Hyde, where you at?

Moose Milligan

10 minutes ago, sevastras said:

I don’t know, I watched the entire game. I think there are some coaching lessons but I’m tired of seeing them bring Givens in for more than an inning. If i were Elias, i would tell Hyde that if Givens comes in for an inning, he doesn’t come back out or you will be gone July 31 when Givens isn’t traded. How about Cashner tonight?  Looked pretty nice tonight and hitting 97 in the 6th. 

Like I have said before, the way Hyde manages the bullpen makes me appreciate Buck a lot more.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Like I have said before, the way Hyde manages the bullpen makes me appreciate Buck a lot more.

Not like Buck didn’t leave people in too long. Clearly gassed starting pitchers, relievers lacking command. It was different with Buck because his job was to win games. In my opinion, Hyde’s job is to develop pitchers and to increase/preserve trade value. 

What would earl do?

I would call the 25-man together DFA guys, send down guys, call out guys, and reinforce To them that they suck, we know it,”...and you’re only here as long as you suck less than the next guy, and tonight you didn’t so you’re gone!”

18 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Sorry, but I missed the end of the 8th inning.   Why was Armstrong removed?   I just don't understand why Givens keeps getting sent out there in the 8th inning. 

Exorcising the Buck demon.  Not working IMHO.

37 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Not like Buck didn’t leave people in too long. Clearly gassed starting pitchers, relievers lacking command. It was different with Buck because his job was to win games. In my opinion, Hyde’s job is to develop pitchers and to increase/preserve trade value. 

That was one of my biggest pet peeves with Buck. So many times he left a starter in the game one batter too long. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That was one of my biggest pet peeves with Buck. So many times he left a starter in the game one batter too long. 

And yet his bullpen was near the top in IP pretty much every year.   You can only go to the well so often.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And yet his bullpen was near the top in IP pretty much every year.   You can only go to the well so often.  

Buck was usually pretty good at letting his bullpen guys get enough rest in between appearances.  Which was amazing due to the mediocre starting pitching. 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Pulling Armstrong was certainly questionable there, but I won’t kill Hyde for that one because Givens has been on a roll and most nights is easily capable of getting 4 outs.  

He said on postgame he liked the Givens matchup. 

I thought at the time it was a bit odd. I could see if tying run was at the plate.  

For me, it's not the bullpen stuff.  It's easy to 2nd guess bullpen moves especially when they don't work out.  It's the easiest thing for an armchair manager to do.

My big issue from last night guys making stupid mental errors.  Not seeming to know what to do in certain situations.  

Some of us have said we like watching this team....and I do, even though they suck.  Much more interesting than last years squad.

That said, they look like one of the more dumb teams I can remember.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

For me, it's not the bullpen stuff.  It's easy to 2nd guess bullpen moves especially when they don't work out.  It's the easiest thing for an armchair manager to do.

My big issue from last night guys making stupid mental errors.  Not seeming to know what to do in certain situations.  

Some of us have said we like watching this team....and I do, even though they suck.  Much more interesting than last years squad.

Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think what happened last night has been a theme of the season. 

The one DH in Chicago was messy the one game in Cleveland was bad. 

They need to avoid garbage like last night. It ruins even the die hard fans enjoyment of this team.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

If I was the O’s manager, last night’s play would have sent me into rage mode. 

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think what happened last night has been a theme of the season. 

The one DH in Chicago was messy the one game in Cleveland was bad. 

They need to avoid garbage like last night. It ruins even the die hard fans enjoyment of this team.  

Well, you brought up a few moments of stupidity.  I feel like there are more.  

If the goal is to get this team trained up and developed, part of that has to be situational awareness and having your players know what to do.  

Archived