I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

44 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Villar is a "'good bad player" as he looks good on the current Orioles, but would be a role a player on a legit playoff team. 

28 SB's on pace for nearly 20 HR's, I think alot of teams would take that. He's having a great season and the O's would look foolish not to bring him back. 

39 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Villar is a "'good bad player" as he looks good on the current Orioles, but would be a role a player on a legit playoff team. 

Why do you say this?    He’s having a good year and easily could start on many playoff teams.    Among qualifying 2B, he’s 10th in wOBA, 9th in wRC+, 7th in fWAR.     

I truly don’t understand the lack of respect for Villar by some posters. He’s not an all star, but he’s a solid player having a good season.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Why do you say this?    He’s having a good year and easily could start on many playoff teams.    Among qualifying 2B, he’s 10th in wOBA, 9th in wRC+, 7th in fWAR.     

I truly don’t understand the lack of respect for Villar by some posters. He’s not an all star, but he’s a solid player having a good season.  

Solid player who makes a lot of mistakes. I'm ok with Villar, but he can be very frustrating on defense and running the bases. I'm being too hard on him, but I want to see Elias trade him before he gets tendered $7M for 2020 season.     

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think people forget that Todd Cruz started for the World Champion Orioles.  The '97 O's had Mike Bordick and his .601 OPS starting at short, and they gave over 30 starts to pitchers with 6+ ERAs.  Jonathan Schoop hit .209/.244/.354 for the 96-win 2014 Orioles, and Ryan Flaherty got 312 PAs for that team.

Even very good teams aren't wall-to-wall great.  They just have more good than bad.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Villar is a 2.5-win player, on pace for 3+.  There can't have been five teams in MLB history who had 3-win players at every position.  There may have been none.  An average 90+ win team has multiple positions where they're below-average.

The '27 Yankees gave about 1000 PAs and 450 innings to below-average players.

Trolling again I see. We went through this drill at the trade deadline. We looked at all the contending teams (at the time) and surmised that only one or two (at most) would view him as an upgrade over their current 2B. You can argue until your blue in the face about how good you think Villar is, but at the end of the day the fact that no team wanted him at the trade deadline speaks volumes. He was also pretty much untradeable when he was with the Brewers until the Orioles took him off their hands. They had been very publicly shopping him for years. He's a an accumulator and a "good bad player" as @OsFanSinceThe80ssaid. That description fits him like a glove. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Trolling again I see. We went through this drill at the trade deadline. We looked at all the contending teams (at the time) and surmised that only one or two (at most) would view him as an upgrade over their current 2B. You can argue until your blue in the face about how good you think Villar is, but at the end of the day the fact that no team wanted him at the trade deadline speaks volumes. He was also pretty much untradeable when he was with the Brewers until the Orioles took him off their hands. They had been very publicly shopping him for years. He's a an accumulator and a "good bad player" as @OsFanSinceThe80ssaid. That description fits him like a glove. 

The spite down vote from Drungo. I"m shocked. SHOCKED. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Maybe you should pose that question to every other GM in baseball...because none of them seem to be interested in him.

43 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Maybe you should pose that question to every other GM in baseball...because none of them seem to be interested in him.

...for the price Elias was asking for. Besides, your comment is completely untrue as the Cubs showed interest and discussed such a trade with us. The demand for middle infielders was completely outstripped by the demand for pitching on top of that and teams only have so many resources available to trade. I don't get why you have such a passionate axe to grind against Villar, but it's not a great look or a reasonable one.

2nd base has been, by far, the Orioles most productive position this year. The Orioles are ranked fourth in the American League by Wins Above Average: https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/team_compare.cgi?request=1&year=2019&lg=AL. The Orioles are hovering near the bottom of the AL at many other positions and the second best ranking is at C and DH, both ranked 9th. 

Villar has played the majority of the games at second this year. He's a flawed player, for sure, but he is a valuable player especially when he's paired with Alberto. That said, however, I often find his play extremely frustrating. He would drive me crazy if I managed the Orioles. I think both views of Villar are correct to a large degree: he is a valuable player, especially not as a full time player, but he's also mistake prone and the value metrics probably underestimate the effect of his goofs IMO. 

I think it should also be pointed out that Villar seems to have cleaned up his game with regard to making mistakes on the bases. Maybe I missed some bad plays, but it's been awhile since he's made big mistakes on the bases. His throwing accuracy may be his worst area defensively, but he's certainly athletic enough.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think people forget that Todd Cruz started for the World Champion Orioles.  The '97 O's had Mike Bordick and his .601 OPS starting at short, and they gave over 30 starts to pitchers with 6+ ERAs.  Jonathan Schoop hit .209/.244/.354 for the 96-win 2014 Orioles, and Ryan Flaherty got 312 PAs for that team.

Even very good teams aren't wall-to-wall great.  They just have more good than bad.

I like Villar and would like to see him back at second base with the Orioles next year. He adds some excitement to a team that has, and is likely to have next year, virtually nothing to appeal to fans.

If I were a contending or hoping-to-contend team, my main concern with Villar would be his defense, which would be disqualifying at SS and problematic at second base. (My secondary concern would be his overly aggressive and bad baserunning.)  Good teams generally do not have defensive weaknesses in the middle of the infield. If I'm going to have a second baseman whose fielding concerns me, I want him to be a 35 HR (in inflated 2019 terms) guy who will drive in a lot of runs.

That said, there may be a team out there that can't do better than Villar at 2B and will pay him $3-$4 million next year. 

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

I like Villar and would like to see him back at second base with the Orioles next year. He adds some excitement to a team that has, and is likely to have next year, virtually nothing to appeal to fans.

If I were a contending or hoping-to-contend team, my main concern with Villar would be his defense, which would be disqualifying at SS and problematic at second base. (My secondary concern would be his overly aggressive and bad baserunning.)  Good teams generally do not have defensive weaknesses in the middle of the infield. If I'm going to have a second baseman whose fielding concerns me, I want him to be a 35 HR (in inflated 2019 terms) guy who will drive in a lot of runs.

That said, there may be a team out there that can't do better than Villar at 2B and will pay him $3-$4 million next year. 

But never 7. Right. And there is the rub. The Orioles or anyone the Orioles trade him to will have to pay him close to seven million through arbitration.  So he'll be a non tender. 

• Upvote 1