Who are the likely candidates for Aberdeen’s rotation?

Frobby

Dallas Litscher got the Game 3 start and produced 5.2 shutout innings, allowing 2 hits and 2 walks while striking out 7.

Yesterday, Magee was pulled after 3.2 innings, in which he allowed one run (earned) on 2 hits and a walk, striking out 3.    I’m not sure why he was pulled so quickly.    

So far, our starters have been last year’s 8th, 9th and 10th rounders. 

The next phase of the rebuild* would be for a few guys in the DSL, GCL or Aberdeen to emerge as top 20-30 prospects. I'm not referring to the couple of obvious guys like Henderson and Stowers. I'm expecting a few other guys to pop up without much prior discussion when the EOY OH rankings are released. I'm pretty happy with our system as it is, but that would take it to the next level of excitement.

*actually, signing the guys we just drafted and then the international guys on July 2 are the next immediate phases. 

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

The next phase of the rebuild* would be for a few guys in the DSL, GCL or Aberdeen to emerge as top 20-30 prospects. I'm not referring to the couple of obvious guys like Henderson and Stowers. I'm expecting a few other guys to pop up without much prior discussion when the EOY OH rankings are released. I'm pretty happy with our system as it is, but that would take it to the next level of excitement.

*actually, signing the guys we just drafted and then the international guys on July 2 are the next immediate phases. 

Two more weeks to see if this international signing stuff is for real.  Hope so.  

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

It’s really hard for this to happen, because even an excellent performance at these lower levels doesn’t tend to get much notice on these top 30 lists, and even if they do, those rankings often turn out to be premature.   E.g. Zach Muckenhirn, who Tony ranked 18th coming into 2017 based on a good NY-Penn league debut.    

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s really hard for this to happen, because even an excellent performance at these lower levels doesn’t tend to get much notice on these top 30 lists, and even if they do, those rankings often turn out to be premature.   E.g. Zach Muckenhirn, who Tony ranked 18th coming into 2017 based on a good NY-Penn league debut.    

Womp womp.

Hoping Tony and/or Luke get some reports on guys that warrants that level of ranking.

I wasn’t a part of the rankings then, but the Muckenhirn ranking wasn’t really that out of place, even in hindsight, the system was weaker then and I don’t think anyone realized that Muckenhirn’s stuff would take a big step back in his first full pro season and force him to the bullpen. He’s a mid 90s lefty with an above average breaking ball now and he’s basically release point consistency away from being a harder throwing Paul Fry. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ouch baby, ouch. And I haven't even brought up Fiorentino is awhile. :D

Saying that, I really saw Muckenhirm good that year. Really felt like he had a chance as a reliever. I will say this though, I haven't seen him this year but he's still striking guys out a bunch and dominating lefties. Don't rule out him ending up a big leaguer and making my ranking look good overall. ;)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Well, I didn’t see this one coming.   Tonight’s starter was Adam Stauffer, our 19th rounder from 2017, who has spent the last two summers in the GCL and only threw 15.2 innings combined.   In his debut tonight, he threw 4 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K’s.    He’s only 20, let’s hope he’s an undiscovered gem. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, I didn’t see this one coming.   Tonight’s starter was Adam Stauffer, our 19th rounder from 2017, who has spent the last two summers in the GCL and only threw 15.2 innings combined.   In his debut tonight, he threw 4 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K’s.    He’s only 20, let’s hope he’s an undiscovered gem. 

A huge bodied kid who was a velocity jump guy his senior year of HS into the mid 90s if I remember correctly. But raw, without much else, and I think the velocity backed up from GCL reports.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I wasn’t a part of the rankings then, but the Muckenhirn ranking wasn’t really that out of place, even in hindsight, the system was weaker then and I don’t think anyone realized that Muckenhirn’s stuff would take a big step back in his first full pro season and force him to the bullpen. He’s a mid 90s lefty with an above average breaking ball now and he’s basically release point consistency away from being a harder throwing Paul Fry. 

This is just the problem with the depth of the system. Maybe after the draft picks sign, some deadline deals, our top 30 might be average compared to most MLB teams. The problem lies in the depth through rankings 31-75. 

I know we’re not big fans of mlbpipeline but it’s a useful tool to illustrate this exact point. Teams like the LAD, or NYY, can trade 5-7 top 30 guys for in season improvements, and they have guys inserted into their top 30s that are on a whole different level than us. 

This is where the lack of international signings have just killed us. 

Ex.  The Yankees traded a guy for Edwin Encarnacion. The guy that then moves into the #30 spot on their top 30 signed for $1.85 million from the Caribbean. That’s pretty much the same slot value that Gunnar Henderson will sign for, and we’re arguing that he’s a top 10 prospect for us. 

Leonardo Rodriguez rounded out the Aberdeen rotation yesterday, and Ryan Conroy made his second start tonight.    So, it’s Conroy, Magee, Litscher, Stauffer and Rodriguez for now.    

Conroy (22): 2018 8th rounder

Magee (23): 2018 9th rounder

Litscher (23): 2018 10th rounder

Stauffer (20): 2017 19th rounder

Rodriguez (21): pre-2017 amateur free agent    

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

So, the IronBirds have run through their rotation four times, with Dallas Litscher getting skipped this last turn and throwing an inning of relief instead.    Here’s how they’ve looked:

Ryan Conroy (22),  19 IP, 2.84 ERA, 1.47 WHIP, 9.0 K/9.    But hasn’t pitched well his last two outings.   

Kevin Magee (23), 14.2 IP, 4.30 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 8.0 K/9.

Dallas Litscher (23), 14.2 IP, 2.45 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 9.2 K/9

Adam Stauffer (20), 20.1 IP, 1.33 ERA, 0.79 WHIP, 11.1 K/9

Leonardo Rodriguez (21), 21.0 IP, 2.14 ERA, 1.00 WHIP,  11.1 K/9

Now that the 2019 draft class is pretty much on board, it will be interesting to see whether these five continue to man the rotation, or whether they expand the rotation or substitute for some of these players.   Certainly Stauffer and Rodriguez have looked the most impressive so far.    

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cboemmeljr said:

I wrote a piece on Dallas Litscher recently and his college picked it up (don't think I should be called a "local sportswriter", though). 

https://uskathletics.com/news/2019/7/15/baseball-check-in-usk-mlb-draftees.aspx

I decided to do some cursory research into this kid. I don't know what his velocity looks like, but he's 6'8". That's tall. I know he has some control challenges, but that's to be expected for a guy that big. He's walking 3.2/9 this year so far, which isn't great by any means but also isn't terrible.

You have to wonder if a guy who's this big and starts to harness some kind of control can have a future in the big leagues. Hopefully his stuff is good, because the size could be helpful.

On 7/4/2019 at 11:40 PM, Frobby said:

So, the IronBirds have run through their rotation four times, with Dallas Litscher getting skipped this last turn and throwing an inning of relief instead.    Here’s how they’ve looked:

Ryan Conroy (22),  19 IP, 2.84 ERA, 1.47 WHIP, 9.0 K/9.    But hasn’t pitched well his last two outings.   

Kevin Magee (23), 14.2 IP, 4.30 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 8.0 K/9.

Dallas Litscher (23), 14.2 IP, 2.45 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 9.2 K/9

Adam Stauffer (20), 20.1 IP, 1.33 ERA, 0.79 WHIP, 11.1 K/9

Leonardo Rodriguez (21), 21.0 IP, 2.14 ERA, 1.00 WHIP,  11.1 K/9

Now that the 2019 draft class is pretty much on board, it will be interesting to see whether these five continue to man the rotation, or whether they expand the rotation or substitute for some of these players.   Certainly Stauffer and Rodriguez have looked the most impressive so far.    

Stauffer already earned a promotion to Delmarva. Who takes his spot in the Aberdeen rotation?  Hammer?