Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

Meanwhile, center fielder Austin Hays has earned Major League Baseball’s Play of the Week honors for his leaping catch Thursday night that robbed Toronto’s Vladimir Guerrero Jr. of a home run.

Hays’ diving catch in shallow center field the following night also was up for contention.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/mancini-chosen-as-al-player-of-the-week.html

44 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I still don't understand why he is going to AFL instead of Diaz.

I think it’s solely for Hays to catch up on at bats because the Orioles see Hays as a viable CF on opening day, if all goes well. I think they plan to start Diaz at AAA no matter what. 

P.s.  It’s my impression that some teams don’t value the Arizona fall league as much as they did a few years ago.  I haven’t followed the rosters of teams super closely, but I think fewer teams are sort of automatically sending their highest ranked prospects there. I’m sure some posters have a much better feel for that than I do, but my impression is that fewer big name prospects are there than in years past. 

45 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's assuming he doesn't spend a fourth season in AA.  Maybe he hasn't mastered it yet.

I hadn't realized until your post that Diaz had gotten a taste of AA in the latter part of 2017.   I also hadn't realized that he missed about 40 games in 2018, in addition to the 50 or so he missed this year.   All in all, he has played 204 games of AA ball.    About a season and a half's worth.   I think he would have been promoted to AAA sometime this year if he hadn't missed so much time in the first half.   No doubt he starts in AAA next year.   Whether he makes it to the majors at some point next season probably rests largely on how all the players in front of him do.    I don't think Elias will be in any rush.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I hadn't realized until your post that Diaz had gotten a taste of AA in the latter part of 2017.   I also hadn't realized that he missed about 40 games in 2018, in addition to the 50 or so he missed this year.   All in all, he has played 204 games of AA ball.    About a season and a half's worth.   I think he would have been promoted to AAA sometime this year if he hadn't missed so much time in the first half.   No doubt he starts in AAA next year.   Whether he makes it to the majors at some point next season probably rests largely on how all the players in front of him do.    I don't think Elias will be in any rush.

How often does a top 100 guy spend a "season and a half" in AA?  I'm guessing not often.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How often does a top 100 guy spend a "season and a half" in AA?  I'm guessing not often.

I’m simply not going to worry about it.   There were  organization reasons for Elias to play it slow this year.     I’m sure Diaz was less than thrilled, but that’s life.   

Diaz has been hurt a good portion of this year.  Even in what was supposed to be his last game at Aberdeen, he was HBP and he looked a bit uncomfortable/hurt by it.  The guy has been very injury prone and I would say that it caused him to not go 100% at Aberdeen.  During one play, Diaz could have slid and possibly broken up a double-play and perhaps even been safe at second if the defender shied away from contact on a low throw.  Instead, Diaz pulled up and veered away from 2B avoiding all potential for contact.  

The injuries have allowed our front office to slow roll promotions for Diaz and it looks likely that he will start next year in the minors perhaps with Mr. Mountcastle at AAA.  Our front office's decisions to slow roll these promotions are an early indicator to me that we are tanking next year as well - it will be another throwaway year IMO.  And perhaps in a throwaway year we carry Davis on the roster for a bit longer.  Sure, by early June we should have glimpses of Mr. Mountcastle, perhaps Diaz and a bunch of this season's AA pitchers.  I find this disappointing in that our guys may not get enough seasoning to be counted on for 2021.  

Anyway, Hays' development at the major league level is certainly a reason to look forward to next season.  He is looking pretty good in CF so far where his offense will definitely play.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m simply not going to worry about it.   There were  organization reasons for Elias to play it slow this year.     I’m sure Diaz was less than thrilled, but that’s life.   

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Like Bowie making the playoffs!

I'd rather my position players be challenged.

Pretty sure the playoffs had nothing to do with it, based on the second half promotions for Zimmermann, Kremer and Bannon.

20 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

The injuries have allowed our front office to slow roll promotions for Diaz and it looks likely that he will start next year in the minors perhaps with Mr. Mountcastle at AAA.  Our front office's decisions to slow roll these promotions are an early indicator to me that we are tanking next year as well - it will be another throwaway year IMO.  And perhaps in a throwaway year we carry Davis on the roster for a bit longer.  Sure, by early June we should have glimpses of Mr. Mountcastle, perhaps Diaz and a bunch of this season's AA pitchers.  I find this disappointing in that our guys may not get enough seasoning to be counted on for 2021.  

Elias made it very clear yesterday that he’s not worried about wins and losses in 2020.     So yeah, nobody’s going to get pushed to the majors.    Mountcastle obviously is in a different position from players who haven’t played AAA yet or who perhaps got only a taste.    He’ll be up relatively early in 2020, but not on opening day for service time reasons that they’ll never admit.    The other guys are candidates for late season call-ups at best.