Will Elias be able to improve the O's starting pitching this off season?

wildcard

We all know  that free agent starters only come to the Orioles when they have no where else to go.    Camden Yards and the AL East is one of the hardest places to pitch in the MLB.   The only way to attract starter is to over pay for them and that, of course, is not in the O's plans at this point.  

We expect that Norfolk this season will begin with Akin, Kremer, Zimmerman, Baumann, Lowther and Wells getting starts at AAA.  That is the near term future.  They all have something to prove to make the majors.  Akin may be a month or two away.  The others are probably three to five months or more away.

We know Means, Cobb and Wojo are the O's top three starters.  Elias will need to fill two more starter spots plus add depth  Here are the current candidates for those spots.

(1) David Hess (26)  4-20, 5.84 ERA in the majors.    6-4,  3.83 ERA at AAA.  He is probably best used as  a reliever but enters ST he may compete for a starting role because the O's need starters.  He has options left.

(2) Tom Eshelman (25)   1-2,  6.50 ERA in the majors.   15-18,  4.12 ERA at AAA.   On the Norfolk roster.   

(3) Ty Blach  (29)  16-22,   4.99 ERA in the majors.  28-24,  4.54 ERA at AAA.  On the Norfolk roster.

(4)  Chandler Shepherd (27)   0-0 , 6.63 ERA in the majors.   12-27, 4.62 ERA at AAA.  On the Norfolk roster.

(5) Luis Ortiz (24)   0-2,  12.71 ERA in the majors.    5-8, 5.51 ERA at AAA.  on the Norfolk roster.

The question is will Elias be able to improve on these starter candidates without spending much money through the waiver wire, purchases, trades, non tenders and free agents from both major and minor  leagues?   Past history shows if starters have a choice they go elsewhere.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We all know  that free agent starters only come to the Orioles when they have no where else to go.    Camden Yards and the AL East is one of the hardest places to pitch in the MLB.   The only way to attract starter is to over pay for them and that, of course, is not in the O's plans at this point.  

We expect that Norfolk this season will begin with Akin, Kremer, Zimmerman, Baumann, Lowther and Wells getting starts at AAA.  That is the near term future.  They all have something to prove to make the majors.  Akin may be a month or two away.  They others are probably three to five months or more away.

We know Means, Cobb and Wojo are the O's top three starters.  Elias will need to fill two more starter spots plus add depth  Here are the current candidates for those spots.

(1) David Hess (26)  4-20, 5.84 ERA in the majors.    6-4,  3.83 ERA at AAA.  He is probably best used as  a reliever but enters ST he may compete for a starting role because the O's need starters.  He has options left.

(2) Tom Eshelman (25)   1-2,  6.50 ERA in the majors.   15-18,  4.12 ERA at AAA.   On the Norfolk roster.   

(3) Ty Blach  (29)  16-22,   4.99 ERA in the majors.  28-24,  4.54 ERA at AAA.  On the Norfolk roster.

(4)  Chandler Shepherd (27)   0-0 , 6.63 ERA in the majors.   12-27, 4.62 ERA at AAA.  On the Norfolk.

(5) Luis Ortiz (24)   0-2,  12.71 ERA in the majors.    5-8, 5.51 ERA at AAA.  on the Norfolk roster.

The question is will Elias be able to improve on these starter candidates without spending much money through the waiver wire, purchases, trades, non tenders and free agents from both major and minor  leagues?   Past history shows if starters have a choice they go elsewhere.

No . it will be dumpster driving all the way, but people won't complain because its Elias doing it. If he was serious about improving the problem, he would have already sign every major and minor free agent SP out there who would take a minor league contract. On the other hand, if I was a major or minor league pitcher, Baltimore and the Rockies, are the last place, I want to pitch for,  even when the opportunity are unlimited.  But if I was a hitter, its the exact opposite.

8 minutes ago, REDMAN said:

No . it will be dumpster driving all the way, but people won't complain because its Elias doing it. If he was serious about improving the problem, he would have already sign every major and minor free agent SP out there who would take a minor league contract. On the other hand, if I was a major or minor league pitcher, Baltimore and the Rockies, are the last place, I want to pitch for,  even when the opportunity are unlimited.  But if I was a hitter, its the exact opposite.

So, signing every pitcher willing to sign a minor league contract would improve the pitching?

This makes no sense.

• Upvote 3

Shepperd seemed like he was possibly turning a corner towards the end of his AAA season and he flashed a little in his brief MLB appearance.  The rest of those names above were blah.  Ortiz has a shot, but he probably needs another full year in AAA.

I don't see how he can improve it through FA when we know none of the big names are targets. Signing scrap heap guys to minor league deals won't improve it either.

I think this year the best thing to do is manage to make it until all the guys in AAA are ready and see what they can do. Sign one or two Ynoa types to fill roles until they're ready.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't care.  I only really care how the staff looks in 2021 and after.  Who the Orioles have on the mound for 2020 is inconsequential when it comes to considering pitchers who aren't being looked at as possible pieces of the future.  Quad A types, Rule 5ers, retreads, I'm not interested.  

2020 is all about the 17 year old Dominicans. 

1 hour ago, REDMAN said:

Do you really feel this way or did some shock jock espouse this to you?

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't care.  I only really care how the staff looks in 2021 and after.  Who the Orioles have on the mound for 2020 is inconsequential when it comes to considering pitchers who aren't being looked at as possible pieces of the future.  Quad A types, Rule 5ers, retreads, I'm not interested.  

More or less how I feel.    The starting pitching is going to stink, and I care far more about how the minor leaguers progress than how the filler we pick up performs.   

26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Were you interested in John Means last December?