No Fanfest in 2020?

mdbdotcom

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Not spending money on the major league team makes sense. Save it for when it matters. 

That said not having a FanFest if it was a money decision is being cheap and is an insult to the fan base. 

Yeah. Well, DC will spend big on the fans. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm sorry, but I'm seriously questioning Schmuck's comment about FanFest being expensive. In the grand scheme of things for a MLB baseball team I really don't think it is. I'm sure they use existing employees who are already on payroll to plan the event, the giveaways are old excess merchandise, and they don't have to pay any of the players / team representatives anything extra to attend. And the concession sales probably come close to covering the salaries of most of the lower level workers. All that leaves is the rental fee for the Convention Center. I think it has more to do with their potential embarrassment of having a record low number of fans attend, and if that's the case it's a disappointing cop out.  There's plenty of things they could have done to drum up interest in the event. Invite former Oriole HOFers, upcoming prospects, local celebrities, etc. Maybe even consider a cross promotion with the Ravens. Even if it's just having the mascots or even the marching band at the event. This really just feels like unnecessary frugality and laziness.   

Could be. A dollar saved is a dollar thirty earned though. 

10 minutes ago, atomic said:

So you are suggesting we become Nationals fans?  Seems becoming Red Sox or Yankee fans would make more sense as they play at Camden Yards a lot. 

I'm saying there are options for those who choose to not be fans of a small market rebuilding team. I'm fine just where I am as are most that I respect. 

15 minutes ago, weams said:

I'm saying there are options for those who choose to not be fans of a small market rebuilding team. I'm fine just where I am as are most that I respect. 

If the Orioles move when their lease is up in two years will you still be singing this tune?  I think cancelling FanFest means either they plan to sell the team or move the team. Nothing to do with being a small market rebuilding team. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

If the Orioles move when their lease is up in two years will you still be singing this tune?  I think cancelling FanFest means either they plan to sell the team or move the team. Nothing to do with being a small market rebuilding team. 

I might move with them. If it is a warm weather site.  Take care and happy holidays to you. Please be kind to others. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

I might move with them. If it is a warm weather site.  Take care and happy holidays to you. Please be kind to others. 

My Dad retired there and the pluses are there and the pluses are no state income tax and plenty of live music. Negative is it awfully hot and humid and good restaurants to eat at are far and few between.  Also you will appear quite thin compared to the locals if you wear XL or less.. 

5 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm sorry, but I'm seriously questioning Schmuck's comment about FanFest being expensive. In the grand scheme of things for a MLB baseball team I really don't think it is. I'm sure they use existing employees who are already on payroll to plan the event, the giveaways are old excess merchandise, and they don't have to pay any of the players / team representatives anything extra to attend. And the concession sales probably come close to covering the salaries of most of the lower level workers. All that leaves is the rental fee for the Convention Center. I think it has more to do with their potential embarrassment of having a record low number of fans attend, and if that's the case it's a disappointing cop out.  There's plenty of things they could have done to drum up interest in the event. Invite former Oriole HOFers, upcoming prospects, local celebrities, etc. Maybe even consider a cross promotion with the Ravens. Even if it's just having the mascots or even the marching band at the event. This really just feels like unnecessary frugality and laziness.   

Can we stop with the Orioles are going to play in Potter's Field next year.This will be in the top three of most profitable years for the Angelos family  ever. Hopefully the $90 million saved in payroll from last year can get his wife some really good country music singing lessons.Who thinks the Orioles will be able to find a team to play an exhibition gane at the Naval Acedemy this year? Who thinks they even try? Hands in the air please like they just don't care.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Can we stop with the Orioles are going to play in Potter's Field next year.This will be in the top three of most profitable years for the Angelos family  ever. Hopefully the $90 million saved in payroll from last year can get his wife some really good country music singing lessons.Who thinks the Orioles will be able to find a team to play an exhibition gane at the Naval Acedemy this year? Who thinks they even try? Hands in the air please like they just don't care.

Good luck with your mission, Mr. Phelps.

However, if at any time, you or your IMF members are caught, you will be disavowed. :) :) :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

It should not be that hard to find an east coast team that is headed home to play that game. Mets, Phillies, Pirates, etc. 

9 hours ago, Going Underground said:

I was able to attend that game last time- long story but it certainly does not involve things like going on Tinder and asking for tickets- and it was an awesome event that the Nationals put on.  And it was not intended to ruffle the feathers of the Orioles if you will.  It was more because of the partnership that the Nationals and the Navy had due to their proximity in Southeast DC.  The Nationals actually put money into renovations for the field at the Naval Academy, and they brought all of the presidents and all of their excess giveaways for the midshipmen in attendance, as well as select servicemen.  

If the Orioles dont play any game there, they should be ashamed of themselves.  Even playing their minor league all stars (since they are all local affiliates) would be better than nothing, and was something I mentioned earlier as an event that could replace FanFest.  

Cancelling Fanfest is a big mistake. It is for hardcore fans and kids. With the demographic getting older, young fans are critical. The fact it doesn't make a lot of money is irrelevant. It gets young people interested. That pays dividends for years.

I think Elias can handle the Baseball side of things. Whoever is running the Business side of the Franchise needs to learn a thing or two.

I’m just holding my fire until I see what else they do this winter by way of fan relations.    I think this has more to do with a new business/marketing team coming in than it does with any of the reasons about which people are speculating.    These guys want to make their mark and do their own thing.    Well, then show us what you’ve got.    

• Upvote 1