I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

I just read through this whole thread and enjoyed the discussion.  What the O's will do with Villar is one of the more intriguing O's topic.

I would like to point out a few things:

1) Elias' focus is not 2020 its 2022-2023.  That is when the O's should have its three high first round draft picks in the majors.  DL Hall, Rodriguez and Rutschman.

2)  Elias has also stated that being a .500 team is not his focus.  Its winning the WS.

3) Elias did offer Villar 4.8m this season.  Along with millions for Bundy and Givens.  So if he think the player has value he will spend the going rate for him.  Elias knew last winter that Villar would be 31 in 2022 when he gave him 4.8m.

I think Elias will tender Villar.  Whether Villar is on the O's in 2020 is probably a function of what other teams offer for him in trade.  If its something that help the O's in 2022/23 or beyond  he is probably gone.   If no one offers something that Elias values he will probably be with the O's next season.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Win Column said:

I just don't understand how a team - and I don't care whether it's contending, rebuilding, tanking, whatever - would non-tender a nearly 4 WAR player.

Especially if said player could be trade bait next year. Obviously no one bit on him this year or enough for the Orioles to pull the trigger and Villar has flaws, but he does have enough that he could be valuable to have for our rebuilding club.

4 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

Especially if said player could be trade bait next year. Obviously no one bit on him this year or enough for the Orioles to pull the trigger and Villar has flaws, but he does have enough that he could be valuable to have for our rebuilding club.

Villar is a decent cog, to help field a team, while it rebuilds and add better player.

I would not look for him to be here long term. IMO

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I just read through this whole thread and enjoyed the discussion.  What the O's will do this Villar is one of the more intriguing O's topic.

I would like to point out a few things:

1) Elias focus is not 2020 its 2022-2023.  The is when the O's should have its three high first round draft picks in the majors.  DL Hall, Rodriguez and Rutschman.

2)  Elias has also stated that being a .500 team is not his focus.  Its winning the WS.

3) Elias did offer Villar 4.8m this season.  Along with millions for Bundy and Givens.  So if he think the player has value he will spend the going rate for him.  Elias knew last winter that Villar would be 31 in 2022 when he gave him 4.8m.

I think Elias will tender Villar.  Whether Villar is on the O's in 2020 is probably a function of what other teams offer for him in trade.  If it something that help the O's in 2022/23 or beyond  he is probably gone.   If no one offers something that Elias values he will probably be with the O's next season.  

I think Elias will trade Villar before the tender deadline, and even throw in a couple million dollars to sweeten the pot.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Villar is a decent cog, to help field a team, while it rebuilds and add better player.

I would not look for him to be here long term. IMO

I'm certainly with you on that, but we also want to be competitive I gather and letting Villar go I think doesn't help.  Who is our next SS? Richie Martin? Zach Vincej? Jack Reinheimer? Mason McCoy?  I'd much rather spend an extra $3m on a guy that could bring us something in return for our rebuilding and have him be aggressive than have any of those 4 stopgap. 

Everyone seems focused that no one wanted Villar because he wasn't traded.  Maybe the Brewers were asking too much because the extra years of control he had.  Maybe Elias' asking price was higher because he intends to keep him for the reasons I just stated.  These past few years at the deadlines have been different.  Teams are valuing prospects way more than ever and the prices for players have dropped.  Either way, Villar is flawed and is a player that will fill the void, but I'd much rather watch him for the aggressiveness and playmaking, even if it means the frustration when he makes boneheaded mistakes.

Upcoming SS FA,

Gregorious, Isglesias, Mercer. Pretty much it. 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/shortstop/

Upcoming 2B FA,

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/2nd-base/

More options but not that much quality. Villar should have a market for a team looking to contend next year. A vet, SH, top of order, MI, that can steal you a base. Just like with Givens, Villar will have a much better market than what he had on July 31. If the August deadline still existed he wouldn’t be here. 

26 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Does Villar bring back a promising low-level minor league shortstop if the O's kick in a few million dollars to help pay his salary?

Villar is in that spot where the surplus between his arb salary and his performance is something, but not huge.  Let's swag a $7M salary, $16M value, or thereabouts.  Is that worth a Grade B- A-ball shortstop?  Maybe.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Villar is in that spot where the surplus between his arb salary and his performance is something, but not huge.  Let's swag a $7M salary, $16M value, or thereabouts.  Is that worth a Grade B- A-ball shortstop?  Maybe.

That's why I had the O's kicking in a few million dollars to increase his value. He would be a one-year rental, so his new team would have a limited time to enjoy what surplus value there is.