Markakis on Astros: "Every Single Guy Needs a Beating"

Aristotelian

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Yes, FORMER Oriole, current MLB player.

Dusty on Nick:

“I didn’t think Markakis talked to much, maybe he had his Wheaties.”

I think people are blowing that one sentence out of proportion.     But watching Nick’s interview, you can see he’s really unhappy that Manfred didn’t punish the players.     He’s actually gotten a bit more outspoken and articulate over the last few years.     He’s universally respected in the game, so his words carry a lot of weight.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

I think people are blowing that one sentence out of proportion.     But watching Nick’s interview, you can see he’s really unhappy that Manfred didn’t punish the players.     He’s actually gotten a bit more outspoken and articulate over the last few years.     He’s universally respected in the game, so his words carry a lot of weight.   

Hard to confuse a man's meaning when he says something like “I feel like every single guy over there needs a beating.” .

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hard to confuse a man's meaning when he says something like “I feel like every single guy over there needs a beating.” .

So do you think anything will actually happen when the Braves play the Astros?  They play the final three games of the season against each other, plus twice in spring training.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

So do you think anything will actually happen when the Braves play the Astros?  They play the final three games of the season against each other, plus twice in spring training.    

Nope, I don't think he's going to anything.  He's just raising the tension level for everyone else.

1 minute ago, Ripken said:

When guys like Markakis and Trout are speaking out that strongly, you know MLB seriously screwed this up.  I called Manfred a coward the instant he said no players would be punished.  This is an awful situation and it is not going away.

When you say it isn’t going to go away, what exactly do you mean?    Do you expect Manfred to change the punishment?    Do you expect teams to retaliate on the field?    Or do you just mean that people (or players) will continue to talk about it?

This is the most serious scandal since the 1919 Black Sox.  Yes it is worse than steroids.  These Astros players need to be punished severely.  Maybe not a lifetime ban like in 1919 but the should all sit out one year at the very least.  I would not find it excessive if they did indeed receive a lifetime ban.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

This is the most serious scandal since the 1919 Black Sox.  Yes it is worse than steroids.  These Astros players need to be punished severely.  Maybe not a lifetime ban like in 1919 but the should all sit out one year at the very least.  I would not find it excessive if they did indeed receive a lifetime ban.

How many guys are you planning on suspending?  The entire 2017 roster?

15 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

You realize, I assume, that several other teams before the Astros used technological means to steal and transmit signs.    Like, for example, the 1951 Giants.  https://sabr.org/bioproj/topic/1951-giants-cheating-scandal-effects

• Thanks 1

So many players coming out in recent weeks with similar comments.  Its pretty striking.  I definitely agree the Astros players got off easy.  They should be forced to take down the WS banner and players involved should be suspended, even if it has to be a largely symbolic one-game suspension to start the season.  

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How many guys are you planning on suspending?  The entire 2017 roster?

Whoever can be proven to be part of the scheme should be suspended yes.  From whenever it started to now.  

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You realize, I assume, that several other teams before the Astros used technological means to steal and transmit signs.    Like, for example, the 1951 Giants.  https://sabr.org/bioproj/topic/1951-giants-cheating-scandal-effects

Very interesting.  I had heard once about the Bobby Thompson homerun was a bit shady but didn't know about the whole story.  All you have to do is follow the reaction of the other players in the league to see how serious this is.  

4 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

Whoever can be proven to be part of the scheme should be suspended yes.  From whenever it started to now.  

Very interesting.  I had heard once about the Bobby Thompson homerun was a bit shady but didn't know about the whole story.  All you have to do is follow the reaction of the other players in the league to see how serious this is.  

The Indians were doing it in the 60's and other teams more recently (The White Sox and Mets have been mentioned).  And of course the Phillies back in 1900.

I think some of the outrage is designed to hide guilt, like folks did with the steroids.

I would not at all be surprised if various players have been part of similar schemes at some point in their careers.

But sure, let's suspend 50 guys for a year.

• Upvote 1