O's claim Travis Lakins, DFA Stevie Wilkerson

interloper

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

DFA a low spin rate pitcher(Kline) for a high spin rate pitcher(Lakins). 

Mason Williams is here if we lose Wilkerson.

Elias is working the waiver wire. That’s now 15/40 of the 40 man roster that have been acquired by Elias from outside the organization since Elias has been here. 

How many of those 15 will make it through the season. 

10 minutes ago, atomic said:

How many of those 15 will make it through the season. 

Bold = Elias

Projected OD roster,

Means, Cobb, Wojo, Stewart, Bailey

Givens, Castro, Bleier, Scott, Harvey, Hess, Armstrong, Rucker

Smith, Hays, Santander

Ruiz, Iglesias, Alberto, Mancini, Nunez, Severino 

Davis, Urena, Williams, Sisco

12/26 in a year. 15/40. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bold = Elias

Projected OD roster,

Means, Cobb, Wojo, Stewart, Bailey

Givens, Castro, Bleier, Scott, Harvey, Hess, Armstrong, Rucker

Smith, Hays, Santander

Ruiz, Iglesias, Alberto, Mancini, Nunez, Severino 

Davis, Urena, Williams, Sisco

12/26 in a year. 15/40. 

I’m not so sure about Smith, I think he’s very likely to be replaced by somebody else, although I’m not sure who might have the leg up.

Not sold on Hess or Scott either.Their options status might change things a little bit, but those are definitely two bullpen guys on the bubble.

Finally, although it could go either way, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Sisco Doesn’t make the team out of camp.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As you know, I never thought that was the likely outcome.    Needless to say, if Wilkerson remains in the organization he still has a chance to win a roster spot.

1)   Wilkerson probably gets claimed.

2) I have no idea who plays 2nd base if Alberto does not hit vs righties.

3) Neither 1 or 2 makes any difference if the O's want to lose in 2020.

6 hours ago, 7Mo said:

Was #15 on the Red Sox prospects list as of March 2019:

The righty is not really the type of reliever we’ve gotten used to around the league over the last few years. Instead of pairing a huge fastball and a devastating breaking ball, Lakins boasts four pitches that could be average or better. One of those is a big fastball that can get up to the upper-90s in shorter stints. Beyond that he throws both a cutter and a slider, which share similar movement but come in at different speeds, as well as a curveball and a changeup that may be scrapped. The repertoire was never the issue for starting, and it carries over to his relief profile. However, the arsenal is not a finished product, as he needs to work on commanding all of his pitches in any situation.

https://www.overthemonster.com/2019/3/15/18266925/red-sox-top-prospects-travis-lakins-bullpen-depth

He’s still showing on the Red Sox 30 (#23) on MLB. Here’s what they had to say. My guess is he slots somewhere in our top 30

They acknowledge the team change but haven’t moved him yet.

Travis Lakins | Rank: 23 (Preseason: 17)

Team: Baltimore OriolesETA: 2019Position: RHPAge: 25 DOB: 06/29/1994Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6' 1" Weight: 180 lb.Drafted: 2015, 6th (171) - BOS

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Cutter: 60 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 45 | Overall: 40

Lakins has shown some of the best stuff in the system ever since the Red Sox made him the first pitcher they selected in the 2015 Draft and signed him for an over-slot $320,000 in the sixth round. But he saw his first two pro seasons end prematurely because of a recurring stress fracture in his elbow and also missed the first three weeks of the 2018 season. Boston shifted him to the bullpen in order to keep him healthy, and he not only stayed on the mound but also posted the best numbers of his career.

Lakins had four legitimate pitches as a starter but focuses on two as a reliever. His upper-80s cutter is his bread and butter, and he plays it off a 92-95 mph fastball that can hit 97 with some modest life. His downer curveball showed flashes of becoming a plus offering when he used it more in the past season, and his fading changeup had its moments as well.

Working in shorter stints, Lakins demonstrates better control and command than he did as a starter. He has a strong, athletic frame and a sound delivery, so he should be durable, but the Red Sox didn't have him pitch on consecutive days in 2018. He proved he could handle a heavier bullpen workload this year and made his big league debut in April.

INT

TeamWLERAGGSSVIPHHRBBKAVGWHIPGO/AO

PAW (AAA)344.60401645.04642342.2641.530.69

Minors344.60401645.0

This appears to be a good move

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=bos

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Yeah the amenities are pretty outdated at the yard and they seem to do nothing year over year to improve them. The touchscreens have been banged on to death to the point they barely function, so you can't accurately fill out your order at the kiosks, and they don't have a way for the people behind the counter to ring you up at many of the food places. The sound is low to non-existent in certain sections of the club level, like around 218. Seems like there should be speakers that reach there but they might have been damaged by rain, etc. and they are too lazy to fix them. If you go to a game that's even slightly busy, you will wait forever to get into the bathroom, and the sink will be an absolute mess with no soap or paper towels. It's even worse on the club level where they have one sink that's right by the door. Nearby businesses don't care, either. The Hilton parking garage reeks of decay, pot and human waste. They don't turn on the air circulation fans, even if cars are waiting for an hour and a half to exit from P3, filling up the air with carbon monoxide. They only let you enter the stadium with one 20 oz bottle of water. It's so expensive to buy a drink or water in the stadium, but with all the salty food, 20 oz of water isn't enough, especially on a hot day. Vegetarian food options are poor to none, other than things like chips, fries, hot pretzels and the occasional pizza. Vida Taco is better, but at an inconvenient location for many seats. The doors on the club level are not accessible. They're anti-accessible. Big, heavy doors you have to go through to get to/from the escalators, and big, heavy doors to get to your seats, none of them automatic (or even with the option to be automatic with a button press). Makes it hard to carry food out to your seats even if not handicapped. The furniture in the lounges on the club level seem designed to allow as few people as possible to sit down. Not great when we have so many rain delays during the season. Should put more, smaller chairs in and allow more of the club level ticket holders to have a seat while waiting for thunderstorms to pass. They keep a lot of the entrance/exit gates closed except for playoff/sellout games, which means people have to slowly "mooooo" all the way down Eutaw St to get to parking. They are too cheap to staff all the gates, so they make people exit by the warehouse, even though it would be a lot more convenient for many fans to open all the gates. Taking Light Rail would be super convenient, except that if there's at least 20k fans in attendance, it's common to have to wait 90-120 minutes to be able to board a non-full train heading toward Glen Burnie. A few trains might come by, but they are already full, or fill up fast when folks walk up to the Convention Center stop to pre-empt the folks trying to board at Camden Station. None of the garages in the area are set up to require pre-payment on entry (reservation, or give them your card / digital payment at the entrance till). If they were, emptying out the garage would be very quick, as they wouldn't need to ticket anyone on the way out: if you can't get in without paying, you can always just leave without having to stop and scan your phone or put a ticket in the machine. They shut down the Sports Legends Museum at Camden Station in 2015 because the Maryland Stadium Authority was too greedy. That place was a fun distraction if you were in the area when a game wasn't about to start, like if you show up super early on Opening Day or a playoff day. Superbook's restaurant on Eutaw is a huge downgrade from Dempsey's in terms of menu and service quality. Dempsey's used to be well-staffed, you could reserve a table online, and they had all kinds of great selection for every diet. Superbook seems like just another bar serving the same swill that the rest of the park serves, with extremely minimal and low-quality food. For that matter, most of the food at the stadium is very low quality these days. A lot of things we used to love are made to a lower standard now if they are served at all. These are gripes about the stadium and the area that haven't changed my entire adult life. Going to an O's game requires one to tolerate many small inconveniences and several major inconveniences, any number of which could easily be fixed by the relevant authorities if they gave a damn about the people who pay to come see the team play. You would think a mid-market team would be able to afford to invest in the fan experience. You would think the city and partnering organizations like garages, the Stadium Authority and MTA would at least try to do their part to make the experience enjoyable and free of kinks. You would think they would put some thought into handling the "growing pains" of the fanbase due to recent renewed interest after the dark years. Instead, all we get is the same indifference and the same annoyances year in and year out. The whole area is overdue for a revamp. Not sure if $600 mil will get it done, but at least it's a start. Hopefully they can start to patch up some of the many holes in the fan experience. If you're not going to invest in Burnes, at least make it so paying customers have an easier, more enjoyable time getting to/from the stadium and having some food while we're there.
    • Elias has only been in rebuild mode with the O's so there's not much to speculate on there.  Houston, where he spent his formative years, doesn't seem to like to be on the hook for more than a couple of big long-term contracts at any given time.  I can see that as being Elias' choice as well, albeit with a lower overall cost - Houston runs a big payroll.  But it's all guesswork.  I really don't know. If Elias takes the 2025 payroll to $150 million it will creep up to $200 million or so by 2028 just from keeping the core together.  That's where I start to wonder about sustainability due to market size, economic forces, etc., etc., etc... If it were up to me, I would add a couple of free agents this offseason even if the contracts were longer than ideal and be conservative about extensions elsewhere until the prospects establish themselves a little better.  I think there's a competitive opportunity that the team is already into that's worth exploiting. I think ownership is very happy to have Elias on board and they're not inclined to force him to do anything.  I also think Rubenstein's demonstrated business prowess is great enough to assume that he has had plenty enough time to come to a mutual understanding with Elias as to goals.
    • We need a RH O’hearn…in addition to Westburg. At least 3 batters that will push up the pitch count and cause damage in the top 5 of the lineup.
    • Boy,  that Jackson Merrill is a good young player that is playing his best ball down the season stretch and in the playoffs.   He's only 21.  I guess some young guys are able to play up to the pressure.   Who could have guessed that?
    • I’m aware.   You are arguing something im Not.
    • What agreement? The agreement you are talking about happened as a result of the move.  The MASN agreement would not have existed if Angelos had gone to court to block the move.
    • I’m saying the Os had an agreement with MLB and that should have held up.  Been pretty clear about that. 
  • Popular Contributors