O's Caravan, Turf Valley and Mike Elias

Carllamy

6 minutes ago, Carllamy said:

I went to the O's Caravan at Turf Valley Resort today at 11:00 A.M.

First, for anyone who might want to see pictures, I've posted some on the Orioles Hangout Facebook page.

Turns out the O's caravan was just about autographs. There was no Q&A session or speeches. They were doing a few giveaways and ticket selling as well.

Today it was Mike Elias and Hanser Alberto. Brian Roberts was also supposed to be there, but he couldn't make it.

I met a couple of friends there who got there 20 mins early and who told me at that time the line was out the door and into the parking lot. I got there just at 11:00 A.M. You were handed an autograph voucher and told that, to be assured of an autograph you needed a voucher, but that you could always just stand in line and hope. I only got one voucher, but the lines moved so quickly that I got both autographs.

I got to Elias and said "I know baseball organizations are really large. But they all can't have everything. Is there one thing the O's organization doesn't have that you would like to have?" I thought that he would say some kind of physical training equipment, or some techie video device. He said "A good shortstop prospect."

I might go to the one in Frederick tomorrow. I haven't decided yet.

Thanks for this report.  I liked both your question and Elias' answer.

• Upvote 1

Being an analytical person, I've always wondered how the athletes manage to keep what seems like a self-delusional outlook from the outside. Like, does Mason McCoy wake up and truly believe in his heart of hearts he's going to have a long, storied Major League career? Because objectively that's a longshot

13 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Being an analytical person, I've always wondered how the athletes manage to keep what seems like a self-delusional outlook from the outside. Like, does Mason McCoy wake up and truly believe in his heart of hearts he's going to have a long, storied Major League career? Because objectively that's a longshot

With someone like McCoy I can see the drive turning into wanting to make the majors and get some of the big league pay and benefits.  The ones I don't understand are the college guys that can't get out of short season ball.  They signed for 10k, they are 24 years old and still playing short season ball.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

With someone like McCoy I can see the drive turning into wanting to make the majors and get some of the big league pay and benefits.  The ones I don't understand are the college guys that can't get out of short season ball.  They signed for 10k, they are 24 years old and still playing short season ball.

Some just want to play as long as possible, hence why Independent Leagues even exist.

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's fair. It's really a case of expectation vs. reality. If Mason McCoy thinks he can get a Major League cup of coffee if he busts his ass, I can't say that's unreasonable