Will Elias be able to improve the O's starting pitching this off season?

wildcard

Just now, 7Mo said:

When you say "cut payroll", that sounds like something different than an overall plan to rebuild the organization.

Elias and Mejdal came in with a plan and a part of that is trading MLB assets that are not long term fits. 

To me, that's far different than cutting payroll. But yes, payroll is far, far less than it was. But I haven't seen anything that says ownership ordered that. 

I mistakingly thought any cut in payroll came at the direction of owenship.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reduce payroll, while you build a competing team from the youth and draft takes time, I believe ownership didnt feel the need to spend money on FAs, as there was too many holes that needed to be filled.

Several of us, believe the payroll will start to rise as the team gets better, the money is there for them to spend, when its relevant.

34 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Reduce payroll, while you build a competing team from the youth and draft takes time, I believe ownership didnt feel the need to spend money on FAs, as there was too many holes that needed to be filled.

Several of us, believe the payroll will start to rise as the team gets better, the money is there for them to spend, when its relevant.

I believe ownership bought a team of executives and a plan. I do not believe they are involved in baseball operations. Unlike their father was.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, weams said:

I believe ownership bought a team of executives and a plan. I do not believe they are involved in baseball operations. Unlike their father was.

Agreed. 

People can agree with Elias' plan or don't, but for the first time in a long time, I think our head of baseball operations is calling all the shots. 

Just now, Dipper9 said:

Agreed. 

People can agree with Elias' plan or don't, but for the first time in a long time, I think our head of baseball operations is calling all the shots. 

It really appears to be the case. Very nimble. Doesn't appear to be checking on anything. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see how saving money changes anything with Davis.

It doesn't. I wonder when either Elias or the Owners figure out he is a huge hindrance to the Team. Or when either Elias or the Owners finally cut him loose. This decision is becoming seriously overdue.

26 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

It doesn't. I wonder when either Elias or the Owners figure out he is a huge hindrance to the Team. Or when either Elias or the Owners finally cut him loose. This decision is becoming seriously overdue.

The earliest they'll cut Davis loose is the end of Spring Training. The fact he's still on the team right now means they'll at least give him through the Spring to show if he can rekindle any part of his past success. As long as the likes of Hess and Smith and Wilkerson (although move valuable at this point than Davis) shows there are still ways to find 40-man spots if needed. There will be another 40-man crunch (potentially) at the end of Spring Training and that's when it may make sense to part with Davis unless he shows a glimmer of hope. Otherwise, the next point may be when Mountcastle gets promoted.

On 12/8/2019 at 10:43 AM, REDMAN said:

We had probably the worst pitching staff in baseball, Elias has already stated the none of the kids are going to pitch until they are ready to stay, there is only one option to improve, sign minor league and major league free agents. They would be sign to one year non-guarantee minor league contracts and the scouts and the new tools can make an evaluation on them,  there is nothing to lose in this situation, you can cut the one who don't have the skills. All teams have done it for years.

Elias talked about Akin, Kremer, and Zimmerman all getting a shot at the majors THIS YEAR, and specifically mentioned Akin as one who could compete for a chance to go north with the team on March 26.