why your comment didn’t make allowance for a “thank you” icon as I wanted to thank you for your comment. I appreciate it very much.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t know why your comment didn’t make allowance for a “thank you” icon as I wanted to thank you for your comment. I appreciate it very much.

You're quite welcome. I think it's because I'm a limited posting member. So, I have limits.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

I'm not sure of the current situation but it might be due to the fact that you are a limited posting member with more than 500 posts.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sure of the current situation but it might be due to the fact that you are a limited posting member with more than 500 posts.

So Until I have logged a certain number of posts I am limited in the number of… Gosh, what are those things called, adjectives? Reactions, emojis? I don’t know what the official term is, but I’m limited in how many I can use?

Just now, Philip said:

So Until I have logged a certain number of posts I am limited in the number of… Gosh, what are those things called, adjectives? Reactions, emojis? I don’t know what the official term is, but I’m limited in how many I can use?

You have limited and plus members.  Plus members (who pay for the privilege) have rights and access that limited members do not. 

I know that 500 posts used to be a cutoff point for limited members.  You may have lost the ability to give rep when you exceeded that threshold.

Obligatory comment about supporting the Hangout by purchasing a plus account.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would you expect Elias to say it's a service time issue?  He'd have to be pretty stupid to admit it right?

Let's wait and see what happens and if guys start getting promoted within a couple of days of when the O's get an extra year it's a pretty clear indication that service time was a factor.

If a week or more goes by and they are playing well and don't get promoted we know service time isn't a factor.

Gives us something to look forward to.

My guess is that none of the obvious candidates will get called up within days of their service time deadlines.     Hays might have if he got off to a hot start in Norfolk, but now he’s on the IL and who knows when he’ll even get into a AAA game?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You have limited and plus members.  Plus members (who pay for the privilege) have rights and access that limited members do not. 

I know that 500 posts used to be a cutoff point for limited members.  You may have lost the ability to give rep when you exceeded that threshold.

Obligatory comment about supporting the Hangout by purchasing a plus account.

I also have a demerit for saying something deemed inappropriate to a certain celebrity who posts here. That could be part of it.

6 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I don't know. Yesterday was just his first game of the season. He pitched better than Paxton. Do you think he is a better pitcher than Paxton? I would like for there to be a significant number of results before I form an opinion.

6 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Exactly!  I was going to post this same chart.  His velocity is markedly decreased from 2016 and has never returned anywhere close to that level.  If he was going to be elite, it was based on his 2016 level with the 94-96 velocity and repertoire.  His changeup has also declined in quality particularly last season.  Without a better improvement in his offspeed repertoire and assuming he is not able to regain his previous velocity, it is likely that he is not going to be even a mediocre starting pitcher going forward.   This season for me is determinant about which direction Bundy goes...if he stays where he has been in 2017-2018,, he will not be a rotational pitcher on our next winner or even sooner.

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Exactly!  I was going to post this same chart.  His velocity is markedly decreased from 2016 and has never returned anywhere close to that level.  If he was going to be elite, it was based on his 2016 level with the 94-96 velocity and repertoire.  His changeup has also declined in quality particularly last season.  Without a better improvement in his offspeed repertoire and assuming he is not able to regain his previous velocity, it is likely that he is not going to be even a mediocre starting pitcher going forward.   This season for me is determinant about which direction Bundy goes...if he stays where he has been in 2017-2018,, he will not be a rotational pitcher on our next winner or even sooner.

Brocail said he is working on his posture, follow through and a bunch of other changes in an attempt to get him back into form. He said that during the offseason he watched video of Bundy from 2016, and the first time he saw him in ST could not believe he was the same pitcher. Hope it's at least 50% successful, so Bundy can pitch effectively. If not, I'd expect him to be non-tendered.

Archived