Clubhouse fights

Frobby

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

No, he wasn’t joking.    He gave specific examples of things that came up.   But none of those things actually resulted in a physical fight, and Roch basically described them as things that happen between guys when they are together every day for months on end, as the beat reporters are just as the players are.    He basically said all these guys are his friends but sometimes tensions arise.    

I guess I'm in the minority...because  I've never even come close to getting in a physical altercation with any of my work colleagues. Then again, I'm also not in my 60s and still posting pics of my "guns" on social media. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I guess I'm in the minority...because  I've never even come close to getting in a physical altercation with any of my work colleagues. Then again, I'm also not in my 60s and still posting pics of my "guns" on social media. 

I don't think he's in his 60s.   Can't prove it, but his bio says he was at UMD from 81-85.   If he graduated HS in 81 and went directly to college that would make him 56-57ish right now.   Honestly I wouldn't have pegged him for that old, I would have guessed 50 if you had asked me.

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't think he's in his 60s.   Can't prove it, but his bio says he was at UMD from 81-85.   If he graduated HS in 81 and went directly to college that would make him 56-57ish right now.   Honestly I wouldn't have pegged him for that old, I would have guessed 50 if you had asked me.

I believe he was class of ‘81 at Old Mill High School. I’ve seen him around the Millersville area a few times over the years. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Yeah in my professional life I have never gotten close to physical altercation at work. When I was in college one summer I worked at a factory where some of the temporary workers were on work release from prison.  Got close a couple of times with those guys. 

On 1/4/2020 at 5:21 PM, Frobby said:

- Jay Payton and Juan Samuel, after Payton was giving Samuel grief about how poorly he’d thrown in batting practice and went on too long about it.    Samuel grabbed Payton by the throat and shoved his head into a locker.     If I understood them correctly, this happened the same day that Dave Trembley was given the permanent manager’s job and the Orioles lost 30-3.     

Kudos to Juan Samuel. Jay Payton was pretty jacked and likely on roids. Don’t mess with Juan. What a jerk Payton was. 

I’d probably take Hyde in a fight against anyone on our team. He did the smart thing, went after the biggest guy. Davis. 

29 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Kudos to Juan Samuel. Jay Payton was pretty jacked and likely on roids. Don’t mess with Juan. What a jerk Payton was. 

I’d probably take Hyde in a fight against anyone on our team. He did the smart thing, went after the biggest guy. Davis. 

Duquette described Payton as “pretty slight.”

13 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I guess I'm in the minority...because  I've never even come close to getting in a physical altercation with any of my work colleagues. 

We lawyers don’t have physical fights, we just write each other nasty letters.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

We lawyers don’t have physical fights, we just write each other nasty letters.

.... but make sure that we don't libel or slander the other party while calling him/her a "butt hole" in legalize!  ?

I wish that Roch had opened up some more on the Davis/Hyder brouhaha this past season (but we'll have to wait for the book a few years down the road ?).  

14 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Hey now, he doesn't look a day over 55.

On 1/4/2020 at 5:21 PM, Frobby said:

Roch also talked about how upset Rodrigo Lopez was when he lost his arbitration pitch, and spent all his time that year trying to address all the things the team said about him at the hearing and consequently had a terrible year.   

Roch rehashed some of this in his blog today:

Pitcher Rodrigo López was in a major funk in 2006 when he came back to the Fort Lauderdale complex after losing his hearing. There’s no doubt that the process impacted him negatively.

Former executive Jim Duquette recalls how López tried to reinvent himself after being told of his shortcomings, getting away from his successful flyball approach and attempting to induce more ground balls.

López went a career-worst 9-18 with a 5.90 ERA and 1.550 WHIP after posting ERAs of 3.59 and 4.90 and WHIPs of 1.277 and 1.409 the two previous seasons. He won 14 and 15 games during that stretch. His WAR was 4.8 in 2004 and -0.2 in 2006.

Duquette said agent Scott Boras used a statistic the previous day to enhance pitcher Kyle Lohse’s case, then minimized its importance as it related to López. The panel wasn’t buying it.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/01/gonzalez-on-rebuilds-and-more-on-arbitration.html