Markakis on Astros: "Every Single Guy Needs a Beating"

Aristotelian

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Indians were doing it in the 60's and other teams more recently (The White Sox and Mets have been mentioned).  And of course the Phillies back in 1900.

I think some of the outrage is designed to hide guilt, like folks did with the steroids.

I would not at all be surprised if various players have been part of similar schemes at some point in their careers.

But sure, let's suspend 50 guys for a year.

OK so not a big deal.  Got it.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Indians were doing it in the 60's and other teams more recently (The White Sox and Mets have been mentioned).  And of course the Phillies back in 1900.

I think some of the outrage is designed to hide guilt, like folks did with the steroids.

I would not at all be surprised if various players have been part of similar schemes at some point in their careers.

But sure, let's suspend 50 guys for a year.

How would you feel about a one game suspension for everyone on the 2017 roster?  I mean, some of them have already come out and apologized publicly.  Managers have been fired and had careers ended.  I don't think its that crazy and it would put a more formal asterisk on each of their careers, which might soothe other players and fans who feel (rightfully) hurt by this.

5 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

How would you feel about a one game suspension for everyone on the 2017 roster?  I mean, some of them have already come out and apologized publicly.  Managers have been fired and had careers ended.  I don't think its that crazy and it would put a more formal asterisk on each of their careers, which might soothe other players and fans who feel (rightfully) hurt by this.

I think that MLB has already stated that no players would be suspended and that backing away from that proclamation would be a poor idea.

28 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

So many players coming out in recent weeks with similar comments.  Its pretty striking.  I definitely agree the Astros players got off easy.  They should be forced to take down the WS banner and players involved should be suspended, even if it has to be a largely symbolic one-game suspension to start the season.  

It would probably be impossible to investigate it in this much detail, but suspend the 14 players most involved. That would force them to play the entire remainder of their 40-man roster on Opening Day. And since they probably couldn't field a proper team with those 26 (they almost certainly have more than 13 pitchers) it would force them to add players to the 40, send down or DFA the rest. Would be WAY more than a symbolic one day suspension.

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

When guys like Markakis and Trout are speaking out that strongly, you know MLB seriously screwed this up.  I called Manfred a coward the instant he said no players would be punished.  This is an awful situation and it is not going away.

Don’t forget Yu Darvish.

I think the Astros are definitely get plunked by the guys who were starters on the 2017 Indians.  Those guys are pretty tough and have let their feelings be known and aren’t going to let threats by the commissioner stop them. 

Just now, scOtt said:

It would probably be impossible to investigate it in this much detail, but suspend the 14 players most involved. That would force them to play the entire remainder of their 40-man roster on Opening Day. And since they probably couldn't field a proper team with those 26 (they almost certainly have more than 13 pitchers) it would force them to add players to the 40, send down or DFA the rest. Would be WAY more than a symbolic one day suspension.

They suspend pitchers who hit batters with zero proof of anything,  The whole we can’t suspend them is BS.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Don’t forget Yu Darvish.

I think the Astros are definitely get plunked by the guys who were starters on the 2017 Indians.  Those guys are pretty tough and have let their feelings be known and aren’t going to let threats by the commissioner stop them. 

Yea, it takes a tough guy to throw a ball at someone that is just standing there 60 feet away.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No reason for it to be a big deal, but the mob mentality has taken over.

It's steroids all over again.

Destroying the integrity of the game is no big deal?  I know you like to argue against the mainstream thought but that is ridiculous.  

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, it takes a tough guy to throw a ball at someone that is just standing there 60 feet away.

Well they can charge the mound and they have bats in their hands.  You can use your arguments all you want but what I am saying is they won’t be intimidated by the league or worry about brawls.

Just now, 24fps said:

If enough players make enough noise for long enough, spring training could actually be interesting this year.

Good ol' Nick.

Brawls in spring training could be good.  The Orioles won’t be involved in the drama that’s for sure.  No one from the team seems concerned.