Jealous

Frobby

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

He did win the WS before, so while we can fault some of his moves, he did win the WS before, and he did get his team all the way to the WS again.

Oh yeah for sure. I just did not like the move. Scherzer looked shaky. I would have gotten that decision much more if it was later in the game. Even great managers who win WS make mistakes. I don't think Hitch is a bad manager but I did question those two moves last night and thought the first one could have implications later.

2 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

Oh sorry about that assumption. My bad. Anyhow. It just gets to what I'm thinking about you never know how long those moments will last in sports. Even the Yankees had a brief spell when they were absolutely awful. Right now they're having their biggest WS appearance drought since before they had Ruth. Not that I feel bad for them or their fans since they haven't had a losing season since 1992.

I feel that also with the Redskins, we had the glory years from Allen to Gibbs, and it was great to be on top of the world, and then stinksville for decades, its not fun.

• Like 1

Just now, Palmoripken said:

Oh yeah for sure. I just did not like the move. Scherzer looked shaky. I would have gotten that decision much more if it was later in the game. Even great managers who win WS make mistakes. I don't think Hitch is a bad manager but I did question those two moves last night and thought the first one could have implications later.

I think both sides can point to extremely lousy umpiring. These guys are supposed to be the best of the best?

They suck.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, first of all, I enjoyed and savored it quite a bit.   After losing game 7 in 1979, missing the playoffs while winning 100 games in 1980, and losing to Brewers on the final day of the 1982 regular season, it was extremely sweet to bring home the trophy in 1983.   I certainly wasn’t thinking “that was great, but I would rather have won it in 7!”    I was beside myself with joy and that glow lasted a good long time.

But second, you’re right that we surely had no idea of what was to follow.    At that point, it felt like a birthright that the O’s would be in contention every year, after 16 straight winning seasons and 8 playoff appearances in 18 years.   With a 22 year old Ripken and a 27 year old Murray.     It’s amazing how far we’ve fallen.   

82 was my favorite Orioles season.  I don't get this championship or bust mentality.  If the season is entertaining that is all I asked.  The Capitals were more frustrating having the best record in the NHL year after year and never making it to even the semi-finals.  That victory was great as it feels the playoff curse is gone.  

We would draft Mussina and Ben Mcdonald later in the decade and that still didn't help us all that much.  

1 minute ago, Palmoripken said:

It was pure genius that the Nats scout picked up Strasburg tipping his pitchers, and after a bad 1st inning, settled down, and the Nats won that game, that could have easy gone as a loss.

10 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

I called it when they bunted in the 2nd. I thought that was an awful move. Playing small ball in the 2nd inning? And he was way too quick to lift Greinke for a guy who had been pitching a lot. 

Yeah Houston was just getting to Matt Scherzer, a HR then two runners on base with nobody out , potential big inning, and then bunting with a hitter who was hitting well in the WS? The bunt didn't even work he popped it up and that gift out enabled Scherzer to regroup. That may have been a big inning that would end the game.  The bunt in that situation makes no sense statistically much better off swinging away.  

22 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

You older fans had 3 WS wins and 5 pennants in 17 years at that point. You just don't know when the good times will end and the bad times will begin. I think that's why 2012 was so special for me. I was 10 in 1997. 15 years of not only missing the playoffs but sub 500 baseball sucked but I still made it out to OPACY every year for the most part and followed the team. I mean I know that a bunch of O's fans will come out of the woodworks if we start competing and make the WS again but it is a little peeving for me to see people who never cared much for baseball suddenly talking about how much they love the Nats.  I admit though I'm a little bitter since I've taken grief for still being an O's fan in Nats territory.

2012 was awesome.  I would rate that season more enjoyable for me than 83 as well.  1979 was awful as we had that 3 game to 1 lead and then you had to here them play "We are Family" all the time.  Everytime I hear that song I get sick to the stomach and thoughts of  Kent Tekulve brings tears to my eyes.

My favorite O's season was probably 1997. I think it's because I was a kid and you had so three future Hall of Famers in Cal, Moose, and Alomar and you have two more who have HoF resumes in Davey and Palmeiro. I forget if Baines was on that team or not since Baines went back and forth with us and the White Sox alot in the latter half of the 90's but I digress. It was wire to wire. It was Mussina nearly getting a perfecto. It was the first fall that I really pitched myself in LL and I felt comfortable. The ending stank but what really hurt look back at it was knowing it would be the beginning of a drought but you don't know that at the time. That's why I really do appreciate the Buck years even if the final years weren't so good and unfortunately have us in teh rebuild mode we find ourselves in now.

2 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

Yeah Houston was just getting to Matt Scherzer, a HR then two runners on base with nobody out , potential big inning, and then bunting with a hitter who was hitting well in the WS? The bunt didn't even work he popped it up and that gift out enabled Scherzer to regroup. That may have been a big inning that would end the game.  The bunt in that situation makes no sense statistically much better off swinging away.  

I was honestly shocked that Buck and Smoltz never mentioned that. Yeah the Soto catch was a key moment in this game of inches but Scherzer his first go around in the line up wasn't locating his pitches well and the Astros were hitting him hard. Hinch got too cute there IMO and I felt it could later turn against them and it did. 

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They did win the 2012 Wild Card game.    Maybe my happiest day as a fan since 1983.    But that wasn’t a “series,” which is why I didn’t mention it in the OP.

Yes you're right they did win that Wild Card game I forgot about that. I can see why you didn't list it as it wasn't a series but to me a winner take all, loser goes home, game is the same if it's a series or a single game. 

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

Time to start improving the team or get a new owner/gm combo.

The Astro's pitchers were likewise acquired through trades or free agency.  

Yea, the Astros would have been far better off if they'd started trading prospects for established players and signing big ticket free agents in 2012.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

2012 was awesome.  I would rate that season more enjoyable for me than 83 as well.  1979 was awful as we had that 3 game to 1 lead and then you had to here them play "We are Family" all the time.  Everytime I hear that song I get sick to the stomach and thoughts of  Kent Tekulve brings tears to my eyes.

2012 just came out of nowhere. New GM and we won a lot of exciting games. Plus it was fun to watch a lot of guys like Miguel Gonzalez and Nate McLouth surprise. And then you had Manny come up at the end of the season. 25 year old me felt like a kid again when I went to Game 1 of the ALDS. We lost but I loved every minute of it.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I have lived in between the two cites for 60 years of my life.

I have seen fandom for playoff games on both sides. I stood in line for 5 hours for playoff tickets in 96.

I dont think I ever saw the town of Baltimore stirred up for the WS, like DC was.

Even the nightly news at 11, was all about the Nats and all these side stories.

I dont recall a baltimore station ever doing that.

It was 1983.  My bedtime was 9:00, so I don't recall what the Baltimore TV stations were or weren't doing on the 11:00 news.  And '83 wasn't the first time the O's were making a run, they did it all the time.

9 hours ago, orpheus100 said:

They did it the cheap, everyone deserves a trophy way by winning the stupid wild card game to even get into the playoffs.

At least the Orioles were in first place in large divisions winning their titles.

The wild card sucks but that stupid game needs to be trashed ASAP

Still would have gotten in under the old rules. Brewers would have been the ones left out.