Meoli: Orioles’ D-III draftee Toby Welk, Juco hitting coach Tom Eller showing ‘opportunities are in unusual places’

Tony-OH

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s an article describing some of the development work on the pitching side:   https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/08/a-look-at-the-future-of-pitching-development-for-the-os.html

Not sure how this relates to Welk but interesting article nonetheless.  I guess ideas of the new coach and how they relate to development in general as with hitting coach Eller.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:25 AM, Tony-OH said:

I think this excellent article should be read by all as it's more than just about the interesting strides that Toby Welk has made, but the technologies and teachings that are now available to Orioles minor leaguers.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-aberdeen-toby-welk-tom-eller-hitting-20190821-cndmryznjrdc7h5knufjnbxppm-story.html

Meoli is the best.  Love reading his stuff.

Really encouraging to keep reading stuff like this.   It's so clear that whatever we were doing with our prospects before, we were basically using voodoo and palm reading compared to the ability to utilize technology now to actively develop them.

We are actively taking talented guys and making them better, which I don't think we can say was happening nearly enough in the pre-Elias days........no offense meant to the old guard.   We definitely had some occasional success back then........but this seems like night and day.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Not sure how this relates to Welk but interesting article nonetheless.  I guess ideas of the new coach and how they relate to development in general as with hitting coach Eller.

It doesn’t relate to Welk, needless to say.    Tony said he posted the Welk article in the the Orioles forum because it spoke to how our development system was changing overall.    This article was in that same vein (on the pitching side) so I decided to post it here.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Really encouraging to keep reading stuff like this.   It's so clear that whatever we were doing with our prospects before, we were basically using voodoo and palm reading compared to the ability to utilize technology now to actively develop them.

We are actively taking talented guys and making them better, which I don't think we can say was happening nearly enough in the pre-Elias days........no offense meant to the old guard.   We definitely had some occasional success back then........but this seems like night and day.

Agreed. I don't remember a lot of the "late round" draft picks being as interesting, or even having this much success right out the gate.