How bad are the umpires?

schittenden

13 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont agree the quality is more accurate, from what I watch, it sucks beyond my imagination, how the best of the best, which is what is supposed to be in the majors, could be doing such a bad job. Are they too worried about replay, or do they not care, because they can depend on replay?

Maybe you should look on YouTube for games from pre-1999.  The reason you think they're so bad is that every game is on HD with 26 cameras and tracking systems.  In 1965 the umps were always right, because who could tell?

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Maybe you should look on YouTube for games from pre-1999.  The reason you think they're so bad is that every game is on HD with 26 cameras and tracking systems.  In 1965 the umps were always right, because who could tell?

Good Point, and yeah, dont take us much to remember the home run that wasnt a home run in 96 ALCS.

I remember early 60s, and my granddaddy and daddy would be arguing how bad the stupid refs/umpires where. LOL

On 7/26/2019 at 5:29 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

I hate challenges.  Why don't you have an ump in the booth watching the game and the tracking, and he just hits a buzzer and radios the head ump when he sees something wrong.  On balls and strikes... give the home plate ump a little key fob kind of thing tied to Trackman.  Two buzzes is a strike, one is a ball.  The ump calls it.  If the robot is clearly wrong, like calling a strike on a pitch 3' outside, the ump calls it right.

Why make it so complicated...one buzz strike, no buzz ball. With automation though, I believe an ump will be bored and not really pay close attention on any given pitch....300+ pitches and all he has to do is react to the buzz. Therefore, I do not believe he will not be in a position to over rule the robot's call. In fact, his only calls would be HBP, checked swings, bounced third strikes,  balks, calls at plate (which all could be reviewed like NFL)

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Maybe you should look on YouTube for games from pre-1999. The reason you think they're so bad is that every game is on HD with 26 cameras and tracking systems. In 1965 the umps were always right, because who could tell ???

o

The James gang was never caught on camera attempting to rob a bank.

o

12 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I disagree totally, any time, I watch 5 minutes of NBA ball, there are so many non call fouls its crazy. Don't they realize the dribble rule and if you take 3 steps and dont dribble, its traveling. They slam into each other and no foul, yet, somebody barely taps into another player and doesnt impact the play, they call a foul.

One of the reasons, I dont get too much into the NBA is because of this.

Agreed ....modern day professional basketball ignores traveling so that the fans can watch the fancy jams. 

13 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Good Point, and yeah, dont take us much to remember the home run that wasnt a home run in 96 ALCS.

I remember early 60s, and my granddaddy and daddy would be arguing how bad the stupid refs/umpires where. LOL

Nothing new under the sun. This is an SNL sketch from the late 80's making fun of NFL referees.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-referee/2877573