40 man additions for rule 5 protection?

Philip

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

They are already eating the $77M in time-deferred portions. The only question is whether he is worth the roster spot now.

I altered your original text above.  CD provides a constant reminder to our past glorious run to the playoffs and what our Prado's and Romero's and Rutschman's will bring to the table before they also collapse into infamy.  ⚾

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

When a owner spends 77m he hope the player will turn around.   While the team is projected to lose they is no reason for Elias to address releasing  with ownership.   For what?  A development slot on the roster?   Be the GM for a minute.   Do you really want to have the discussion while you know you are likely to lose anyway?

The owners may not be the brightest bulbs in the world, but they’re not morons.    If they were smart enough to hire Elias, they’re smart enough to know that they have to pay Davis whether he’s playing or not, and that he’s terrible and not getting appreciably better despite everyone’s best efforts, and that the team would be better off putting someone else in his spot.    And yes, I expect Elias to tell them this.   

Honestly there are only two possible reasons to keep Davis:

1.  To hope that he’ll get sick of being an embarrassment to the team and retire of his own volition or propose a buyout.  

2.  Because the team would rather lose than win right now.

No other justification makes any sense whatsoever.    

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

Sorry but I’m ready to dump him. Let someone else take his spot. 

Lots of guys to dump first. I’m down on Phillips, for instance and I don’t give a d_mn if he’s claimed. No loss whatsoever. Ortiz, too, and others.

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The owners may not be the brightest bulbs in the world, but they’re not morons.    If they were smart enough to hire Elias, they’re smart enough to know that they have to pay Davis whether he’s playing or not, and that he’s terrible and not getting appreciably better despite everyone’s best efforts, and that the team would be better off putting someone else in his spot.    And yes, I expect Elias to tell them this.   

Honestly there are only two possible reasons to keep Davis:

1.  To hope that he’ll get sick of being an embarrassment to the team and retire of his own volition or propose a buyout.  

2.  Because the team would rather lose than win right now.

No other justification makes any sense whatsoever.    

How about if they are indifferent  about him being on the roster because they know without better pitching they are bound to lose in 2020.

45 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Well, the deferred money was always after he stopped playing, so to me, this off-season the number is down to 51 mill. 

When does that number get small enough they can swallow?  I always figured he'd get this year.  The results have not been something that appears worthy of a Comeback Player of the Year award.....?  They tried to fix/salvage and it didn't work.  If so, I really think they need to suck it up this off-season.  But I get it's a tough pill to swallow and we'll see when they are willing.  I really wonder if Davis, Angelos', Hyde, Elias can do this another year.  Mentally it has to be pretty bad for everyone (just like it is for us).

23m a year for 3 years in 69m after this season.   About 8m still to earn this season.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

How about if they are indifferent  about him being on the roster because they know without better pitching they are bound to lose in 2020.

Won’t we have better pitching in 2020? Could we possibly have worse?

13 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

True, but it's not really an issue like it is for teams like the Rays or Astros.

There are about 15 DFA-worthy players on the 40 man roster right now. If anything, Elias will struggle to fill it this winter. I would bet Dwight Smith, Cody Caroll, Luis Ortiz, Yacabonis, Tayler Scott, Rio Ruiz, Rondon, Chris Davis, Brooks, Hess, Sheppard, Steve Wilkerson, and Jace Peterson would all clear waivers. Plus some other bullpen guys on the roster are questionable right now.

I pretty much agree. 

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

23m a year for 3 years in 69m after this season.   About 8m still to earn this season.

Remember that a lot of the money is deferred. 23M is just 161 divided by 7.

He's really getting 17M for the next 3 years and then Bonilla-style paydays for a while after.

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

Won’t we have better pitching in 2020? Could we possibly have worse?

From who?  

Means isn't going to better than he did this season.

Bundy may do better but there is no guarantee of that.

Wojo is a question mark.

Will Cobb be healthy?

Akin probably begins the season at AAA.

The Bowie crowd will get at least a half season at AAA if Elias holds to what he has been doing.  Maybe a whole season.

4 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

He's really getting 17M for the next 3 years and then Bonilla-style paydays for a while after.

Sorry I don't see your point.   If you count the deferred money as dollars not paid then there is  17 times 3 equals 51 plus the 42 deferred that is 93m yet to pay.

2 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Good question.  What is the time table with him?

Next year's rotation as of today? Means, Cobb, Bundy, Wojo, Akin would be my hope

Akin is no sure thing.  Elias likes his prospects developed before they get the promotion.  Akin right now  looks like he will not be in the O's rotation at the beginning of 2020. 

2 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

I know I’ve made this point a few times before, but under the collective bargaining agreement, within 18 months after each season is completed, the Orioles have to set aside in an escrow account a discounted sum that is expected to be sufficient to pay the deferred comp for that season when it’s due.   By this point, the O’s already have escrowed the money that funds the first $12 mm of his deferred comp, and they will have escrowed all the money by 2024, even though the actual payments run through 2037.    So, it’s not as if the deferred payments don’t affect cash flow now.   

• Upvote 2

Just now, wildcard said:

Akin is no sure thing.  Elias likes his prospects developed before they get the promotion.  Akin right now  looks like he will not be in the O's rotation at the beginning of 2020. 

I’d be very surprised if he is.