Infield (and DH) 2020... Who ya got?

Greg Pappas

These are my best guesses for 2020, based on my roster expectations... and no, I'm not enamored with this. ;)

1B:  Mancini
2B:  Alberto
SS:  Martin
3B:  Ruiz
CA:  Severino
DH:  Nunez
Reserve:  When not starting, Nunez, could backup 1B and be a rare spot starter at 3B. Otherwise, Mountcastle will probably play both LF and 1B when brought up--  and could even be a  'Break glass in case of emergency' 3B when needed. 
Reserve:  Utility position seems up for grabs.
Backup CA: Hard to say with any degree of certainty, but for now I'll go with Sisco.  It would not surprise me in the least to read that he's being tried at other positions (3B?) this off-season and into spring.

I hope we are able to get a real good trade return for Mancini, but I feel he'll be here.
I do, however, suspect Villar will be dealt.

Chris Davis is absent, but that based more on hope than expectation.

As with many of you, I'd be thrilled to see us acquire young SS and 3B talent.

Edited by Greg Pappas
I've just realized (a bit late) I should have been clear that the DH was inclusive.
  • Upvote 1

I don't see Martin making it to Opening Day on the 26 man roster, unless something big happens. I think he starts off in Norfolk atleast.

I think Villar ends up at short and an Alberto/Wilkerson platoon at 2nd.

Catching....Not sure. Severino, unless he gets traded. Sisco, unless they move him or move on from him. Wynns, unless they get rid of him. If they protect Cumberland, do they give him a shot?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I don't see Martin making it to Opening Day on the 26 man roster, unless something big happens. I think he starts off in Norfolk atleast.

Catching....Not sure. Severino, unless he gets traded. Sisco, unless they move him or move on from him. Wynns, unless they get rid of him. If they protect Cumberland, do they give him a shot?

I'm don't see the point of sending Martin to Norfolk. It's not like he is a prospect that will benefit from the development time in AAA - he is a placeholder on the major league team until someone better comes along,

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Yeah... if Villar remains, then hell likely be our starting SS. But I believe Villar will be dealt.

14 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I'm don't see the point of sending Martin to Norfolk. It's not like he is a prospect that will benefit from the development time in AAA - he is a placeholder on the major league team until someone better comes along,

I think he'd be the favorite to be our starting SS if Villar is dealt, but outside of his AB's in September he was atrocious at the plate.  He could use time (perhaps a LOT!) at AAA, but as you said, he's just as likely to hold the ML spot until a better option comes along. Spring could be important in determining what they'll do with him. 

I think there's a decent shot that Martin is the opening day SS.

In an extremely small sample size, he hit well in September and I feel like he made small incremental advancements during the season.  It'll be interesting to see what he works on this offseason and how he handles ST next year.  I think it's most likely that he's a backup infielder or starts at AAA though.

• Upvote 1

Just now, wildcard said:

So you are saying what?

Assuming Elias can find a better option this offseason, he's the backup infielder or sent to AAA.

But we won't be expected to compete in 2020, just like this year.  When you look at it from that perspective, they could easily trot him out to SS in Baltimore for another full season.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

It's not like he's going to cost a lot or they don't have any money. Why not throw the fans a bone?

I think the focus is more on development rather than bringing in a stop gap. I understand the idea that fans would feel better winning a few more games but IMO, if the choice is to bring in a guy who won't be here in 2 years OR bring in 2-3 guys in A+ or AA who might be a part of the future, I think Elias is going to go the second route 100% of the time for now.

Just now, John Welch said:

I think the focus is more on development rather than bringing in a stop gap. I understand the idea that fans would feel better winning a few more games but IMO, if the choice is to bring in a guy who won't be here in 2 years OR bring in 2-3 guys in A+ or AA who might be a part of the future, I think Elias is going to go the second route 100% of the time for now.

Why does one preclude the other?