JJ Hardy is back!

eddie83

When I think about the Ravens, you get guys like

Eric Weddle: 3 years in Baltimore and 9 years in San Diego, but wants to retire a Raven.

Steve Smith: 13 years in Carolina and 3 years in Baltimore. Retired a Raven.

Anquan Boldin: 7 years in arizona and 3 in Baltimore. Retired as a Raven.

Jacoby Jones/Vonta Leach: Both 5 years in Houston and 3 in Baltimore: Retired as Ravens

Derrick Mason: 8 years in Tennessee and 6 in Baltimore: Retired as a Raven

Like, for JJ Hardy to come back to guest coach is AMAZING. He's the only player jersey I've ever owned. When I think about guys who actually want to be around the franchise, it's almost nobody from the last 20 years. I've felt that not only were the Orioles teams during that time NOT GOOD, but organizationally was just an unfun place to work (affecting the field product as well).

I didn't want to make this about the Ravens, but I long for the day when baseball players come to Baltimore and love the culture here so much they just... hang around. I want Adam Jones to WANT to come to Baltimore to be a fixture here because he enjoyed his time here. I really hope that is the case.  I really want NICK MARKAKIS to come back here, even though I felt the separation wasn't slightly clean. I want Jeremy Guthrie back.

Football players want to be Ravens. Baseball players do not want to be Orioles. It's embarrassing.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I find it a bit interesting that Elias is willing to bring back guys like Hardy ad Conine, but chose to cut ties with Surhoff. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, since Surhoff was on the "official" payroll, but still interesting nonetheless. 

I thought this as well. 

32 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I find it a bit interesting that Elias is willing to bring back guys like Hardy ad Conine, but chose to cut ties with Surhoff. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, since Surhoff was on the "official" payroll, but still interesting nonetheless. 

I thought it was reported Surhoff was quite upset about being let go from the team. It might be a situation where there is too much bad blood right now. 

3 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I always liked Jeff Conine. He was solid and dependable - especially in 2001.  Even at 40 years of age he put up respectable numbers for us.  .265/.320/.726

I never had any issues with Jeff Conine as a person, but those were some poorly run teams.  What on earth does is a team in the middle of a multi-year collapse doing with a 40-year-old 1B/LFer OPSing .726?  The '06 Orioles were eight years into the losing streak and they had positional starters aged 30, 34, 28, 32, 34, 40, and 35.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Being a guest instructor at ST sounds like one of the cushiest jobs there is.  Fart around, help some guys out, tell war stories. 

Glad to see they're bringing some good players back into the fold, though.

Perhaps the Orioles' front brass has mistaken spring training for fantasy camp?

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I never had any issues with Jeff Conine as a person, but those were some poorly run teams.  What on earth does is a team in the middle of a multi-year collapse doing with a 40-year-old 1B/LFer OPSing .726?  The '06 Orioles were eight years into the losing streak and they had positional starters aged 30, 34, 28, 32, 34, 40, and 35.

It's wild, man. No one had any idea what they were doing in those years. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I was going to ask where Surhoff was...?

52 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The counter argument would be they weren’t “tanking.” 

Never mind the fact that many of the media and players who cry now, ignore about how poorly players age.