Mancini's Future with the O's

Bahama O's Fan

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I think Trey is a better piece to have on this team than a very good team.  A very good team probably has a better hitter at first than Trey.  We need someone to cheer on.  

I’m still waiting to find out just how good a hitter Trey is or isn’t.    

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to see Davis on the bench tonight and Ruiz starting at first while Mancini starts in RF.  Maybe the coaches don't have as much of a problem with Mancini in the OF most people around here do? Or maybe our OF depth is that bad right now, meh. 

6 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Interesting to see Davis on the bench tonight and Ruiz starting at first while Mancini starts in RF.  Maybe the coaches don't have as much of a problem with Mancini in the OF most people around here do? Or maybe our OF depth is that bad right now, meh. 

Left field is a lot bigger in Camden Yards than right field.  Trey is more suited for right field as he takes bad paths to balls and is slow moving on the path. Especially poor moving back on balls. He won't have much room to move back in right field here.  

25 minutes ago, atomic said:

Left field is a lot bigger in Camden Yards than right field.  Trey is more suited for right field as he takes bad paths to balls and is slow moving on the path. Especially poor moving back on balls. He won't have much room to move back in right field here.  

Just have to learn how to play the balls off the scoreboard and when an extra base hit bounces around in the corner.

Gerardo Parra was terrible in RF during his short stint as an Oriole because he failed at the above. 

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

He  could hit .500 or  .100 this year and no one's opinion of him would change. Everyone has decided.

Well, I’m not in that group.   Mancini’s first two years were so different that I’m not quite sure what to expect.    Generally I’ve guessed he’ll be somewhere in the middle of those two years, and if so, that makes him a 1ish WAR player with some, but pretty minimal trade value.    But if he’s really like 2017 or better, that’s got some value despite his defensive limitations.    

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I’m not in that group.   Mancini’s first two years were so different that I’m not quite sure what to expect.    Generally I’ve guessed he’ll be somewhere in the middle of those two years, and if so, that makes him a 1ish WAR player with some, but pretty minimal trade value.    But if he’s really like 2017 or better, that’s got some value despite his defensive limitations.    

He didn't strike out much in the minors and had big season in AA.  I think he could produce decently.   I want to see him play every game at first and see how he ends up doing.   I don't know why he struck out so much last year.  Maybe he was trying for 50 home runs as he saw how much money you make from the Orioles when you do that. 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just wanted you to say that.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:40 AM, Moose Milligan said:

If he rakes this year, I think we should keep him.  I can't imagine a market for a limited defense guy that would give us a greater return that what he already brings to the table.

He needs to be at 1st, it should be just a matter of a time before he can be.  

I think it's pretty clear you don't trade him until or unless somebody offers meaningful prospects in return.  That may seem like an obvious thing to say, but did the O's trade Kevin Gausman for anyone meaningful?  Doesn't appear so.  Now the comparison may be off because Gausman was starting to earn a bigger salary, and because the O's were just embarking on the current rebuild.   But even though Gausman never lived up to star status, the guy was hardly a bust.  A prospect rich team like the Braves should have turned over more for Gaus.

It would be tragic to see the O's trade a solid player in Mancini a year or two or now -- for several average prospects -- just to save money.  That may be more likely to happen with Bundy,  but Bundy has if anything struggled more than Gausman.  It would be less painful to cut ties with an underperforming, expensive, former top prospect in Bundy for an average return than it would to trade an overachiever in Mancini for a somewhat above average return -- all just to save money or to extend the rebuild.  Not that this team needs to save money, but it doesn't need to send away good players wither without a solid return in place.

21 hours ago, atomic said:

Mancini is making 575K.  He isnt going anywhere.

He will if a team offers a haul for him, but our point is that it's unlikely he'll bring back a haul of solid prospects.  That said, if Mancini finishes this season or next in or close the top 25 in hitting -- well....

Archived