Millar wants to return

Frobby

People always ask me, "Are you signed through next year?" No, I'm not. Do I want to come back to be an Oriole? Yes, I do. I enjoy it here, and I enjoy helping to change this team around in a positive way. I enjoy the dogfight that comes with playing in the American League East and playing against the Yankees, the Red Sox and now even the Rays. I really believe that basically with the addition of some starting pitching, this team could begin to compete for a playoff spot.

I don't know if I'll be back, but I'd hope to be. I don't know what the organization's plans are, but I've expressed to Andy MacPhail, the team's president of baseball operations, that I love it here and I'd love to come back. I know Trembley knows that I love it here, and the one thing with me is you know what you're going to get. Knock on wood, it's pretty much a healthy body. You're going to get what you've gotten the last three years, and it's not going to cost a whole lot of money. It certainly won't be a contract issue. It's just a matter of what direction they want to go. My gut says I'll be an Oriole. As a free agent, you have a choice to go where you want to an extent. And I want to be here. I hope that weighs into their plans.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20080821&content_id=3344893&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

Read the rest of the article. I really makes you appreciate why Millar is considered such a good clubhouse guy.

If we lose the Tex sweepstakes, does it make sense to bring Millar back? What's the alternative? Moore or Costanzo?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good article. I would like to have Millar back next year regardless of whether or not we sign Tex. As long as Millar is OK with being a bench guy. He can play for Mora once a week (Huff to 3B), Huff and whomever needs a day off. Plus, he's a good insurance policy in case someone gets hurt.

If we don't sign Tex, I would be shocked if Millar is not playing 1B.

I'd have him back too. Just like wariorle said, he can be a great bat off the bench filling in for Mora or Huff. (That's if they can sign MT) They need to get enough talented pitching so they only go with a 12 man staff and can afford to have the extra bat coming off the bench.

No, it makes zero sense in any scenerio for Millar to be back in 2009... he should not even be getting any at bats to close out 2008... the O's should be giving him a check for any clauses he would not reach, by being benched... thank-him for service... and say good-bye.

If you miss out on Tex, you turn to Dunn... you miss out on Dunn, you still have Huff...

Even without Tex, or Dunn.... you still have Huff, Scott, Reimold, and Montanez for 1st, DH, and LF...

Millar turns 37 Sept 24th... Reimold turns 25 October 12th.... only one of them belongs on a team that is supposed to be rebuilding.

You hit the nail on the head my friend.

No, it makes zero sense in any scenerio for Millar to be back in 2009... he should not even be getting any at bats to close out 2008... the O's should be giving him a check for any clauses he would not reach, by being benched... thank-him for service... and say good-bye.

If you miss out on Tex, you turn to Dunn... you miss out on Dunn, you still have Huff...

Even without Tex, or Dunn.... you still have Huff, Scott, Reimold, and Montanez for 1st, DH, and LF...

Millar turns 37 Sept 24th... Reimold turns 25 October 12th.... only one of them belongs on a team that is supposed to be rebuilding.

So if you sign Tex, who would you rather want as your 13th position player? Millar or Reimold? Reimold wouldn't get the at bats.

If Tex isn't signed. Who plays first if Huff gets hurt?

So if you sign Tex, who would you rather want as your 13th position player? Millar or Reimold? Reimold wouldn't get the at bats.

If Tex isn't signed. Who plays first if Huff gets hurt?

Oscar Salazar and Scott Moore. Dallas McPherson will also be a FA I believe...

The only situation I'd want Millar back in is with him being a bench player, but even then I have a feeling he'll be cutting into Montanez's playing time, or maybe someone like Moore or Costanzo or some other younger player acquired before the start of next season.

That said I do like Millar. A lot. I like that he wants to be here. I just don't see how he fits into the O's next year.

That said I do think he'll be an Oriole next year.

I agree with all of this. I am sure he is a good guy. Truth is he likes Baltimore because he gets to play everyday.

Unless he wants to be on the coaching staff next year, I do not want to see him in a O's uniform

Archived