JJ Hardy is back!

eddie83

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I never had any issues with Jeff Conine as a person, but those were some poorly run teams.  What on earth does is a team in the middle of a multi-year collapse doing with a 40-year-old 1B/LFer OPSing .726?  The '06 Orioles were eight years into the losing streak and they had positional starters aged 30, 34, 28, 32, 34, 40, and 35.

I think they brought Conine back in 2006 to try to stabilize the clubhouse in the wake if the Raffygate disaster.    It was more about that than on-field performance.   Same with Millar (who ended up staying 3 years).

5 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

When I think about the Ravens, you get guys like

Eric Weddle: 3 years in Baltimore and 9 years in San Diego, but wants to retire a Raven.

Steve Smith: 13 years in Carolina and 3 years in Baltimore. Retired a Raven.

Anquan Boldin: 7 years in arizona and 3 in Baltimore. Retired as a Raven.

Jacoby Jones/Vonta Leach: Both 5 years in Houston and 3 in Baltimore: Retired as Ravens

Derrick Mason: 8 years in Tennessee and 6 in Baltimore: Retired as a Raven

Like, for JJ Hardy to come back to guest coach is AMAZING. He's the only player jersey I've ever owned. When I think about guys who actually want to be around the franchise, it's almost nobody from the last 20 years. I've felt that not only were the Orioles teams during that time NOT GOOD, but organizationally was just an unfun place to work (affecting the field product as well).

I didn't want to make this about the Ravens, but I long for the day when baseball players come to Baltimore and love the culture here so much they just... hang around. I want Adam Jones to WANT to come to Baltimore to be a fixture here because he enjoyed his time here. I really hope that is the case.  I really want NICK MARKAKIS to come back here, even though I felt the separation wasn't slightly clean. I want Jeremy Guthrie back.

Football players want to be Ravens. Baseball players do not want to be Orioles. It's embarrassing.

Guthrie is good people.  He had a house in the same neighborhood in Utah as my in-laws.  When my oldest son (15 - 16 years old) would go there to visit over the Christmas break, Guthrie would walk to my in-laws house and knock on the door to see if my son could come and play catch with him in the park.  They would clear the snow to stand on and play catch and long-toss to keep Jeremy's arm conditioned during the winter.  I had to tell my son that not every kid has major leaguers knocking on their door to have a catch.

I think Guthrie is firmly planted in the west, however.  He has moved back to Oregon permanently, from what I understand.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I tell you what...that hat is the most distracting daggone thing I have ever seen.   It may be the worst hat ever invented. 

I agree totally. That being said, I guess there are MANY other teams' hats that are just as bad. Take 2 logos and superimpose them on top of each other and only chaos ensues.