Who are the likely candidates for Aberdeen’s rotation?

Frobby

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I got a really poor report on Lyons from a non-Orioles prospect guy who was at his previous outing. I haven’t seen him yet.

Well, his previous outing was horrendous, so I guess that’s no surprise.   0.2 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 1 K.

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I think the fastball velocity is lackluster as well. But yeah, I’m not writing the guy off on a bad report. 

Here is the interview with nothing really to add except to hear Adley handle the fluff questions:

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 8:49 AM, Frobby said:

With Elias having gone fairly light on pitching in the high rounds of the draft, it raises the question of who is likely to be in Aberdeen’s rotation.    Here’s my guess at the candidates (note: I know nothing about these guys’ health):

1.   Jimmy Murphy (24) — an 8th rounder in 2017, Murphy had a 3.53 ERA in 11 starts and 4 relief appearances for Aberdeen last year, but is not on a full season squad.

2.  Willie Rios (23) — a 16th rounder in 2016, Rios had a 5.32 ERA in 12 appearances (9 starts) at Aberdeen last year.

3.  Kevin Magee (23) — a 9th rounder last year, he tossed two games in the GCL before moving up to Aberdeen, where he mostly pitched relief but also started three games, posting a 1.51 ERA overall in the NY-Penn League.

4.   Jake Zebron (19) — an 18th rounder last year, he posted a 2.97 ERA in the GCL in 3 starts and 8 relief appearances.

5.  Leonardo Rodriguez (21) — a Dominican signee, he made the most starts (10) and threw the most innings (47.2) of any of our GCL pitchers last year, posting a 4.34 ERA.

6.   Dallas Litscher (23) — a 10th rounder last year, he started 8 games and had 4 relief appearances in the GCL, posting a 5.00 ERA.

7.   Griffin McLarty (20) — this year’s 8th rounder, he already has thrown 101 innings this year to a 1.87 ERA at the College of Charleston.    My guess is he’ll be lightly used, maybe 25-30 innings.  

8.   Connor Gillispie (21) — our 9th rounder this year, he threw 86 innings in 20 starts for VCU.   He didn’t pitch deep in games and I’d think has a little more left in the tank than McLarty.

9.   Kade Strowd (21) — this year’s 12th pick, he threw 79.2 innings over 15 starts for West Virginia, to a 4.97 ERA.

10.   Dan Hammer (21) — this year’s 13th pick, he threw 66 innings for Pitt, to a 6.55 ERA.

I’ll cut it off there, as Strowd and Hammer appear to me to be more likely candidates for the GCL than Aberdeen.  

One other longshot could be Yeancarlos Lleras, our 2018 6th rounder who got batted around in the GCL (8.31 ERA) but was only 17 years old.  But I expect he’ll repeat the GCL.

Overall, it looks like a weak group.   This team had better hit!

This post was so wrong on so many levels.     Here’s a list of who started for Aberdeen:

Kevin Magee, 15 starts, 2.04 ERA

Ryan Conroy,15 starts, 2.64 ERA

Leonardo Rodriguez, 13 starts, 2.65 ERA

Jake Lyons, 7 starts, 2.87 ERA

Dan Hammer, 6 starts, 1.29 ERA

Dallas Litscher, 6 starts, 2.23 ERA (promoted to Delmarva)

Adam Stauffer, 5 starts, 1.07 ERA (promoted to Delmarva)

Houston Roth, 4 starts, 1.42 ERA

Marcos Molina, 2 starts, 4.50 ERA 

James Ryan, 1 start, 1.04 ERA

Kade Strowd, 1 start, 0.00 ERA.

Murphy, Rios and Zebron, mentioned in the OP, weren’t even on the Aberdeen roster, while McLarty and Gillispie pitched strictly in relief.   Strowd made one start but pitched primarily in relief. I didn’t even mention Conroy, Lyons or Stauffer.

Overall, the Aberdeen staff did a great job, easily having the best ERA in the NY-Penn League.   It will be fascinating to see who gets the call for Delmarva’s rotation next year.    

• Upvote 3