The Waiver Wire

sportsfan8703

12 hours ago, 7Mo said:

Jose Siri maybe?

The Reds announced Monday that they’ve designated outfielder Jose Siri for assignment. His spot on the 40-man roster goes to fellow outfielder Nicholas Castellanos, whose previously reported four-year, $64MM contract has now been formally announced.

Siri, 24, was considered to be among Cincinnati’s best farmhands just two years ago. FanGraphs, in fact, ranked him near the back end of the game’s 100 best prospects (No. 93 overall) heading into the 2018 campaign. At that point, he was a 22-year-old who was fresh off an impressive .293/.341/.530 slash with 24 homers and 46 steals in the Class-A Midwest League.

Since that time, however, Siri has turned in a pair of disappointing seasons, logging a combined on-base percentage south of .300 in 2018-19 between Class-A Advanced, Double-A and Triple-A. This past season, Siri mustered a lackluster .237/.300/.357 showing through 517 plate appearances in the minors, and he’s struggled even more heavily in the Dominican Winter League (.196/.264/.411 in 125 plate appearances).

Siri has a minor league option remaining and is a plus runner who has been touted as a potentially plus defensive player, making him a reasonable bounceback target for a club that’s lacking outfield depth. The Reds will have a week to trade him, place him on outright waivers or release him.

Hyde:  "Hey Siri..."

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwZEttJ_TZch4ww0NOkQS

Hyde:  Steal a base.

• Like 1

Boston spent more than $146 million on its 2014 international class, including a $72.5 million contract for Rusney Castillo and a record $31.5 million bonus (plus a matching amount in penalty tax) for Yoan Moncada.

Just think about that for a moment.    Boston spent more money on international signings in 2014 than 25 teams spent on their major league payroll.    

• Upvote 1

On 1/29/2020 at 8:20 AM, Frobby said:

Just think about that for a moment.    Boston spent more money on international signings in 2014 than 25 teams spent on their major league payroll.    

To be fair, comparing total contract values to single season payrolls is apples-oranges, but your general point is a good one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The last few guys we’ve DFA’d were Hanhold, Diplan, Kline, and Valaika. We haven’t lost any yet. 

Elias has done a good job using our waiver position and building the overall strength of the 40 man. He’s building the depth from the bottom up.

You do make a valid point. On the other hand, nobody we lost was worthwhile to any other team. When the worst team dumps somebody, everyone better is unlikely to be interested.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Philip said:

You do make a valid point. On the other hand, nobody we lost was worthwhile to any other team. When the worst team dumps somebody, everyone better is unlikely to be interested.

But right now every team in baseball, minus the pirates, has a full 40 man roster. So in order to claim someone they have to DFA someone themselves. Here’s a nice resource below,

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-team-info-tracker/

We DFA’d a 28 yo reliever. Boston DFA’d their # 27 prospect. It’s not always an apples to apples comparison. 

• Thanks 1

The next Hanser Alberto?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/02/cardinals-claim-ricardo-sanchez.html

Urias, a longtime veteran of the Mexican League, has spent the last two seasons in the Cardinals’ farm system.  The bulk of that time has been spent at the Triple-A level, where the 25-year-old hit .262/.347/.426 with 14 homers over 524 plate appearances.  Urias has played mostly as a second baseman while in the Cards’ organization, though he also has quite a bit of experience as a third baseman, and seen some time as a shortstop, first baseman, and left fielder over his nine professional seasons.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=urias-000ram&utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-

We definitely need more depth at 3B/SS in the upper minors.  .369 OBP last year in AAA.  I know PCL, but the division that Memphis plays in isn't one of the crazy divisions of the PCL that are out West.  

The questions are... Can he play SS defensively, or hit enough to play 3B?  

17 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The next Hanser Alberto?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/02/cardinals-claim-ricardo-sanchez.html

Urias, a longtime veteran of the Mexican League, has spent the last two seasons in the Cardinals’ farm system.  The bulk of that time has been spent at the Triple-A level, where the 25-year-old hit .262/.347/.426 with 14 homers over 524 plate appearances.  Urias has played mostly as a second baseman while in the Cards’ organization, though he also has quite a bit of experience as a third baseman, and seen some time as a shortstop, first baseman, and left fielder over his nine professional seasons.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=urias-000ram&utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-

We definitely need more depth at 3B/SS in the upper minors.  .369 OBP last year in AAA.  I know PCL, but the division that Memphis plays in isn't one of the crazy divisions of the PCL that are out West.  

The questions are... Can he play SS defensively, or hit enough to play 3B?  

I'd be into it. Claim and DFA, see if he passes through. 

7 hours ago, Ven6 said:

Think this one (Kyle Garlick, OF) might require trading for:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/02/dodgers-designate-tyler-white-kyle-garlick.html

I didn’t realize that Mason Williams was LH. Smith Jr and Stewart are as well. 

Is Garlick better than Smith Jr?  

Stewart will likely start the season on the IL. Mountcastle in AAA. There could be ABs for Garlick, but we’re probably not in a position to DFA any pitching, or infielders, for the “luxury” of a platoon RH bat that is 28. Garlick has good AAA numbers though. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I didn’t realize that Mason Williams was LH. Smith Jr and Stewart are as well. 

Is Garlick better than Smith Jr?  

Stewart will likely start the season on the IL. Mountcastle in AAA. There could be ABs for Garlick, but we’re probably not in a position to DFA any pitching, or infielders, for the “luxury” of a platoon RH bat that is 28. Garlick has good AAA numbers though. 

They really could use a RH OF. Right now ask yourself this, when Davis sits who plays? Nunez and Mancini are already playing. I was thinking Mason and Dwight would both make the team but maybe not. I know on a team like this one it really doesn’t matter but still. We have a ton of RH hitters but we know Davis isn’t playing every game. Perhaps they just wait until Mountcastle arrives and get by until then.