Exclusive Orioles Hangout Interview: One on One with Mike Elias

Tony-OH

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

they will perfect the model, and we wont need live scouts, it will be like the self check out lines. just scan the label. :)

I can understand needing less scouts with this stuff and i couldn't imagine saying that years ago, but then again, trackman and statcast data wasn't available then. 

There is a still a long way to go on the amateur side, especially high school though.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I can understand needing less scouts with this stuff and i couldn't imagine saying that years ago, but then again, trackman and statcast data wasn't available then. 

There is a still a long way to go on the amateur side, especially high school though.

sad thats the way society is going, robot to stock shelves, fill order, even out delivering amazon orders.

robot cars driving, all ways to make things better and safer.

Yet, at what cost, so people dont have jobs?

Sorry, i went off on a rabbit.

Will crawl back into my foxhole.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

sad thats the way society is going, robot to stock shelves, fill order, even out delivering amazon orders.

Unlike many here, you are probably old enough to remember the comic strip Li’l Abner.    The author, Al Capp, created a creature called the Schmoo that basically filled all human needs so that nobody needed to work, leading to disaster.    Very similar to what you are envisioning.   

I also remember a TV commercial from when I was a boy about a world where robots just carry disembodied (but living) human heads from place to place, as their bodies had withered away from lack of use.     Here it is:   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Unlike many here, you are probably old enough to remember the comic strip Li’l Abner.    The author, Al Capp, created a creature called the Schmoo that basically filled all human needs so that nobody needed to work, leading to disaster.    Very similar to what you are envisioning.   

I also remember a TV commercial from when I was a boy about a world where robots just carry disembodied (but living) human heads from place to place, as their bodies had withered away from lack of use.     Here it is:   

Im old enough for sure. Grandfather of 6 and father of 4, my oldest is 39 and my baby is 27.

27 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

That’s why I’m glad I’m old. 

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I remember Lil Abner. Al Capp. Nancy and Slugo. All those great comics. 

11 hours ago, baltfan said:

Good interview.  Interesting how it wasn’t a surprise to him that people were talking about Brady maybe having been let go.  I hope that Brady can help and not interfere like he is saying.  I believe Brady’s intentions have always been good. 

The Brady thing isn't really about Brady.   It's about the fact that Peter Angelos listened to him more than other baseball guys and made bad decisions because of it.

So I was never concerned that Brady wasn't "fired".   To me, the question is -- is PGA out of the loop and no longer interfering, or not.   If he is out of the loop, Brady's magical influence goes away and he can do no harm.   If he isn't out of the loop, that is a problem in and of itself.

This idea that Brady was a malignant tumor that had to be excised was never the real problem.   The problem was that he was given authority beyond that of his title by virtue of having the ear of ownership.   If we really have a true chain of command with Elias being parameters to work with and then being completely on his own to do his job within those parameters, there's no harm Brady can cause by having the ear of ownership.   If we don't have that true chain of command, then we have a problem whether Brady is here or not.

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

they will perfect the model, and we wont need live scouts, it will be like the self check out lines. just scan the label. :)

Less scouts but more player development coaches, once everyone is done perfecting projecting future performance based on statistics and trackman/rapsodo data, the trick to get ahead will be finding players who have untapped potential that can be developed. Some of that is already happening, but it's a long way from being perfected. Finding guys that are held back by deficiencies in areas that a team knows how to fix.

Those deficiencies could be bat path, physical strength, joint ROM for pitchers, pitching mechanics in general, etc.

Archived