20 games in 20 days, 6 games in 5 days ... over

SteveA

So assuming we drop to a 5 man rotation now, which of these 5 is NOT in the rotation?

Cobb

Cashner

Bundy

Hess

Means

Straily

I also think we go to 13 position players because this 3 man bench is tough to manage.   Who goes down?   Who comes up?   (If I am right about that).

50 minutes ago, SteveA said:

So assuming we drop to a 5 man rotation now, which of these 5 is NOT in the rotation?

Cobb

Cashner

Bundy

Hess

Means

Straily

I also think we go to 13 position players because this 3 man bench is tough to manage.   Who goes down?   Who comes up?   (If I am right about that).

I am not sure they go to bigger bench.  I assumed it two weeks ago but we seem to be using the pen up ever game because starters are only going 5 innings or less, we may need to see deeper starts before we go to 7 man pen.

I don’t think Dylan Bundy is a bullpen guy. He may not be a starter guy either.  He pitched a few games from the pen in 2016 but none in minors or other seasons up here.    Try to see what Bundy either can or can’t do this year so decisions can then be made about going forward.   I think he is what he is, a post surgical changed pitcher who would have to have Greg Maddux control to be even marginally successful.  Hess or Straily. 

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I don’t think Dylan Bundy is a bullpen guy. He may not be a starter guy either.  He pitched a few games from the pen in 2016 but none in minors or other seasons up here.    Try to see what Bundy either can or can’t do this year so decisions can then be made about going forward.   I think he is what he is, a post surgical changed pitcher who would have to have Greg Maddux control to be even marginally successful.  Hess or Straily. 

My hope for Bundy being successful out of the pen is that his velocity would see enough of an uptick.

This is so weird, we're arguing about who the worst of our mediocre (at best) pitchers needs to go.  

Bundy has shown some improvement, although as I've said I think he is who he is at this point.  Great one game, then will have a terrible start.  And he's about due for that terrible start.

I think if you're going to put one in the bullpen, it's Hess.  I prefer Bundy, but that's not praise for Bundy.  

I would love to see a 4 man bench but I doubt they have enough confidence to try it right now.  

I would rather see Hess sent to AAA before the pen. He needs to continue to start. Exhaust any chance he has to make it as a starter before moving him to pen.  

7 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

My hope for Bundy being successful out of the pen is that his velocity would see enough of an uptick.

I really don’t think he could hit 96 if you put a gun to his head and tell him to throw it 100 percent effort.  Unfortunately  I think his arm and shoulder are what they are. And his flyball, control issues are going to be even harder problems for the team in the pen.  

Look at his average velocity game logs from 2016 to now.  He was sitting well over 95 in 2016 and now is closer to an average of 90.  Sad. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=12917&position=P&statArr=&legend=1&split=base&time=daily&start=2016&end=2019&rtype=mult&gt1=15&dStatArray=FA&ymin=&ymax=

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I really don’t think he could hit 96 if you put a gun to his head and tell him to throw it 100 percent effort.  Unfortunately  I think his arm and shoulder are what they are. And his flyball, control issues are going to be even harder problems for the team in the pen.  

Look at his average velocity game logs from 2016 to now.  He was sitting well over 95 in 2016 and now is closer to an average of 90.  Sad. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=12917&position=P&statArr=&legend=1&split=base&time=daily&start=2016&end=2019&rtype=mult&gt1=15&dStatArray=FA&ymin=&ymax=

Best hope for him might be if he could learn to throw left handed.

The opponent's OPS Bundy's first time through the order is .491.

The opponent's OPS Bundy's second time through the order is 1.386.

He's an opener or middle reliever, to me. I just worry about him in high leverage situations because of his HR rate. OTOH, you don't keep a guy on the roster expecting him to throw 2-3 innings once every 5 days, so he probably really should be moved to the pen.

• Upvote 1