An All New 'I Was Wrong' Thread

Greg Pappas

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

- I thought the O’s made the right choice by allowing Markakis, Cruz and Miller to go and prioritizing JJ Hardy (on the assumption that the O’s really couldn’t afford to keep more than one of them).

To be fair, I don't think that those were the wrong choices. They were choices that didn't work out, but they were the right choices to make.

• Thanks 1

I thought the Davis signing would be solid. Mark me down for thinking Mullins would have a nice year too. Thought Lowther and Wells would struggle in AA (glad they're not!). I thought this year's bullpen would be pretty good, HA!

I thought Patrick Mahomes would be terrible in the NFL (oh wait not O's related xD)

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mondo Trasho said:

To be fair, I don't think that those were the wrong choices. They were choices that didn't work out, but they were the right choices to make.

Well, I agree, but it sure didn’t work out as I would have expected, except maybe as to Markakis.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mondo Trasho said:

Process, not individual results.  Letting Cruz go was 100% the right choice.  You make a habit of signing 34-year-old DHs coming off career years you'll lose 90% of the time.  When Nick left he was 30, coming off a string of sub-two-win seasons.  Normal decline would have him out of the league by now, but instead he's kept chugging along at 1.4 wins per 600 PAs.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I like this exercise in accountability! Let’s see:

1. I predicted last year that Buck would be managing the Braves this year and sign Adam Jones and would reach the World Series. 

2. I thought Colby Rasmus would be a comeback player of the year candidate last year. 

3. I thought Ynoa was going to have a Means-like breakout this year. 

4. I predicted Bleier to be our All Star this year. 

5. I thought we were going to draft someone outside the Top 10 list at 1.1 this year for the sake of signability. 

Put me on Baseball Tonight, baby!!

• Upvote 1

In the spirit of the thread:

1. I at least figured out some financial way that the Davis deal was acceptable when it was signed.

2. I'm pretty sure I called Kyle Davies a mediocre prospect who probably wouldn't work out.

3. I think that at some point I said Josh Hader was more likely to blow out his elbow than have a major league career.

4. I argued for the logic of signing of high-variability, high-ceiling pitchers when they acquired Ubaldo.

5. When I was 10 I was steadfast in my conviction that they were better off with Doug DeCinces at third than Cal.  That may have been wrong.  But in hindsight they should have just moved Cal to short a few months earlier, kept DeCinces, and the '82 Orioles probably win the pennant.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Process, not individual results.  Letting Cruz go was 100% the right choice.  You make a habit of signing 34-year-old DHs coming off career years you'll lose 90% of the time.  When Nick left he was 30, coming off a string of sub-two-win seasons.  Normal decline would have him out of the league by now, but instead he's kept chugging along at 1.4 wins per 600 PAs.

My problem with Markakis leaving wasn't his performance with the Braves. It was the Orioles complete lack of a plan or strategy to adequately replace Markakis. This was the same off season that Duquette flirted with the Blue Jays for club president job and the O's front office did nothing in the off season until it was too late.

And decided that Travis Snyder/Delmon Young/"insert RF here" was a valid way to go. ?‍♂️

• Upvote 1