Unilateral NL DH by 2021?

weams

44 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

Not really dumb by the premise that he most likely would have had a shorter career if not for the DH.

I would require evidence that shows that first basemen have shorter careers and get injured more regularly than DHs. It certainly isn't definitively so.

34 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Bro, you're not going to knock me off by calling it a "straw man" argument.  Everyone who's ever said "OMG STRAW MAN!" at someone just automatically expects the other side to just kowtow.  And that ain't happening here, hombre.

Yes, two situations are remotely comparable.  It would be two conferences/divisions in same sport, playing the same sport with two separate sets of rules, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is what happens between the AL and NL.  Just because when you plant your ass in one stadium doesn't mean you should have to watch a slightly different strategy than you would had you planted your ass in another stadium.  

Would the NFC benefit from not having field goal kickers while the AFC had to kick the PAT?  Probably.  The NFC would still have to employ a kicker of some sort for kickoffs and regular field goals.  The NFC would probably have higher scoring games but the better kickers would most likely be in the AFC because now PATs aren't chip shots anymore.  So it does create a different strategy because roster setups would be different.  You would have teams in the NFC possibly trying to get one guy who could punt/kickoff/PAT in an effort to open up another roster spot for a linebacker, safety, guard, etc.  

No, it is a strawman, because what you’re suggesting with your football scenario is not remotely comparable to baseball’s use or not use of the designated hitter(However, I completely understand your ire that many people use a strawman argument as a knee-jerk response when they don’t have anything else with which to counter. Fortunately that is not true in this case.)

A more appropriate comparison, if you insist on using the football analogy, would be the difference between Canadian and American rules, but that is also a poor example because rules are so different.

The nature of baseball is such that using or not using the designated hitter has absolutely no Effect on anything except strategy, and that strategy is much more intricate when you do not have the designated hitter.

The American League will tend to have more offense, but more offense does not necessarily make for a more interesting or exciting game.

Almost every major Manfred decision has been to the detriment of the game. I am not necessarily a traditionalist, but I do look askance on changes that do not bring benefits, and I do not think that this one does.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

No, it is a strawman, because what you’re suggesting with your football scenario is not remotely comparable to baseball’s use or not use of the designated hitter(However, I completely understand your ire that many people use a strawman argument as a knee-jerk response when they don’t have anything else with which to counter. Fortunately that is not true in this case.)

A more appropriate comparison, if you insist on using the football analogy, would be the difference between Canadian and American rules, but that is also a poor example because rules are so different.

The nature of baseball is such that using or not using the designated hitter has absolutely no Effect on anything except strategy, and that strategy is much more intricate when you do not have the designated hitter.

The American League will tend to have more offense, but more offense does not necessarily make for a more interesting or exciting game.

Almost every major Manfred decision has been to the detriment of the game. I am not necessarily a traditionalist, but I do look askance on changes that do not bring benefits, and I do not think that this one does.

How's it not remotely comparable?  Do you even watch football?  

4 hours ago, esmd said:

I don't see why a manager could choose to NOT have a DH if a pitcher is a good hitter.  Doubt any of them will, but I think technically you could allow your pitcher to hit in the AL, correct.  Doesn't Shohei Otani hit?

Not on days he pitches.  If you elect to start the game without a DH, you forfeit it for the entire game.  

5 hours ago, jamalshw said:

Baseball still has much more variety than any other sport. No other sport has varying distances in its field of play. That in itself provides some variety.

I'm onboard with a universal DH, but I wonder if it opens the door for more playing time for no-hit SS or C types. I also wonder if/when a team will use the DH to replace said light hitting defensive whiz rather than the pitcher (when, say, Ohtani or Bumgarner are on the mound).

The universal DH could also open the door to more two-way players. While you don't have pitchers hitting as frequently. You have more opportunities to use a pitcher at the plate without the threat of using him in the field, too.

In MLB the DH has to be used for a pitcher.