O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

In last years draft Elias was heavy into college position players and college players overall.  The trend continues.  Everyone waiting for the overslot HS pitcher.  Odds are the next pick is another college guy. 

I’d be surprised if Elias puts his eggs in one basket. 

After sleeping on it and reading more about Hjerstad, I feel a little better about that pick.   But I don’t believe that Westburg will hit at the MLB level.  Hopefully they’ll have an expanded fall prospect program so our young guys can get into some game action this year.

6 hours ago, NCRaven said:

After sleeping on it and reading more about Hjerstad, I feel a little better about that pick.   But I don’t believe that Westburg will hit at the MLB level.  Hopefully they’ll have an expanded fall prospect program so our young guys can get into some game action this year.

I agree that Westburg is a bigger risk than the average early collegiate pick, but his upside is just as tantalizing.  I think if he can hit .270'ish at the ML level, he'll be a really good player. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, weams said:

I’d be surprised if Elias puts his eggs in one basket. 

Yea, I have to imagine they had numerous scenarios modeled out re: overslot. I don't buy the notion that the strategy was a failure already because they missed on "the one guy" they were planning to go overslot on at 30.

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

Yea, I have to imagine they had numerous scenarios modeled out re: overslot. I don't buy the notion that the strategy was a failure already because they missed on "the one guy" they were planning to go overslot on at 30.

Yes, I imagine they are looking to potentially get two pitchers for overslot.  They can talk to them ahead of time and get a good idea.