2019 Trade Deadline

sportsfan8703

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Texas is looking for controllable bats and is considering Mancini, meanwhile all I hear around here is that there's no way Mancini can be a part of the next good Orioles team and that he's too old or something.

And why would a smart, well run team like the Rays be considering him, too?  

Rays did sign Balfour after he failed the O's physical, so they aren't infallible.

The Rays are also a team on pace to win 90, after winning 90 last year and have the top farm system in baseball.  So kinda not the same situation as the O's.

Just now, interloper said:

Well, because they have a chance to win a World Series this year, basically, and he'd help out a lot with that. 

For the record I think Trey COULD be a part of the next good O's team (no one has ever qualified what "good" means, either). 

I define good as realistic playoff contender.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see the Braves.  I don't think they want him in the outfield and I don't think they would want to trade for someone whose cost will be inflated by extra years of team control that I don't think Atlanta covets.

Agreed - I don't see Atlanta being interested in Mancini and just mildly interested in Givens.  To replace Markakis, they're mostly going with essentially a platoon of Inciarte and Duvall.  Mancini just isn't enough of an upgrade to make them disrupt the roster.  And while Atl definitely should upgrade their bullpen, they need reliability.  Givens has the ability, but he just hasn't been very consistent.  He could still be an upgrade for Atl, but I don't see them giving up one of their prime prospects.  The best I could see them giving up is Travis Demerritte - who could possibly be a super-utility type who's better offensively than defensively and strikes out a lot.  At 24, he's OPSing well over .900 in AAA.  

3 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Ummm...because those teams are already good? Seems pretty obvious.

Rangers are .500 exactly.  I wouldn't call them good.  And their farm system isn't ranked as better than ours in practically any publication.  

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Well, because they have a chance to win a World Series this year, basically, and he'd help out a lot with that. 

For the record I think Trey COULD be a part of the next good O's team (no one has ever qualified what "good" means, either). 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Rays did sign Balfour after he failed the O's physical, so they aren't infallible.

The Rays are also a team on pace to win 90, after winning 90 last year and have the top farm system in baseball.  So kinda not the same situation as the O's.

I think teams should be looking for controllable bats/arms no matter what situation they're in.  So only "good" teams should be able to value controllable assets?  If good teams are valuing controllable assets, shouldn't wannabe good teams be interested in them as well?  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think teams should be looking for controllable bats/arms no matter what situation they're in.  So only "good" teams should be able to value controllable assets?  If good teams are valuing controllable assets, shouldn't wannabe good teams be interested in them as well?  

Trey is a free agent in 2023. Will the O's be good by then? I think so, personally. So in that regard, Trey could absolutely be a part of the next good O's team. Would he still be good? Who knows. Would he be expensive after another 3 years of arbitration for the level of good that he is? Probably.

I dunno that I want to wait and find out, although I love Trey Mancini. He's certainly not an extension candidate considering his best years will be during his arb years. So he's probably best used as trade bait while his value is at its highest. 

Then again, his value could remain high or get even higher in the offseason. So, I totally get if they wait until then. There's no real rush.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Rangers are .500 exactly.  I wouldn't call them good.  And their farm system isn't ranked as better than ours in practically any publication.  

Nope, only teams that project to be good while the controllable asset is still under control.

In the context of the years 2020-2022 what good is a three win player to the Orioles?  I will accept that an outside chance exists that the 2022 team will be "good" but not the other two.  How much value exists in winning 68 games instead of 66?

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

And he’s cheap

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Texas is looking for controllable bats and is considering Mancini, meanwhile all I hear around here is that there's no way Mancini can be a part of the next good Orioles team and that he's too old or something.

Trey is 27 with controllable years remaining, and thus would be a nice addition to a team that is good/contending currently AND expects to be so over the next few seasons. It's not that Mancini cannot be a part of the next good Orioles team, it's that it would be preferable to build our team around a younger base of players. By the time we are good again (we hope) it will be a few years from now and Mancini's contract will be up and thus more expensive to keep him around in the years most players begin to decline (30+). 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nope, only teams that project to be good while the controllable asset is still under control.

In the context of the years 2020-2022 what good is a three win player to the Orioles?  I will accept that an outside chance exists that the 2022 team will be "good" but not the other two.  How much value exists in winning 68 games instead of 66?

I know we all like to think we know when the Orioles will get good again.  Could happen sooner, could happen later.  

50 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Looking for and completing a deal are two different things.  I don't think the Orioles move Mancini because I don't think he would bring enough back.  But there is no reason why the Orioles should not listen, and teams like the Rays should absolutely check in and see what the price might be.  None of that has anything to do with the bolded line above.  While I think it is unlikely, I don't think it is out of the question.  Especially if for example, several pitchers thrived and arrived ahead of schedule.  In that case Mancini could well be a nugget.  Either way, he is probably the Orioles best current asset and as such should be shopped to see if someone would overpay.

You don't disagree with that do you?