20 games in 20 days, 6 games in 5 days ... over

SteveA

I’m not ready to give up on Bundy as starter, despite the evidence of his declining velocity and difficulties the second time through the order.    To me, when he’s right he has the best repertoire of pitches on our staff.    Let him spend most of the year trying to get back on track.    If he doesn’t, then move him to the pen late in the season if you need to.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’m not ready to give up on Bundy as starter, despite the evidence of his declining velocity and difficulties the second time through the order.    To me, when he’s right he has the best repertoire of pitches on our staff.    Let him spend most of the year trying to get back on track.    If he doesn’t, then move him to the pen late in the season if you need to.

I'm not opposed, but I'm not sure that he cannot build up effectiveness and innings in the pen too. I guess if the theory is that all he needs to work on is holding his stuff through the 4/5/6th innings, then you could say the best way to do that is to force him to work his way through those innings. That's for smarter people than me to figure out.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

The opponent's OPS Bundy's first time through the order is .491.

The opponent's OPS Bundy's second time through the order is 1.386.

He's an opener or middle reliever, to me. I just worry about him in high leverage situations because of his HR rate. OTOH, you don't keep a guy on the roster expecting him to throw 2-3 innings once every 5 days, so he probably really should be moved to the pen.

He may be an opener or middle reliever to you, and the numbers back you up. But I'm pretty sure he's a starter to the Orioles, at least for another month or so. And he's gone 5, 5 and 6 innings in his last three starts -- not very effectively, but nonetheless he ate those innings even if he made a mess of them, a little like the contestants in a hands-tied-behind-your-back pie-eating contest.

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

He may be an opener or middle reliever to you, and the numbers back you up. But I'm pretty sure he's a starter to the Orioles, at least for another month or so. And he's gone 5, 5 and 6 innings in his last three starts -- not very effectively, but nonetheless he ate those innings even if he made a mess of them, a little like the contestants in a hands-tied-behind-your-back pie-eating contest.

All fair points. I want to believe he'll be able to turn it around and last longer in games, but in the back of my mind I remember people talking about his injury a couple of years ago and how he'll never be the same. That seems to be panning out. I hope the medicals improve, but the fastball decline is alarming and he'll only be able to survive so long off of secondaries.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah just let him pitch. If his arm falls off, it falls off. If he stinks but eats some innings, that's what he does. If he gets good, great. 

He was downright ace-level-dominant in early 2018. No one could hit the slider, it was silly. Perhaps he finds that again. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Yeah just let him pitch. If his arm falls off, it falls off. If he stinks but eats some innings, that's what he does. If he gets good, great. 

He was downright ace-level-dominant in early 2018. No one could hit the slider, it was silly. Perhaps he finds that again. 

This post actually raises a real question for me...does Bundy face higher risk of further injury as a starter or as a bullpen guy? I'd assume the former, but don't know. Given his history, that might weight my opinion.

On 4/24/2019 at 10:12 PM, SteveA said:

So, assuming that we drop to a 5-man rotation now, which of these 5 pitchers IS NOT in the rotation ???

Cobb

Cashner

Bundy

Hess

Means

Straily

I also think that we will go to 13 position players, because this 3-man bench is tough to manage. Who goes down ???   Who comes up ???   (if I am right about that.)

o

(MAY 2nd)

A day off for our beloved Birdies, after having split a twinbill against the White Sox yesterday.

Like the Orioles, the Devil Rays (their upcoming opponent) played a doubleheader yesterday ........ unlike the Orioles, they lost both ends to the struggling Royals.

o

On 4/24/2019 at 10:12 PM, SteveA said:

So, assuming that we drop to a 5-man rotation now, which of these 5 pitchers IS NOT in the rotation ???

Cobb

Cashner

Bundy

Hess

Means

Straily

I also think that we will go to 13 position players, because this 3-man bench is tough to manage. Who goes down ???   Who comes up ???   (if I am right about that.)

On 5/2/2019 at 9:51 AM, OFFNY said:

o

(MAY 2nd)

A day off for our beloved Birdies, after having split a twinbill against the White Sox yesterday.

Like the Orioles, the Devil Rays (their upcoming opponent) played a doubleheader yesterday ........ unlike the Orioles, they lost both ends to the struggling Royals.

o

o

(MAY 5th)

The final contest of a 3-game set with the D-Rays was postponed.

The game will be made up as part of a day-night doubleheader on July 13th.

o

Archived