Chris Davis, 2019

OFFNY

20 hours ago, Larry18 said:

I wonder how these stack up with other aging low average sluggers. Wasn’t Boog done by age 34?

Kind of.  He slipped from MVP candidate to average first baseman right around 30 or 31.  Driven mostly by ever-worsening numbers against lefties.  In his 30s he was mostly a platoon player.  In '74, his last year with the O's he only had 47 PAs against lefties and a .591 OPS.  Had a very solid year with the Indians at 33, but even then hit .220 with a .753 OPS vs. Lefties.

His last season was roughly 50 pinch hitting appearances for the Dodgers at 35.

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Kind of.  He slipped from MVP candidate to average first baseman right around 30 or 31.  Driven mostly by ever-worsening numbers against lefties.  In his 30s he was mostly a platoon player.  In '74, his last year with the O's he only had 47 PAs against lefties and a .591 OPS.  Had a very solid year with the Indians at 33, but even then hit .220 with a .753 OPS vs. Lefties.

His last season was roughly 50 pinch hitting appearances for the Dodgers at 35.

Boog fell rapidly but I don’t think it was anything like the Davis decline.  The platoon part was also driven by the Orioles getting Earl Williams in 1973 who came with a lot of hype and needing a place to play him in 1973 and 1974 when he wasn’t catching,   And Boog was not happy at all with that decision which also contributed to him being traded.  He was injured the year after his good age 33 season with Cleveland and then hung it up after a limited backup season in LA. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

They're down overall since 2015 yeah, but highest since 2017.

Not really.   Only barrel percentage was slightly up from 2018 (10.3) to 2019 (10.7), and that pales in comparison with even 2017 (12.8).   Exit velocity is flat (89.0 both years and down from 89.9 in 2017), while hard hit % continued to decline (39.6% this year, down from 40.1% in 2018 and 45.1% in 2017).    Overall, to me that doesn’t paint the picture that he’s hitting the ball harder than he has in years.   About the best you can say is that didn’t get any worse in 2019 than the terrible level he was at in 2018.

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not really.   Only barrel percentage was slightly up from 2018 (10.3) to 2019 (10.7), and that pales in comparison with even 2017 (12.8).   Exit velocity is flat (89.0 both years and down from 89.9 in 2017), while hard hit % continued to decline (39.6% this year, down from 40.1% in 2018 and 45.1% in 2017).    Overall, to me that doesn’t paint the picture that he’s hitting the ball harder than he has in years.   About the best you can say is that didn’t get any worse in 2019 than the terrible level he was at in 2018.

Well I stand corrected! Earlier in  the season I remember looking this up and he had been much improved compared to 2018 and 2017, but it looks like it didn't hold up the rest of the season. Which isn't surprising at all, of course. 

• 1 month later...

Well, in my opinion we can probably forget any thoughts about Chris Davis choosing retirement any time soon.

I just saw on the Baltimore Sun's Twitter feed that Chris and Jill Davis just promised $3 million to charity.

I'm willing to bet that no one gives $3 million to a good cause unless they believe that they are in a pretty secure position of being able to replace that money. I would guess that rules out the idea that in May Chris will up and retire from baseball for lack of productivity.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Carllamy said:

Well, in my opinion we can probably forget any thoughts about Chris Davis choosing retirement any time soon.

I just saw on the Baltimore Sun's Twitter feed that Chris and Jill Davis just promised $3 million to charity.

I'm willing to bet that no one gives $3 million to a good cause unless they believe that they are in a pretty secure position of being able to replace that money. I would guess that rules out the idea that in May Chris will up and retire from baseball for lack of productivity.

38 minutes ago, Carllamy said:

I think it is more about his daughter.

The space will be called the Evelyn Kay Davis Congenital Hybrid Catheterization Suite, named after the Davises’ daughter, Evie, who was born with a ventricular septal defect in January 2018.

1 hour ago, Carllamy said:

Anyone who has any thoughts that Chris Davis or most anyone is going to walk away from his contract is deluding themselves.  I think it is time to release him but I don't blame him for not retiring.   The money is 100% guaranteed.  He like most of us is going to collect it.

But Davis doesn’t plan to make dramatic mechanical changes in 2020. He said the Orioles asked whether he would be interested in attending a private hitting school this offseason, but he wonders how much he could change at his age.

“They’ve basically left it in my hands and said, ‘If this is something that you want to do, we’ll do everything that we can to help,’ but I’m 33; I’ll be 34 in March,” Davis said. “How many years is this, 10, 11? My career is obviously … I’m on the back side of my career. I don’t think there’s going to be a massive swing overhaul where I’m changing mechanically and spreading out. That’s just not gonna happen.

1 minute ago, Dipper9 said:

Wow.  I would think he'd be willing to do anything he can to get better.  Sounds like he is just accepting that he's gonna be a .180 hitter until he's released?  

I'd like to see there be a special ceremony on opening day where they hand him his release and have him remove his uniform.