O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

So we're supposed to sit here and be Orioles bootlickers and cheer on everything they do?

Who's cheering? I'm taking the picks in stride and hoping for the best. We'll know in a few years how they did. Literally nothing else you can do. The woe is us stuff is laughable.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Given minor league contraction, are we even going to have room for all of these outfielders?  We also took 3 college OF in the first 7 rounds last year. 

I would imagine Elias and his team have already identified what guys from the old management team in the system they're ready to move on from, permanently.

9 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Who's cheering? I'm taking the picks in stride and hoping for the best. We'll know in a few years how they did. Literally nothing else you can do. The woe is us stuff is laughable.

Of course we need to see how these guys pan out.  They could be great.  They could be not so great.

But you can't look at this draft so far and say that the Orioles have picked the best player, or one of the best players available at that pick.  

• Upvote 1

I think I have a unifying theory of the O's picks:  Heston, Jordan, Hudson...the O's want to corner the market on players whose first names are actually last names.   So here are some top 100 prospects still on the board as of 5:40 PM prospects that we could take at 74:  Cole Wilcox, Carson Montgomery, Cole Henry, Logan Allen, Clayton Beeter, Tanner Witt, Gage Workman, Tyler Gentry, Chase Davis, Mason Erla, Connor Phillips, and Beck Way.  That is the pool, you heard it here first!

• Upvote 1

The Orioles aren't picking guys that will be up to help the MLB team soon either. Picking guys that strikeout a lot and have swing problems. i am anxious to see improvements within a couple years, and this draft isn't alleviating my fears at all. So many guys with higher upside were available at 39, and much safer picks were available at 2 and 30 (the pick at number 2 is still especially egregious to me).