Caleb Joseph has an option left

wildcard

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't care how down anyone can be on Sisco.  We're going to lose, and lose a lot.  If we're not giving shots to younger players, than what team should?  

.729 OPS in his age 24 season.  Tough crowd.  

Tough indeed. Jackie Bradley Jr had a .531 OPS in 2014, 137 games. He hasn't turned out too bad. I know he plays good D and Sisco has questionable D. But, you lose nothing for 2020 and help coming up soon after. I don't believe retreads, such as CJ, serve any purpose on this team for position players.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

@Tony-OH or somebody else can correct me.

I think most ST camps want 6 or 7 catchers around, before cutting down the numbers for the parent club and then AAA.

There is more enough playing time in ST for the catchers.

IMO, not sure Sisco is a viable option for catching from a defender point.

You're correct. It is usually the 3/4 catchers on the 40, a prospect they want to give more time to, then some "catch and throw" guys from the low minors.

5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

You're correct. It is usually the 3/4 catchers on the 40, a prospect they want to give more time to, then some "catch and throw" guys from the low minors.

From a future extra coach around with veteran experience to help instruct the youngsters, I would have no issues with an invite to ST for Joseph.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We have to find out what we have in Severino and Sisco.  Heck, Wynns too.  Joseph would be ok to have around for AAA depth, but I don't want him taking playing time away from anyone.  

Nor do I think Elias will let that happen. I agree that next year the catching duo should be Sisco/Severino barring any injuries.

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

@Tony-OH or somebody else can correct me.

I think most ST camps want 6 or 7 catchers around, before cutting down the numbers for the parent club and then AAA.

There is more enough playing time in ST for the catchers.

IMO, not sure Sisco is a viable option for catching from a defender point.

I'm not sold on Sisco as a long term starter either, but next year he should get a healthy amount of playing time in order to make a final decision on whether he should stay at catcher or whether he has enough bat to play elsewhere.

1 hour ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Tough indeed. Jackie Bradley Jr had a .531 OPS in 2014, 137 games. He hasn't turned out too bad. I know he plays good D and Sisco has questionable D. But, you lose nothing for 2020 and help coming up soon after. I don't believe retreads, such as CJ, serve any purpose on this team for position players.

My point was not about Caleb being a savior, but Cisco has no D and has trouble making contact.

I think he’s arrived at his level. He did improve his strike out rate, so perhaps he can hit better. He might have success at a different position, but he can’t run, he can’t throw, and at the moment, he can’t hit either. 

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sold on Sisco as a long term starter either, but next year he's should get a healthy amount of playing time to make a final decision on whether he should stay at catcher or whether he has enough bat to play elsewhere.

Good point, but I think we need more than Severino and Sisco, just for depth sake.

There is space for Joseph, IMO, even if just for ST, and my opinion does not agree with other posters.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

My point was not about Caleb being a savior, but Cisco has no D and has trouble making contact.

I think he’s arrived at his level. He did improve his strike out rate, so perhaps he can hit better. He might have success at a different position, but he can’t run, he can’t throw, and at the moment, he can’t hit either. 

When CJ was stuck at AA most here thought he could not catch. I liked CJ, a player that got a chance and did relatively well. His D ended up being better than his O (and I'd like to see a footrace with Sisco). If Cisco is so bad, then just release him, but keep Sisco and see what happens in 2020.

17 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

When CJ was stuck at AA most here thought he could not catch. I liked CJ, a player that got a chance and did relatively well. His D ended up being better than his O (and I'd like to see a footrace with Sisco). If Cisco is so bad, then just release him, but keep Sisco and see what happens in 2020.

Joseph busted a gut to work out his D issues with the minor league coaches and the FO told them to get off the stick and work on his D with him

Cisco has worked hard too, but just hasnt seen the results that Caleb did, but not everybody is identical either.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Of course we need insurance for injuries but I’d rather see 

1. Sev/Sisco getting the at-bats for the O’s

2. Wynns/Cervenka getting the at-bats for the Tides

3. Cumberland getting the at-bats for the Baysox 

Evaluate Evaluate Evaluate 

Exactly.  Next year isn't going to be pretty, but we have to find out what we have in guys like Sisco, Severino, Scott, Hess, Stewart, Ruiz, Smith Jr., etc....  Why would a 100+ loss team be anywhere near to giving up on a player too soon?

25 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Joseph busted a gut to work out his D issues with the minor league coaches and the FO told them to get off the stick and work on his D with him

Cisco has worked hard too, but just hasnt seen the results that Caleb did, but not everybody is identical either.

IIRC, the minor league coaches had basically given up on CJ at catcher and were playing him in LF and DH more and more. Russell worked hard with him when he came up here.  I could be wrong. BTW, at least spell Sisco correctly.