Long lines at security checkpoints frustrate Orioles fans at home opener

Going Underground

I don't think the Orioles will have to worry about this that much this year or for many years to come. A few a year if that.

Fans who didn’t arrive early for the Orioles’ home opener Thursday were treated to long lines at security checkpoints, in some cases not getting to their seats until the third inning.

That explained why the upper deck at Oriole Park looked almost empty when the game started, but there remained a lot of unoccupied seats after the logjams at the entrances cleared.

“Oriole Park’s policy allows many types of bags to be brought into the ballpark,” he said in a text message to The Baltimore Sun. “The trade-off of having such a policy is the thoroughness it requires to search all the bags to meet MLB security standards. These security measures combined with a sold-out crowd of fans arriving around the same time are the primary causes of the wait times some fans experienced today.”

We don't thank you for your patience or understanding.?  

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-long-lines-at-security-checkpoints-delay-fans-20190404-story.html

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I don't think the Orioles will have to worry about this that much this year or for many years to come. A few a year if that.

Fans who didn’t arrive early for the Orioles’ home opener Thursday were treated to long lines at security checkpoints, in some cases not getting to their seats until the third inning.

That explained why the upper deck at Oriole Park looked almost empty when the game started, but there remained a lot of unoccupied seats after the logjams at the entrances cleared.

“Oriole Park’s policy allows many types of bags to be brought into the ballpark,” he said in a text message to The Baltimore Sun. “The trade-off of having such a policy is the thoroughness it requires to search all the bags to meet MLB security standards. These security measures combined with a sold-out crowd of fans arriving around the same time are the primary causes of the wait times some fans experienced today.”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-long-lines-at-security-checkpoints-delay-fans-20190404-story.html

Lol - I enjoyed the last sentence :)

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

Lol - is that a typo in the last sentence?

I put that last sentence in. Me being sarcastic. But people need to know, like at an airport ,the bigger the crowds and  if you arrive later ,the longer the wait. i have seen people miss their flight, even though they tell you to arrive an hour or so or even more depending on the airport.

I've been a STH since 2014, and I've always gotten to the stadium between 11:15-11:30, and this year had the fewest fans by far at the gate opening then I've ever seen.  The lines for the flag script jersey were longer last year.  I also can't say they were more thorough with my bag, but then again, it's just a drawstring with a handful of items.  

My big gripe is that they tell you to make sure your mobile ticket is loaded, but then you have to part with your cell phone when you get to the metal detector.  So chances are, even if you have it loaded up, the phone is now locked and you have to unlock it by the time you reach the ticket check in.  If they are serious about the mobile ticketing, and it looks like they are, then they need to have the tickets scanned first, then send people through security.  

Did anyone else who purchased tickets aside from your season plan have any issues getting the app to load the barcode?  I spent over 30 minutes on the phone waiting for support, and I ended up going to the Eutaw Street gate and got my tickets printed for no charge (despite the $5 charge the site claimed if I wanted them printed and picked up.) . This whole mobile thing is absolutely ridiculous.  

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

There is no real search occuring., THey just really looking for visible liquor. And the metal detectors are not often really operational.  Shame we have to go through this, but it is at least a show piece for the league. 

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm not sure why anyone would be frustrated.   This policy and the security checkpoints have been in place a long time.

Yeah but there have never been long lines that took forever to get in. 

23 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I've been a STH since 2014, and I've always gotten to the stadium between 11:15-11:30, and this year had the fewest fans by far at the gate opening then I've ever seen.  The lines for the flag script jersey were longer last year.  I also can't say they were more thorough with my bag, but then again, it's just a drawstring with a handful of items.  

My big gripe is that they tell you to make sure your mobile ticket is loaded, but then you have to part with your cell phone when you get to the metal detector.  So chances are, even if you have it loaded up, the phone is now locked and you have to unlock it by the time you reach the ticket check in.  If they are serious about the mobile ticketing, and it looks like they are, then they need to have the tickets scanned first, then send people through security.  

Did anyone else who purchased tickets aside from your season plan have any issues getting the app to load the barcode?  I spent over 30 minutes on the phone waiting for support, and I ended up going to the Eutaw Street gate and got my tickets printed for no charge (despite the $5 charge the site claimed if I wanted them printed and picked up.) . This whole mobile thing is absolutely ridiculous.  

The cell phone tickets is a bad idea. I don't know why they don't go back to just having paper tickets for every seat.  You can print them out and then not hold up the line for everyone else. 

30 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

i have not heard if  Oriole Park actually finally has Wi-Fi . I know trying to get a signal was terrible for many years.

Complaints about the lack of Wi-Fi have plagued Camden Yards. Without Wi-Fi, fans say, their cellular networks often become overtaxed and slow down because too many people are using them in the same place.

In most other big-league stadiums, Wi-Fi has become as much of a staple as the seventh-inning stretch as the sport reaches out to younger fans for whom posting messages and photos is part of the stadium experience.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-md-orioles-wi-fi-20181109-story.html

Maybe the Sun should ask Greg Bader if the Orioles are considering this to help expedite the lines. But probably down the rode,like last to get Wi_FI and still no streaming service . This article is from 2018. I wonder how many other MLB teams now have it. 

Clear, the privatized gate security company that competes with TSA Pre✓, is expanding its footprint to three new Major League Baseball parks for the 2018 season and working with lawmakers in Washington State to digitize IDs for potential contactless in-stadium alcohol ordering.

The Clear platform, which requires a one-time sign-up and then uses biometrics to identify people and expedite security checks, will be added to the Atlanta Braves’ SunTrust Park, Oakland Athletics’ Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, and the Seattle Mariners’ Safeco Field.

These new arenas bring Clear’s tally of professional sports teams to 11. It previously announced partnerships with the New York Yankees’ Yankees Stadium, NY Mets’ Citi Field, Colorado Rockies’ Coors Field, Miami Marlins’ Marlins Park, San Francisco Giants’ AT&T Park, Detroit Tigers’ Comerica Park, and a few other National Basketball League and Major League Soccer teams.

https://www.sporttechie.com/clear-expands-streamlined-security-check-ins-3-additional-mlb-parks-safeco/

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Maybe the Sun should ask Greg Bader if the Orioles are considering this to help expedite the lines. But probably down the rode,like last to get Wi_FI and still no streaming service . This article is from 2018. I wonder how many other MLB teams now have it. 

Clear, the privatized gate security company that competes with TSA Pre✓, is expanding its footprint to three new Major League Baseball parks for the 2018 season and working with lawmakers in Washington State to digitize IDs for potential contactless in-stadium alcohol ordering.

The Clear platform, which requires a one-time sign-up and then uses biometrics to identify people and expedite security checks, will be added to the Atlanta Braves’ SunTrust Park, Oakland Athletics’ Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, and the Seattle Mariners’ Safeco Field.

These new arenas bring Clear’s tally of professional sports teams to 11. It previously announced partnerships with the New York Yankees’ Yankees Stadium, NY Mets’ Citi Field, Colorado Rockies’ Coors Field, Miami Marlins’ Marlins Park, San Francisco Giants’ AT&T Park, Detroit Tigers’ Comerica Park, and a few other National Basketball League and Major League Soccer teams.

https://www.sporttechie.com/clear-expands-streamlined-security-check-ins-3-additional-mlb-parks-safeco/

I spoke too soon. Does Camden Yards really have this? I have seen nothing about doing this.

CLEAR announced today new Major League Baseball (MLB) club partnerships and the expansion of its biometric ticketing solution at additional stadiums across the United States. Texas Rangers and Baltimore Orioles fans can now use the CLEAR biometric identity membership platform to verify their identity for frictionless access to games at Globe Life Park and Camden Yards.

https://www.biometricupdate.com/201904/more-mlb-stadiums-deploy-clear-biometric-tech-for-frictionless-fan-entry

Archived