Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Also hits as HoF criteria is dumb.

If they'd decided that 2200 hits was the sole criteria for a position player making the Hall they'd probably have no more misses than they actually do.  In real life one of the primary criteria for 30-40 Hall of Famers is "exaggerated stories by his buddies." Hits may work as well as that.

You'd get some weird looks when people remember that Omar Vizquel and Bill Buckner have almost twice as many hits as Hack Wilson and Jackie Robinson. Al Oliver out-hit Hank Greenberg by over 1000. Doc Cramer had 2700 hits and a career rWAR of eight; that might actually be worse than putting in Tommy McCarthy.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, SteveA said:

Factors affecting attendance, at a particular game, in order of precedence, IMO)

1)  Overall season tickets sold (this provides the base attendance for all games in a season)

2)  Premium opponent or not (NYY, Bos, Wash etc)

3)  Team having a 1989 style historic level turnaround to generate unprecedented in-season ticket purchases

4) Weekend vs weeknight

5) Giveaway -- is there one, how "good" is it

6) Summer months vs April/May/Sept

7) How good a season is the team playing and how hot/cold are they recently (but not a historic 1989 style turnaround) -- a good but not historic turnaround season will add a couple thousand per game but you are still pretty much defined by how many season tickets you sold.   A good season will help NEXT year's season ticket total a lot though.

8 ) Opponent quality/draw (excluding premium opponents)

9) Tonight's starting pitcher

It's way down on the line.   I doubt it adds more than a few hundred to have Means going rather than Wojo.   I'll bet over half the fans show up at the park not knowing before they set foot in the stadium who is starting tonight.

Unless Mark Fidrych is starting! :D

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If they'd decided that 2200 hits was the sole criteria for a position player making the Hall they'd probably have no more misses than they actually do.  In real life one of the primary criteria for 30-40 Hall of Famers is "exaggerated stories by his buddies." Hits may work as well as that.

You'd get some weird looks when people remember that Omar Vizquel and Bill Buckner have almost twice as many hits as Hack Wilson and Jackie Robinson. Al Oliver out-hit Hank Greenberg by over 1000. Doc Cramer had 2700 hits and a career rWAR of eight; that might actually be worse than putting in Tommy McCarthy.

I always like when you throw in one of your baseball reference derived posts! :D

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I loved Al Oliver. When he came to the Rangers, he was so excited about having a fresh start he chose 0 for his uniform number.

21 hours ago, foxfield said:

Cant really worry about injuries...it really takes away from enjoying the game.  Always felt the same when I played.  Same for us as fans, my nightmare scenario was that some well meaning fat cat would buy the best franchise in baseball and run it into the ground.  Fortunately I have my Redskins nightmares to distract me.  

But my point is, every year is gonna be the year, next year is the year it's gonna turn around.  We will see signs, or sprouts if you will.  Hays, plays all out and that is risky.  It's exactly the kind of thing we have been hoping for all year.  Enjoy it, otherwise you will might cringe and miss the good plays.  Hopefully the cringeworthy plays of balls banging off of skulls will be in our past soon.  Head up ole boy!!!!

If he turns out to be the next Fred Lynn, we'll just have to deal with it.  B|

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Fred Lynn. One of those maybe HOF guys. I’d be happy to see him in.

Lynn hasn't gottern as much support as Jim Rice, but I think he was the best all-around player of that Red Sox OF that also included GG RFer Dewey Evans.  Lynn ran into a few too many walls.  Otherwise... wow he was great.   

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Lynn hasn't gottern as much support as Jim Rice, but I think he was the best all-around player of that Red Sox OF that also included GG RFer Dewey Evans.  Lynn ran into a few too many walls.  Otherwise... wow he was great.   

I've read the Boswell piece on him that was in The Heart of the Order.  If what was written was accurate I can see why it would hurt his case.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've read the Boswell piece on him that was in The Heart of the Order.  If what was written was accurate I can see why it would hurt his case.

I think it said something about him refusing to play when he wasn't 100%.  It's a bit of a conundrum with Lynn, because that goes against his toughness, but he was the most fearless player in the game - both in running into walls and running the bases - he did things that most players today wouldn't consider doing.  I think by the time he got to the O's, he was damaged goods physically, and he simply couldn't play effectively every day.  There were stories that he couldn't even sit in airplanes - had to lie down in the aisles.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Read the book 20+ years ago, don’t remember what he said about Lynn.  Can you summarize?

At 50 WAR, Lynn for me fits the category of a guy who might have made the HOF if he’d managed to be healthy more of the time.     

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Read the book 20+ years ago, don’t remember what he said about Lynn.  Can you summarize?

At 50 WAR, Lynn for me fits the category of a guy who might have made the HOF if he’d managed to be healthy more of the time.     

Ruzious had the gist of it.  That Lynn wasn't willing to play, when he was with the O's ad least, unless he was at 100%. .I can see a guy not willing to fight through the little nagging stuff when his team needed him would rub others the wrong way.

Question about Hays.  Is he still considered a rookie going into next season?  If so, with his great performance on the MLB squad this September, any chance he would be considered at top 100 prospect again?  If so, we could go into next year with potentially 6 Top 100 prospects with Adley, Mountcastle, Hall, Grayson, Diaz, and Hays.