Bundy traded to Angels for Isaac Mattson, Kyle Bradish, Zach Peek, and Kyle Brnovich

MurphDogg

12 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Ok, so quick take because I know all these guys from draft prep.

Issac Mattson - elite performance reliever, doesn't have the stuff for late inning work but should be useful, high floor

Kyle Bradish - extreme over the top delivery, will show mid rotation stuff, high spin curve, but has trouble holding it

Zach Peek - good frame, body, mediocre stuff guy who had a late velocity spike towards the mid 90s, was a steal in the 6th round.

Brnovich - weird mechanics, big time college performer, deception, blah velocity (BA's 107th overall draft prospect in 2019)

Bradish is a system guy, 12-6 curve, high release.

Brnovich and Mattson are analytics picks, plus results

Peek velocity and pitch design molding clay, 

Intentional? 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One takeaway I have from these trades is that Elias thinks our next window is pretty far away.    The guys we are acquiring are mostly very far away from the majors.    

Farther away, more upside. Not like you are getting high ceiling from upper levels for a Bundy.  

Just now, oriole said:

I didn’t want to see Bundy traded for low level lottery ticket type of players. I know the next few years are lost years but someone has to pitch and I’d rather watch a guy like Bundy who I can root for and wish well for his career than have a few guys who will very likely never make the majors. I’m no scout, I’ll leave the optimism about the players up to those who are familiar with them. I was just really hoping if Bundy was traded, it’d be for at least one prospect worth hoping on. Otherwise I’d be happy to watch him pitch on a 100+ loss team.

I told all that would listen that no one would be happy unless there were two top 100 guys in it. I was told to expect two top 20 organization guys. I expected less and got what I expected. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I think it's more about that "pipeline" than any actual window. He's just getting whatever he can that he likes. And our pieces are such that there's more value in getting lower minors guys. 

But also yeah. Our window is a couple years into the Hall/Rutsch era realistically. 

I don't know if we can accurately predict when a window will open.  We like to think we can, Elias probably does, too.  But it could be there sooner or later than whatever arbitrary year is picked.  

IMO, it seems silly to talk about a "window" that no one knows anything about outside of speculation.  When it happens, it happens.

I don't have much of a problem with this.  A friend of mine who doesn't even like the Orioles just told me he was shocked the O's got a near top 20 prospect in return much less a #30 to go with it.  Bundy's velocity has dropped alarmingly.  Last year some fastballs were only hitting 89-90.

For those panicking, keep in mind we tend to overvalue "our guys".  The only real negative is seeing another familiar face go out the door.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I don't know if we can accurately predict when a window will open.  We like to think we can, Elias probably does, too.  But it could be there sooner or later than whatever arbitrary year is picked.  

IMO, it seems silly to talk about a "window" that no one knows anything about outside of speculation.  When it happens, it happens.

If.

• Upvote 1

Just now, weams said:

I told all that would listen that no one would be happy unless there were two top 100 guys in it. I was told to expect two top 20 organization guys. I expected less and got what I expected. 

I’m not saying it’s less than what I expected by any means...I’d have liked to see him stay put rather than traded for nobodies. It’s really not that big a deal, I’ll still watch the games and maybe even attend a couple but it’s disappointing for sure.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Didn't Houston's window open a year earlier than expected?

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

I didn’t want to see Bundy traded for low level lottery ticket type of players. I know the next few years are lost years but someone has to pitch and I’d rather watch a guy like Bundy who I can root for and wish well for his career than have a few guys who will very likely never make the majors. I’m no scout, I’ll leave the optimism about the players up to those who are familiar with them. I was just really hoping if Bundy was traded, it’d be for at least one prospect worth hoping on. Otherwise I’d be happy to watch him pitch on a 100+ loss team.

What did you really think a guy like Bundy was worth?  Why would anyone give a top flight prospect of any value for a pitcher like Bundy?

Switch places.  If you're working on a trade for Bundy and are the Angels GM, are you even considering giving up anyone in your top 10?  Top 15?  What's a career 4.67 career ERA (and climbing) worth, also taking into consideration that his fastball velocity is 92 on a good day?  Why would you give up significant value for him?  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1