Dan Straily 2019

interloper

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

The more i think about it the more i believe this team could avoid 100 losses. Maybe if they dont trade any vets who are doing well. 

I promise they will trade whoever they can. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

I promise they will trade whoever they can. 

They dont have a Machado or Britton or Gausman to trade this year. The return will be minimal, so I almost dont see the point unless they want the top draft pick. 

10 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

They dont have a Machado or Britton or Gausman to trade this year. The return will be minimal, so I almost dont see the point unless they want the top draft pick. 

Of course they want the top draft choice.

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

For most, the return will be cutting payroll while the team is losing. For Straily, a contending team with budget constraints might actually give up a real prospect for him if he's having a good season.

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think they’ll make trades just to find a way to lose more games.    

I don't believe they will contend and if they don't they trade away veterans in July.   Cobb, Cashner, Villar, Givens, Straily, Bundy,  Trumbo will all be on the block.    If half of them actually get traded if will probably be enough to put them at or close to getting the #1 draft choice.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think they’ll make trades just to find a way to lose more games.    

But to cut payroll. In 2013 ,the Astros started with a payroll of around $26 million. They got it down to $13 million and allegedly the most profitable team in baseball history. I know the Orioles can't get that low but Cobb, Cashner and a few others would help the team make a better profit.

8 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

But to cut payroll. In 2013 ,the Astros started with a payroll of around $26 million. They got it down to $13 million and allegedly the most profitable team in baseball history. I know the Orioles can't get that low but Cobb, Cashner and a few others would help the team make a better profit.

They may very well want to cut payroll.    I was just saying I don’t think they’ll make trades for the purpose of trying to lose more games, which is what wildcard seems to be implying in his response to jabba72:

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Of course they want the top draft choice.

There’s a balance between being frugal and destructive. The 2012 Astros were literally unwatchable. I went to a game between the Rangers andAstros and in front of us were two families of Astro fans. By the fourth inning the Rangers were plowing through Astros pitching like a Panzer through tall grass, and both families left dejectedly with the score about 11-2. I felt so sad for them.

Elias has an obligation to be mindful of the fans. Last year was supposedly the result of incompetence-and idiocy- and not desire. Yet a plethora of pitchforks and torches abounded. How much worse would it be to do it on purpose?

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

If they traded Cobb midseason, then they could avoid paying him 2.5 more years. That's some serious chump change. 

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

There’s a balance between being frugal and destructive. The 2012 Astros were literally unwatchable. I went to a game between the Rangers andAstros and in front of us were two families of Astro fans. By the fourth inning the Rangers were plowing through Astros pitching like a Panzer through tall grass, and both families left dejectedly with the score about 11-2. I felt so sad for them.

Elias has an obligation to be mindful of the fans. Last year was supposedly the result of incompetence-and idiocy- and not desire. Yet a plethora of pitchforks and torches abounded. How much worse would it be to do it on purpose?

It's a process and there are no shortcuts.

There isn't anything Elias can do to make this season more abhorrent than last season. Nothing.

Archived