Wotherspoon cleared waivers, assigned to AAA, roster at 39

interloper

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, interloper said:

The most recent DFA is Tyler Austin, a 1B from MIN. 

I'm gonna go ahead and say we claim the 27 yr old power-hitting 1B. I don't know what the plan would be if we do because there doesn't seem to be a spot for him on the 25-man. But after Davis and Mancini, we don't really have many decent 1B in the system who could play at the ML level (not counting Mountcastle at this point yet). So maybe a claim and DFA. 

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm gonna go ahead and say we claim the 27 yr old power-hitting 1B. I don't know what the plan would be if we do because there doesn't seem to be a spot for him on the 25-man. But after Mancini, we don't really have many decent 1B in the system who could play at the ML level (not counting Mountcastle at this point yet). So maybe a claim and DFA. 

Fixed that for you.

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Calling up Wotherspoon was a tank move by Elias. Yefry, Rogers, Ynoa, or even Scott, were better options. 

Without fresh bullpen arms, and with CD playing everyday, this team will lose 100+. 

Disagree. Reason being, you need a guy for one game, basically. Might as well use a guy you don't plan on using much instead of calling up a better arm, then having to option him for 10 days or, worse, DFA him and risk losing him. Plus you disrupt development doing that and that's all we've done the past few years to guys like Scott. Elias said when guys come up he wants them to stick.

Wotherspoon was a "throw a guy into the fire to soak up a few innings and who cares if he gets claimed" kind of move. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Side note. I'm guessing we should hear about Jackson's fate relatively soon. Next day or so probably?

It wouldn’t surprise me if we have a deal worked out with the Dodgers to acquire Jackson for international bonus slots as long as he passes through waivers.  Similar to what we did with Araujo & the Cubs.  I’m sure Elias took this into account before deciding to designate Jackson for assignment, especially when he had other players out of options that he could have DFA’d.

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Calling up Wotherspoon was a tank move by Elias. Yefry, Rogers, Ynoa, or even Scott, were better options. 

Without fresh bullpen arms, and with CD playing everyday, this team will lose 100+. 

It was a one game, pass him through waivers move. A tank move would be to keep him on the 25 man roster. 

33 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How much do you have to play to get MLB retirement benefits? Maybe Elias was just trying to help a dude out lol

52 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Without fresh bullpen arms, and with CD playing everyday, this team will lose 100+

Yes, it will, and probably would even with fresh bullpen arms and without Davis. This team has not been built to win games. No one associated with the team has said that it was. It's a bad team that will allow our better prospects to get the development work they need in the minors. 

Nothing new to see hear. Carry on.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Disagree. Reason being, you need a guy for one game, basically. Might as well use a guy you don't plan on using much instead of calling up a better arm, then having to option him for 10 days or, worse, DFA him and risk losing him. Plus you disrupt development doing that and that's all we've done the past few years to guys like Scott. Elias said when guys come up he wants them to stick.

Wotherspoon was a "throw a guy into the fire to soak up a few innings and who cares if he gets claimed" kind of move. 

Yeah but Wotherspoon enters a game that is 2-0. Those are medium-high leverage MLB innings. Not just some throw away innings. If he gives up just 1 run over 2 IP then Mancini’s homer makes it a 3-3 game. 

I really doubt that would’ve hurt Ramirez, Scott, or Rogers’ development. 

2 hours ago, theocean said:

How much do you have to play to get MLB retirement benefits? Maybe Elias was just trying to help a dude out lol

It is quite a bit of time.  I can't remember who the pitcher was but he didn't qualify because he missed a few games and then was having medical issues and MLB was not helping him out.  He pitched in the majors a few years too.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah but Wotherspoon enters a game that is 2-0. Those are medium-high leverage MLB innings. Not just some throw away innings. If he gives up just 1 run over 2 IP then Mancini’s homer makes it a 3-3 game. 

I really doubt that would’ve hurt Ramirez, Scott, or Rogers’ development. 

Who are you optioning for Rogers or Ramirez though?

Archived