Baseball America article about O's past/future international effort

interloper

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 3:04 PM, Frobby said:

I’ll be interested to see if we’re able to score a few decent signings this July 2 despite the fact that the top names were probably informally signed a year or two ago.    

MLB.com came out with its top 30 international prospect list.  28 of the 30 have a favorite which means they will likely be signing with that team unless they hit a last minute snag.  None of the favorites are the Orioles.  It is going to take a few years before the Orioles are able to sign the top 16 year olds and then years before they are ready for the majors.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=int

38 minutes ago, POR said:

MLB.com came out with its top 30 international prospect list.  28 of the 30 have a favorite which means they will likely be signing with that team unless they hit a last minute snag.  None of the favorites are the Orioles.  It is going to take a few years before the Orioles are able to sign the top 16 year olds and then years before they are ready for the majors.

Yep. Elias has been saying this since the jump. It's not about the money, it's about the relationships. And as he said, we're building it pretty much "from scratch" (his words). That's why having a respected guy like Koby is huuuuuge for making it happen as quickly as possible.

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yep. Elias has been saying this since the jump. It's not about the money, it's about the relationships. And as he said, we're building it pretty much "from scratch" (his words). That's why having a respected guy like Koby is huuuuuge for making it happen as quickly as possible.

So when they are millionaires reaching free agency it is all about the money but when they are dirt poor 16 year olds it isn't?

I thought it was always about the money?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So when they are millionaires reaching free agency it is all about the money but when they are dirt poor 16 year olds it isn't?

I thought it was always about the money?

You misinterpreted what I was saying. I meant the reason the O's haven't signed these guys is not because they're not being allowed to spend the money, it's because they haven't built the relationships with the players. 

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Most likely if they don't start signing 16 year olds until next off-season Elias will be gone by the time any of them are playing on the Orioles. 

30 minutes ago, atomic said:

Most likely if they don't start signing 16 year olds until next off-season Elias will be gone by the time any of them are playing on the Orioles. 

If the owners expected a ground-up rebuild to follow your template, and not Elias'.  That seems a little unlikely, but I could be wrong.

On 4/10/2019 at 3:04 PM, Frobby said:

I’ll be interested to see if we’re able to score a few decent signings this July 2 despite the fact that the top names were probably informally signed a year or two ago.    

The Orioles were never in the international market before this past season.

So I think the bar is set low, but they can make improvements.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If the owners expected a ground-up rebuild to follow your template, and not Elias'.  That seems a little unlikely, but I could be wrong.

Thinking Elias time spawn here in charge will be short-lived if they dont do things Atomic's way, is laughable and irresponsible. IMO

4 hours ago, POR said:

Certain people here remain ignorant of how this works no matter how obvious it is

3 hours ago, interloper said:

You misinterpreted what I was saying. I meant the reason the O's haven't signed these guys is not because they're not being allowed to spend the money, it's because they haven't built the relationships with the players. 

Peter was never ever a fan of the international draft market, so the Orioles were not partakers.

Now that the boys are in charge, it looks like things will charge and we shall see.

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thinking Elias time spawn here in charge will be short-lived if they dont do things Atomic's way, is laughable and irresponsible. IMO

My big question though is whose rebuilding plan does atomic believe the owners expect Elias to follow?

Atomic genuinely seems to think that most people should be expecting the Orioles to rebuild according to his own agenda and not use the actual words and track record that Elias has said to them and in public.  That level of hubris is actually kind of fascinating to me.

Just now, Aglets said:

My big question though is whose rebuilding plan does atomic believe the owners expect Elias to follow?

Atomic genuinely seems to think that most people should be expecting the Orioles to rebuild according to his own agenda and not use the actual words and track record that Elias has said to them and in public.  That level of hubris is actually kind of fascinating to me.

I agree.

I am sure Elias had long discussions with the boys on how he feels he would do things here if given the chance.

They were impressed enough to hire him.

So give him time to work his plans.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Not sure why that would be, but if so, I'd be happy that he left the international effort in immensely better shape than he found it.

Archived