Tyler Skaggs dead.

weams

6 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Maybe that's becoming more of the standard today, but I don't assume that to always be the case.  My best friend died 34 years ago of a sudden heart attack from a congenital condition.  He was 23, never took drugs.

That's unfortunate and I am sorry for your loss.

But when it happens to an athlete I just figure there's something else at play.  They're constantly around drugs, be it Jose Fernandez and his cocaine on a boat to someone taking pills to help dull the pain.  

On 8/30/2019 at 8:51 PM, 24fps said:

There are oral-delivery versions of fentanyl as well, but I have a hard time imagining him being in the kind of pain that would require oxycodone much less fentanyl.  Pharmaceutical fentanyl is dangerous enough, if he got his hands on some street stuff, God knows the purity or what else was in it.

Glad you havent had that kind of pain.

I blew my back out, rupture disk, and oxycodone was really strong and took most of the pain away, but only for half of the time of the dosage. 

I pray to God Almighty, I am never in that kind of shape again, the pain was excuiating, and I usually have a high tolerance for pain.

Lucky for me, I was determine not to get hook, but its easy to see why people take more or sooner, than they are supposed to.

On 9/1/2019 at 4:22 PM, Moose Milligan said:

But when it happens to an athlete I just figure there's something else at play.  They're constantly around drugs, be it Jose Fernandez and his cocaine on a boat to someone taking pills to help dull the pain.  

They also have access to money.

On 9/1/2019 at 4:22 PM, Moose Milligan said:

I felt bad about the other guys that Jose killed. And their families. I felt bad for the girls that got killed in the Dominican drunk driving  MLB wrecks. You can look up the names. I know them.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, atomic said:

Plenty of people with no money are on addictive drugs.  

Of course they are, but, typically, they do things to get that money, and end up, going in and out of jail as a result. I am very familiar with this as I saw my own nephew follow this route, until he OD.

Celebrities/Ball Players with money, rarely end up in jail. They end up in the news, going to rehab or on tmz because they overdosed.

You might want to watch, the A&E show, 60 Days in Nacroland, and its goes behind the scenes and tries to show the problems.

20 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Of course they are, but, typically, they do things to get that money, and end up, going in and out of jail as a result. I am very familiar with this as I saw my own nephew follow this route, until he OD.

Celebrities/Ball Players with money, rarely end up in jail. They end up in the news, going to rehab or on tmz because they overdosed.

You might want to watch, the A&E show, 60 Days in Nacroland, and its goes behind the scenes and tries to show the problems.

Sorry to hear about your Nephew.   Seems like we have a big drug addiction problem in this country. Hopefully some day we will try and help the people addicted.  I will try and watch that show. 

Just goes to show you that no matter how much money you have, you can never solve all of your problems. I think the desire to alter the mind through intoxication is in our genes and isn't going anywhere, but I would guess Skaggs got into opiate use to deal with pain associated with his profession to some degree. I would much rather players be allowed to smoke weed for these purposes instead. It'll never kill them. Only question is was there an addiction involved?

Also, I've never been a big fan of the "who gave these drugs to him" witch hunts. Tyler Skaggs was an adult capable of making his own decisions and he mixed two opiates with alcohol. Fentanyl is an incredibly powerful opiate (Thanks, China!), so I don't know what he was doing and it's hard to imagine a doctor with any integrity would tell anyone to mix these things. Skaggs made a bad decision and it unfortunately cost him his life.

I've been close to an addicted person or two. Socio-economic status really has little do to with anything IMO. Rich, poor, middle class; they all do drugs of which alcohol is included since it is a mind-altering drug and a hard drug at that. Everyone has their reasons and some of them end up dead eventually. Besides, it's easy to get drugs in prison. Probably not a good idea for many reasons, but pretty easy to get.

• 1 month later...

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/27828247/los-angeles-angels-employee-details-team-knowledge-tyler-skaggs-drug-use-federal-dea-investigators-espn?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

A public relations employee for the Los Angeles Angels told federal investigators that he provided oxycodone to Tyler Skaggs and abused it with him for years, and that two team officials were told about Skaggs' drug use long before his death, according to two sources familiar with the investigation.

Kay told DEA investigators that hours before Skaggs' death in July, Skaggs was in his Southlake Hilton hotel room and texted Kay to visit him, according to a source familiar with what Kay told the DEA. Kay also told investigators that Skaggs snorted three lines of crushed opioids in front of him, the sources said. Kay recognized that two of the lines could have been crushed oxycodone, but the third was not a substance he recognized, the sources said.

Kay has sought treatment for substance abuse twice this year, according to his mother and his wife, Camela. While recovering in the hospital from an overdose on April 22, Kay received a text from Skaggs seeking drugs, they said.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Kay also told DEA agents that he believed at least five other players were also using opiates, and that at least 2 team officials had been notified of Skaggs' drug use well before his death ... first mentioning it back in 2017, apparently.

• Thanks 2