Infield (and DH) 2020... Who ya got?

Greg Pappas

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

JMO but I think the O's bones will be in 2021 and after.   

I don't see why we can't improve the team on the field next year as long as we don't block any one for the future. We don't have anyone at SS/3B in the near term.

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Why does one preclude the other?

I'd rather go all in as do it halfway. I don't see any reason to try to become an 81 win team. 

And you could say "it's one guy, likely $6-7 million. They have the money" which is true but it's still not an all in approach. 

I hope Elias gets an offer he wants for Givens, Mancini and Villar and all are gone, even though I know what that will do to the MLB record next year. And if that's what Elias is trying to do, how does it make sense to bring in an incremental improvement at short when that guy is gone in a year or 2?

What seems more possible is finding some guy languishing in the minor leagues who takes advantage of an opportunity like some guys did this year. 

3 minutes ago, John Welch said:

I'd rather go all in as do it halfway. I don't see any reason to try to become an 81 win team. 

And you could say "it's one guy, likely $6-7 million. They have the money" which is true but it's still not an all in approach. 

I hope Elias gets an offer he wants for Givens, Mancini and Villar and all are gone, even though I know what that will do to the MLB record next year. And if that's what Elias is trying to do, how does it make sense to bring in an incremental improvement at short when that guy is gone in a year or 2?

What seems more possible is finding some guy languishing in the minor leagues who takes advantage of an opportunity like some guys did this year. 

He made 2.5 M last season. He was 85 OPS+. Doubt he makes that much. I doubt he is offered much for Givens, and won't trade Mancini. He probably trades Villar, which is why I'd like Iglesias. We'll see.

28 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I'm sure Davis and Boras were happy with the contract.

I was thinking of the club, not the players.  Giving the fact that Boras holds out his clients to the last moment and plays clubs against themselves, I would pass on Jose unless he was offered a MiLB contract with a Spring Training invite.

2 hours ago, thezeroes said:

Jose Iglesias agent is Scott Boras.  Scott Boras and the Orioles never have good contract negotiations (Chris Davis, Jake Arrietta, Matt Wieters etc...) and decent outcomes.

Iglesias is very small potatoes.  Boras is a non-factor here.  

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think there's a decent shot that Martin is the opening day SS.

In an extremely small sample size, he hit well in September and I feel like he made small incremental advancements during the season.  It'll be interesting to see what he works on this offseason and how he handles ST next year.  I think it's most likely that he's a backup infielder or starts at AAA though.

He definitely had more than a few stretches where he was a solid .275 hitter with some speed and some power.  The most important thing for that is they have tape on what is successful for him, and in the age of analytics that's invaluable. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Iglesias is very small potatoes.  Boras is a non-factor here.  

I guess I should have researched Jose Iglesias agent a bit more. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/05/jose-iglesias-reds-agency-change-mvp-sports-group.html

It seams he has switched from Boras to Magnus and now is with MVP Sports Group.

He also is rumored to want to stay with the Reds.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/08/jose-iglesias-interested-in-re-signing-with-reds.html

12 hours ago, weams said:

Yes. The Orioles will not spend money. They won;t sign any of his clients. He is a non factor.  There will be a payroll reduction. 

You're probably right, but he's not blocking anyone and they aren't hurting for money.

Their payroll has gone from about:

2017 - $163.5M

2018 - $143M

2019 - $72M

According to my mental math, the 2020 payroll will be about $64M if Villar, Givens, and Mancini are all on the team (Davis at 17M). In the low 50s if they're all traded. About the lowest in the league.

I assume Villar is traded before OD so Richie Martin, Rylan Bannon, Mason McCoy are left. None of them are beating down the door as serious prospects at SS. Is it really so unreasonable for them to offer a guy like Iglesias $4M just to have the team win a few more games next year? I get that the difference between 60 and 65 wins is irrelevant to the franchise's long term plans, but it's relevant to the fans who watch the games.

• Upvote 1

On 10/4/2019 at 5:01 PM, Greg Pappas said:

These are my best guesses for 2020, based on my roster expectations... and no, I'm not enamored with this. ;)

1B:  Mancini
2B:  Alberto
SS:  Martin
3B:  Ruiz
CA:  Severino
Reserve:  Nunez (DH) as a backup 1B and rare spot starter at 3B.
Reserve:  Utility position seems up for grabs.
Backup CA: Hard to say with any degree of certainty, but for now I'll go with Sisco.  It would not surprise me in the least to read that he's being tried at other positions (3B?) this off-season and into spring.

I hope we are able to get a real good trade return for Mancini, but I feel he'll be here.
I do, however, suspect Villar will be dealt.

Chris Davis is absent, but that based more on hope than expectation.
Mountcastle could --and likely will-- factor in at 1B as well.

As with many of you, I'd be thrilled to see us acquire young SS and 3B talent.

I think you’re pretty much spot on in the OP. Villar should 100% be traded. We should be shopping Mancini too. Mountcastle will 100% be down long enough to get the 7th year or control and possibly after June 1 for arbitration reasons. I don’t know how much it would help Martin to get ABs in AAA, but maybe he’s down till June 1 as well. 

Will Mountcastle be a 1B/DH or LF. A lot depends on Smith/Stewart, or if we bring up Diaz after June 1 as well. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think you’re pretty much spot on in the OP. Villar should 100% be traded. We should be shopping Mancini too. Mountcastle will 100% be down long enough to get the 7th year or control and possibly after June 1 for arbitration reasons. I don’t know how much it would help Martin to get ABs in AAA, but maybe he’s down till June 1 as well. 

Will Mountcastle be a 1B/DH or LF. A lot depends on Smith/Stewart, or if we bring up Diaz after June 1 as well. 

I don't disagree with you that we should be looking to deal Villar, and Mancini. But it takes a buyer willing to pay fair value.