Kyle Bradish - breakout candidate?

Luke-OH

14 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Joey Ortiz isnt even on any prospect lists that im aware off either. Thats encouraging news if he can stick at SS. I do see he is rated 36th on fangraphs Orioles top 45, with a 35+ rating. Not exactly eye opening. Grenier is ranked 21st. Ortiz is the lowest rated MI on that list. 

Age 22.6 Height 5′ 11″ Weight 175 Bat / Thr R / R FV 35+
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
30/45 40/45 30/35 55/55 50/60 55

Ortiz is a glove-first shortstop prospect whose offensive production in college was ultra-inflated by the Las Cruces altitude. His swing, unaltered since college to my eye, is long and only capable of doing pull-side damage. The glove gives him a good shot to be a utility infielder but that outcome is dependent on something more developing on offense. (Fall Instructional League)

Screen_Shot_2017-02-22_at_12.29.49_PM.pn

• Upvote 1

Obviously the odds are still against Ortiz and Blood is going to be a bit biased but I do find it interesting when these guys mention specific unheralded prospects as break out candidates. There’s at least something there. Good for Ortiz

It will be so nice to have an actual minor league season where these guys can go perform against their peers, show what they can do, and get better.    I’ve heard a lot of happy talk from Matt Blood and others about various players, and while I enjoy hearing that, I need to see it prove out on the field.    Eleven more days until MiL opening day.   I can’t wait!

• Upvote 3

During an interview, another player, maybe DL Hall, said that Ortiz really shined in Instructs. He asked Ortiz what he did to up his power and Ortiz replied that he just hit off a tee all Summer, lol. And then Matt Blood mentioned him a short time later. I agree, we don't know if we can trust what Blood says, not yet. It sure would be nice if Blood was accurate in his comments, but Ortiz and Bradish certainly have a lot to prove. 

Someone we never seem to hear anything about is Kyle Stowers, Comp B pick in 2019. That was a pick that I questioned at the time, and I wonder if he is one player that the layoff may have really hurt in his development. Seems to have a long way to go and really needs at bats.

4 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

During an interview, another player, maybe DL Hall, said that Ortiz really shined in Instructs. He asked Ortiz what he did to up his power and Ortiz replied that he just hit off a tee all Summer, lol. And then Matt Blood mentioned him a short time later. I agree, we don't know if we can trust what Blood says, not yet. It sure would be nice if Blood was accurate in his comments, but Ortiz and Bradish certainly have a lot to prove. 

Someone we never seem to hear anything about is Kyle Stowers, Comp B pick in 2019. That was a pick that I questioned at the time, and I wonder if he is one player that the layoff may have really hurt in his development. Seems to have a long way to go and really needs at bats.

I remember watching video of Stowers after the draft and thinking he looked like he had less power than Gunnar, despite being 3 1/2 years older. However, I read some reviews about Stowers this past Spring that said his power was legit. He seems like the biggest "unknown quantity" of the high picks from the past few years. (Though I am sure one could add Kjerstad to the top of that list.)

• Upvote 1