What Do the Orioles See in Shawn Armstrong?

mdbdotcom

1 hour ago, thezeroes said:

Other than having an innings limit, I think Sixth Starter/Long reliever is in the cards for Cody.  If we go to an opener, he would be my candidate as the guy out of the bullpen.

Since Cody Carroll went pro he has pitched in 123 games.  Only 7 of those have been as a starter.   I don't think the O's will be using him as a start or a long reliever.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Really good interview of Armstrong here, talking about adjustments he made with the pitching coaches over the winter.  https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/02/os-bullpen-righty-shawn-armstrong-on-his-winter-adjustments.html

I like Steve, I think he’s pretty good at providing meaningful information, And I like his radio work, he has a distinctive voice and he’s my favorite of the radio guys at this time

• 5 months later...

There is some good upside in the arm of Armstrong..and he had some positive peripherals last year, despite a high ERA.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he becomes a solid BP piece for a while..just as it wouldn’t surprise me if he is a DFA guy and out of baseball in a year.

Right now, I think he is one the guys in the pen that should be used for high leverage situations.

I never need to see Carroll pitch again.  He isnt a MLer.  He has zero idea where the ball is going and while he throws hard, his stuff is pretty mediocre.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There is some good upside in the arm of Armstrong..and he had some positive peripherals last year, despite a high ERA.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he becomes a solid BP piece for a while..just as it wouldn’t surprise me if he is a DFA guy and out of baseball in a year.

Right now, I think he is one the guys in the pen that should be used for high leverage situations.

I never need to see Carroll pitch again.  He isnt a MLer.  He has zero idea where the ball is going and while he throws hard, his stuff is pretty mediocre.

I would not give up on Carroll yet.  Just send him to Bowie and let him get his act together.  He had to pitch better then this when he was in the minors.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I would not give up on Carroll yet.  Just send him to Bowie and let him get his act together.  He had to pitch better then this when he was in the minors.

They don’t have to give up on him but he’s not going to become anything in all likelihood.  When you can’t command/control your fastball and your fastball doesn’t have good movement, you have very little hope of becoming anything.

He’s already 27.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They don’t have to give up on him but he’s not going to become anything in all likelihood.  When you can’t command/control your fastball and your fastball doesn’t have good movement, you have very little hope of becoming anything.

He’s already 27.

He had a 2.38 ERA for the Yankees at AAA in 2018.  He didn't pitch last year.  He needs some time to get his act together and find whatever got him to the majors.   

38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He had a 2.38 ERA for the Yankees at AAA in 2018.  He didn't pitch last year.  He needs some time to get his act together and find whatever got him to the majors.   

It was 41 innings and he was 25 years old.

The year before, his MiL numbers were good but again, he was an advanced age for his league.

Its not really that impressive.