The ACC vs Big East Thread

mweb

On the surface, it looks like another terrible loss but Fresno State is a hell of a football team. They will win their next game and make believers out of everyone.

Yeah, they're good, but still bad considering they were at home, and it didn't end up being a close game. A bad first week for the Big East.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, they're good, but still bad considering they were at home, and it didn't end up being a close game. A bad first week for the Big East.

True and things could get a lot worse - maybe as soon as next week... WVU plays anywhere near as poorly as they did this week and Skip Holtz will be celebrating next weekend as well. Certainly not the opening week I was hoping for.

The ACC looks like they are going to be a bad conference this year.

Obviously, one week into the season doesn't mean a whole lot but they may be the 5th or 6th best BCS conference.

That seems to be where theyre usually at though. 1-9 in BCS bowls so far.

At least the one was in the national championship game. The only Big East team to win a BCS national title has migrated to the ACC. As a matter of fact, Miami should have two titles, while Ohio St. should be 0 for 3.

Miami was not in the ACC yet when they won those two titles.

At least the one was in the national championship game. The only Big East team to win a BCS national title has migrated to the ACC. As a matter of fact, Miami should have two titles, while Ohio St. should be 0 for 3.

It just shows you how unbelievabley strong the BEast was/is to be able to lose three programs the caliber of UM/BC/VT and actually end up being a better conference overall than the ones the other bolted for. And its hard to win a National Championship when you are in a conference like the BEast where everyone plays everyone else... There is no benefiting from the schedule like there are in those oversized conferences. There still is work to be done. They could benefit from adding another team or two to create an extra in-conference game but they are on the right track and moving the right direction.

It just shows you how unbelievabley strong the BEast was/is to be able to lose three programs the caliber of UM/BC/VT and actually end up being a better conference overall than the ones the other bolted for. And its hard to win a National Championship when you are in a conference like the BEast where everyone plays everyone else... There is no benefiting from the schedule like there are in those oversized conferences. There still is work to be done. They could benefit from adding another team or two to create an extra in-conference game but they are on the right track and moving the right direction.

More Big East bias from Gesh. It wasn't unbelievably strong back then, nor is it now. Shortly before those three teams were in the Big East, the conference was basically carried by Miami and VaTech, now since they've left some of the other schools have stepped up and they brought in new schools who have done some good things. And obiously it's not unbelievably strong now, don't think I even need to make points to defend that position.

It's also not harder to win the National title from the Big East than most other conferences. Sure, they have to play every team, but they have the advantage of not having to possibly play a top team in their conference twice. The conference championship games more than make up for that. Plus, it's not like the Big East has been a powerhouse which is that tough to run through, it's been solid, but it's not like the SEC.

More Big East bias from Gesh. It wasn't unbelievably strong back then, nor is it now. Shortly before those three teams were in the Big East, the conference was basically carried by Miami and VaTech, now since they've left some of the other schools have stepped up and they brought in new schools who have done some good things. And obiously it's not unbelievably strong now, don't think I even need to make points to defend that position.

Unbelievably may be a bit of hyperbole... Realistically the conference will end up somewhere in the middle of the pack of BCS conferences.

However in recent years when it's the best vs the best the Big East has dispatched the SEC, the ACC and the Big 12. Unfortunately, this year is going to see the BEast team beat the Big 12 again in the title game rather than being able to continue knocking off the best other conferences have to offer. :D

It's also not harder to win the National title from the Big East than most other conferences. Sure, they have to play every team, but they have the advantage of not having to possibly play a top team in their conference twice. The conference championship games more than make up for that. Plus, it's not like the Big East has been a powerhouse which is that tough to run through, it's been solid, but it's not like the SEC.

There is the SEC and then there is everyone else. The conference that I think is the model (structurally) is the Pac-10. Lots of conference games and everyone plays everyone. Even in the SEC for many years the divisional system made the title game a joke. If you can't tell, I'm not a fan of the conference championship game. It's a far inferior system designed to generate the most revenue not optimize the sport.

But the Big East does have a huge disadvantage and that's the misguided perception of the media whose bias is towards the traditional powers. It's a lot harder for a BEast team to move up quickly in the polls than it is for teams with bigger names from lessor conferences.

Not may be, it is a lot of hyberbole.

I would guess they'll finish 4th or 5th this year out of the BCS conferences. So yes, above the ACC.:angryfire:;)

Your dispatching line is also wrong imo, in bowl games, because of the perceived weakness of the Big East, their bowl tie in's have often left them with favorable matchups. I'm not saying they haven't done well, but you have to admit that they usually get easier matchups in the bowls.

Not may be, it is a lot of hyberbole.

I would guess they'll finish 4th or 5th this year out of the BCS conferences. So yes, above the ACC.:angryfire:;)

Your dispatching line is also wrong imo, in bowl games, because of the perceived weakness of the Big East, their bowl tie in's have often left them with favorable matchups. I'm not saying they haven't done well, but you have to admit that they usually get easier matchups in the bowls.

With the slow start they might finish as low as 4th this year... I'm still confident they'll rebound and be the conference we all want it to be.

True, for the meaningless bowls, but you have to admit the perceived (and wrong) weakness of the BEast makes it a tougher climb to the top of the rankings. But in the BCS bowls I'd say other than the matchup with the ACC they've had some tough matchups... The best the SEC and the Big 12 have to offer... Cupcakes they were not.

With the slow start they might finish as low as 4th this year... I'm still confident they'll rebound and be the conference we all want it to be.

True, for the meaningless bowls, but you have to admit the perceived (and wrong) weakness of the BEast makes it a tougher climb to the top of the rankings. But in the BCS bowls I'd say other than the matchup with the ACC they've had some tough matchups... The best the SEC and the Big 12 have to offer... Cupcakes they were not.

Of course you're confident. But 4th is likely the best they'll do imo. You'd be hard pressed to find many non Big East homers who would put them above 4th. Didn't they play the second best the SEC had to offer? I would have to go back and look, but in general, their bowl success is overblown imo due to the reasons I mentioned.

Of course you're confident. But 4th is likely the best they'll do imo. You'd be hard pressed to find many non Big East homers who would put them above 4th.

That is why I and my BEast brethren need to be steadfast in our quest to correct the perception of the non-believers. ;)

Didn't they play the second best the SEC had to offer? I would have to go back and look, but in general, their bowl success is overblown imo due to the reasons I mentioned.

Nope, nothing second best about the team they played. That was the year the boys from Texas shocked Trojan Nation so there was no SEC team in the title game. I don't put much stock in the 2nd tier bowls but am proud of the BEast's record in the BCS. They've won 60% of their BCS games giving them a commanding lead over the ACC with its remarkable 10% winning percentage. The only win being over one of the teams that bolted for the ACC.

The right team(s) could definitely help the overall profile of the conference. But right now I'm not sure there is anyone logically to add. Not to mention it would completely overload the BE with basketball teams (assuming the additions would be full members). Maybe UCF to expand the Florida base, but as far as I know they bring nothing in basketball, which will always be the Big East's calling card.

The right team(s) could definitely help the overall profile of the conference. But right now I'm not sure there is anyone logically to add. Not to mention it would completely overload the BE with basketball teams (assuming the additions would be full members). Maybe UCF to expand the Florida base' date=' but as far as I know they bring nothing in basketball, which will always be the Big East's calling card.[/quote']

Well you guys could just add one or two of those basketball schools, you know, try to become more like a real conference that has each of it's schools play football and basketball in their conference.;)

Archived