vs. DODGERS, 9/10

OFFNY

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

We will never be anywhere close to as good a team as they are.  This is really a useless activity tonight.   4 runs down facing Buehler...

You really realize the chasm between moneyed and talented organizations and the rest of the league much more now than ever.  The losing will eventually lead to only die hards like us to be following teams except the money teams. 

I don't necessarily agree with this.  It may be true that the Orioles will never be able to compete with the Dodgers, but it is not because the Dodgers are out-spending the small-market Orioles.

https://dodgersway.com/2019/06/26/dodgers-roster-built-small-market/

This article talks about how 16 of the Dodgers 25-man roster (before the rosters expanded) were home-grown players.  These are guys that the Dodgers brought up through their ranks and developed.  They don't have a lot of high-money free agents, either.  Maeda and Ryu were not big-time FAs.  They caught lightning in a bottle with both those guys.  The Orioles had Justin Turner in their organization at one time.  The Mets gave up on Muncy. 

If the Dodgers continue to be so much better than the Orioles, it is because they identify and recruit young talent so much better, not because they can spend more.

Just now, Yossarian said:

I don't necessarily agree with this.  It may be true that the Orioles will never be able to compete with the Dodgers, but it is not because the Dodgers are out-spending the small-market Orioles.

This article talks about how 16 of the Dodgers 25-man roster (before the rosters expanded) were home-grown players.  These are guys that the Dodgers brought up through their ranks and developed.  They don't have a lot of high-money free agents, either.  Maeda and Ryu were not big-time FAs.  They caught lightning in a bottle with both those guys.  The Orioles had Justin Turner in their organization at one time.  The Mets gave up on Muncy. 

If the Dodgers continue to be so much better than the Orioles, it is because they identify and recruit young talent so much better, not because they can spend more.

Exactly, your comment was a little bit more eloquent than mine, but the points are the same

16 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

They spend much more on every part of their system...how much more do you think they spend on scouting and academies and international recruiting than we do?  Exponentially more.  They also hire and retain the best baseball staff, hundreds of them by paying them much more than organizations like us....identification, recruitment and development are all better because they throw huge resources at hiring the best....free agent buys are not where Dodgers and Yankees ,etc put their dollars although they do that too..they build and hire the best organizational resources up and down the system 

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

I wonder what defines an innings eater?

“You’re going to go out there and throw six innings and I don’t care how many runs you give up”?

I’m not sure that’s the kind of guy I would want. If this guy throws six innings at his current rate that would be 18 runs

You would have to be pitch efficient enough to get through six with current usage guidelines.  No one is going to hang a 6IP/150 pitches on a guy in this day and age.

Archived