Millar wants to return

Frobby

Oscar Salazar and Scott Moore.

At the same time? :D

Whether or not bringing back Millar is not a big deal to me. I won't lose any sleep if Salazar or Moore don't make the team because of him. None of the three are part of the long term solution. Millar's better than those two.

And I like both of them. I wish Salazar had more of a chance when he was up here.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely, NO!!! If we go with the idea that a player is a good guy in the clubhouse but bats .250, what the stink does winning mean? I thought that we are trying to rebuild here. I understand that you can't do it all at one time but first base is a position that needs addressed as much as shortstop. Look at the top teams in each division, what are the stats of the 1B? Millar is no where to be found in the top 20. He has no speed, can't hit for average, is decent defensively but could be better, is not a legitimate HR threat. But he is one heck of a great guy in the clubhouse. If Millar is fine with getting 150 ABs or less then keep him but our organization likes carrying 12-13 pitchers so that leaves no where for Kevin. His time has passed him by, thank you and have a nice end of your career somewhere else.

At the same time? :D

Whether or not bringing back Millar is not a big deal to me. I won't lose any sleep if Salazar or Moore don't make the team because of him. None of the three are part of the long term solution. Millar's better than those two.

And I like both of them. I wish Salazar had more of a chance when he was up here.

At 37 years of age I doubt he beats out a platoon of Moore and Salazar. And Millar can only play 1B or DH off the bench. He would make Huff look like Brooksie at 3B. Moore and Salazar can both play the corners so that's why they have an advantage.

This will all be a moot point when we sign Tex... ;)

He's out of options, so he can't really stay there without waiving him...

If he can't hit Triple-A, he shouldn't be in the majors regardless of his option situation. Like Millar said, you know what you're going to get with him. Would any team claim Moore do you think? I really don't. But back to Millar for a second, he has said in the past (no links) that he doesn't hit well, get into a groove, etc. unless he plays regularly. How well would he fare as a back up then? Probably not that good then ... !

If he can't hit Triple-A, he shouldn't be in the majors regardless of his option situation. Like Millar said, you know what you're going to get with him. Would any team claim Moore do you think? I really don't. But back to Millar for a second, he has said in the past (no links) that he doesn't hit well, get into a groove, etc. unless he plays regularly. How well would he fare as a back up then? Probably not that good then ... !

And there's another point, Millar is going to want playing time so if he's back it will be in a full time role, and as good as a clubhouse presence as he is, he's a below average 1B/DH. Millar served his role as a mentor in the rebuilding process, now it's time for Markakis, Jones and Guthrie and eventually Wieters to step up and take over the leadership of this team.

It would be interesting to see how Millar would handle his playing time being cut drastically. I have a feeling he would not be this fun loving guy that everyone seems to like.

If you could convince me he would be happy getting 150 to 200 at bats next year then maybe. I still think it would be better to have your bench players offer more versatility then Kevin does.

At 37 years of age I doubt he beats out a platoon of Moore and Salazar. And Millar can only play 1B or DH off the bench. He would make Huff look like Brooksie at 3B. Moore and Salazar can both play the corners so that's why they have an advantage.

This will all be a moot point when we sign Tex... ;)

Not really sure why that would be an advantage with Huff being able to play both corner positions. Both first and third base would be two deep on the depth chart. Millar takes up one spot on the roster. A platoon of Moore and Salazar would take up two spots. (And I'm not convinced that Millar, even at 37, is worse than that platoon. Not at all)

If Tex is signed, Millar can be that extra hitter off the bench. That's if they can field 13 position players instead of 13 pitchers. If they can't get by with 12 pitchers that's a different issue for a different thread.

It would be interesting to see how Millar would handle his playing time being cut drastically. I have a feeling he would not be this fun loving guy that everyone seems to like.

Like Gary Sheffield said, how can he be a leader when he's on the bench? Millar would be upset. Oscar Salazar, on the other hand, would probably be very happy being as he was in Mexico a little while ago. I'm just not sold on Scott Moore at all as much as I want to be. He's proven nothing since he got hurt in spring training. Waive him, hope he passes through waivers, and send him back to Triple-A next year where hopefully he'll finally live up to that first round draft pick potential. If not, if someone claims him, ... sign a clone of his as they are probably more or less a dime a dozen.

If you could convince me he would be happy getting 150 to 200 at bats next year then maybe. I still think it would be better to have your bench players offer more versatility then Kevin does.

That needs to be the expectation going into any extension talks. "Hey, we're going after Tex. If he signs, we'll have him at first and Huff at DH. You won't get many at bats if those two stay healthy."

I enjoy Millar and I love what he is doing to the clubhouse. If/when we don't get Tex, I would like to see Millar still playing with the Orioles, but in a bench role. If AM is upfront with him about that, which I think he would be, I don't know if he would want to come back. Although, who really needs a 1B next season, especially one who is over 35?

2009 with Tex, Burnett

Roberts 2nd

Jones CF

Markakis RF

Tex 1st

Huff 3rd

Wieters C

Scott DH

Reimold LF

The abyss that is SS

Quiroz or Hernandez, Fahey, Montanez, Mora

Guthrie, Burnett, Cabrera, Olson, Penn

Sherrill

Ray

Johnson

Albers

Sarfate

Penn

Walker

You do realize that no matter how much you want it to not be true that Mora is going to be the starting 3B next year don't you? I would be surprised if Reimold is on the team when we break from spring training.

In that 1st option, they could just as easily keep Quiroz, and Hernandez... and use Hernandez just as they would Millar... and while I too would prefer Millar to Hernandez in that scenerio... Hernandez is the one already under contract...

As far as Millar over Moore... I'm ambivalent either way......

I agree with all of this, I've just convinced myself that Hernandez is traded in the offseason.

I like Millar over Moore because if Huff gets hurt, I'd rather have Millar getting 4 at bats every night than Moore. I'd also be more confidant with Millar PHing late in the game.

The O's need four starters next year. How Andy decides to get them might affect Millar.

I think the O's will miss on Tex.

If the O's decide to hold on to Montanez as their leftfielder and trade Scott for a pitcher, it could open a spot for Millar.

Alot depends on how Millar finishes the season. He is on the margin right now. He can't afford any drop off over the last five week to be considered for next year's team.

Archived