I hate the Yankees

25 Nuggets

36 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yankees could have hired a robot to be manager. Boone is just doing what the analytics team tells him. 

Isn't on-field stuff about 15% of a modern manager's job?  And like 80% of that 15% is keeping the bullpen straight.  The manager is mainly there to handle the press and interactions with the GM and front office and keeping the clubhouse from devolving into Dick Allen vs. everyone.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

That's an expression of pure shock. But it doesn't look good at all. Better to lower your head and walk off the mound quickly.

Yeah it's not really a smile even if it looked like one.  He's a good pitcher I think he only gave up like 3 or 4 HR all year. His last pitch was not really a mistake it was a borderline strike high and outside corner not the type of pitch that is usually taken out for a HR. 

8 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Boone is way in over his head. I still can't figure why they replaced Girardi, a real baseball manager, with this guy. Actually, I know. He is a yes man to Cashman.

I'm not sure why the Yankees hired Boone but Girardi was not a good manager. He always seemed to get the least out of his excellent talent in the post season and he just was not a likable type of guy too intense.  I never liked the way Girardi led the Orioles on as if he were going to take the Orioles manager job then declined when the Yankees promised him their job in secret.  Good riddance Girardi is not a good manager and he seems arrogant to me.  Yankees put him on a pedestal because he used to play for them when they were winning the WS  but they eventually got tired of him managing them into  post season failures and showed him the door. One WS when he first started managing the team then nothing despite the huge payroll and talent advantages the Yankees enjoyed during the time he managed. 

6 hours ago, weams said:

Well, the Yankees used their closer. In a tie game. Away. And lost. So Buck lost one way with his closer, Boone another. Same circumstances. 

Exactly my point.  Nothing is in stone in baseball.  Use your Closer in a tie game, don't use your closer in a tie game, sometimes it works , sometimes it don't.

For Boone, analytically it was supposed to work, for Buck we will never know.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, thezeroes said:

Exactly my point.  Nothing is in stone in baseball.  Use your Closer in a tie game, don't use your closer in a tie game, sometimes it works , sometimes it don't.

For Boone, analytically it was supposed to work, for Buck we will never know.

I’m just glad it’s the Stros and not the Yankees.

4 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

I'm not sure why the Yankees hired Boone but Girardi was not a good manager. He always seemed to get the least out of his excellent talent in the post season and he just was not a likable type of guy too intense.  I never liked the way Girardi led the Orioles on as if he were going to take the Orioles manager job then declined when the Yankees promised him their job in secret.  Good riddance Girardi is not a good manager and he seems arrogant to me.  Yankees put him on a pedestal because he used to play for them when they were winning the WS  but they eventually got tired of him managing them into  post season failures and showed him the door. One WS when he first started managing the team then nothing despite the huge payroll and talent advantages the Yankees enjoyed during the time he managed. 

I beg to disagree. Girardi took several teams that had barely middling talent deep into division races and even the postseason.                                    

8 hours ago, LA2 said:

I beg to disagree. Girardi took several teams that had barely middling talent deep into division races and even the postseason.                                    

Are you saying that there have been Yankee teams in the last 25 years with middling talent, despite mostly the highest payroll in baseball?  

I feel like there were several seasons in the last decade where Girardi got more wins out of that team than he should have.  I can't remember which years, but there were a few.  I felt like he managed every game as if it was Game 7 of the WS, using Betances in every single medium to high leverage situation.  Even in spite of their payroll, there were a few years where the on-paper talent wasn't quite up to their normal standards....yet they still won a lot of games. 

I think no matter who is managing, the Yankees will always have their fair share of players who outperform their norms simply by putting on that uniform.  This year was a little more pronounced, but we have seen other sports teams over the years have very high payrolls and still land under .500 because things just don't work out.  I think the 2012 Red Sox lost 90+ games and then won the WS the next year.  The Yankees never finish under .500, no matter what.  That is pretty impressive.

I find Girardi annoying, but I think he was a good manager.    I think Boone has done a good job as well.    Those poor Yankee fans will have to live with 7 playoff appearances, 3 division titles and 4 ALCS appearances over the last decade.     And 27 straight winning seasons.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I find Girardi annoying, but I think he was a good manager.    I think Boone has done a good job as well.    Those poor Yankee fans will have to live with 7 playoff appearances, 3 division titles and 4 ALCS appearances over the last decade.     And 27 straight winning seasons.   

They will settle for no less than Rendon, Cole and Strasburg out of Cashman. Or maybe a trade for Lindor.