Markakis on Astros: "Every Single Guy Needs a Beating"

Aristotelian

10 minutes ago, bill_kir said:

Did Markakis mention anything about talking to Brian McCann about this? Or does McCann not count in the beatings since he is a Brave now? I wonder how the clubhouse atmosphere is for ex-Astros on other teams now. are they being ostracized by their teammates? Are they all playing the 'i tried to tell them to stop cheating but they wouldn't listen to me' card?

I do wonder about that too. It has to be very awkward to hostile even. Who knows... :confused:

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-sweep-orioles-with-6-run-inning-c232928936

https://www.espn.com/mlb/game?gameId=370526118

I'm just saying there is room for discussion.  Your dismissal of one as mob mentality....and then linking it in similarity to steroids...is not a good look.  Steroids by the way, also hurt careers and that is not debatable.  The debate regarding steroids is always going to be about who was or wasn't and whether steroids is the same level of cheating as greenies or spitballs.  

You are always thought provoking and I appreciate that...it makes for great discussion.  Thanks

I'm comparing them to steroids since in both cases, the behavior had been present for an extended period of time and fans, at least observant ones, knew that it was going on.  Sure we might not have known the scope of it, but we knew teams were doing it.

As for possibly ending someone's career?  Yea, I'm dismissive of the possibility.  I don't think a bad beat by the Astros was the deciding factor in anyone losing out on a ML career.  If your margin for error is one bad beat you aren't going to have much of a career.

Also, Gausman isn't out of baseball, he isn't even out of orange and black (and making 9M).

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2020 at 4:11 PM, atomic said:

How many players in the history of the MLB have had career injuries from brawls.  I have been to plenty of hockey games over the years and have seen a ton of fights from huge guys.  Guys like Chris Simon and Craig Berube were on the capitals at the same time and I never remember them giving anyone a career injury.  Two guys I wouldn’t want to get in a fight with.  

Jason Larue.

1 hour ago, dedwretched said:

Jason Larue.

Wow that sucks.  Seems like Cueto kept kicking him in the head when he was down.  And only got 7 games for it.

As for Chris Simon and hockey maybe he was a bad example.  He was on disability assistance in 2017 which I gathered from this pathetic story of his after hockey life:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/ex-nhl-enforcer-chris-simon-files-for-bankruptcy-court-documents-say-hes-broke

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2020 at 2:05 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Hard to confuse a man's meaning when he says something like “I feel like every single guy over there needs a beating.” .

I think what Frobby is getting at is that I highly doubt Markakis actually wants those guts beaten in the literal sense, but rather that they should have been punished and need to take their lumps one way or another. A harsher, firmer way of saying that they got off far too easy and need to be punished.

He probably could have used better wording, no doubt, but there isn't actually much of a story here.

10 minutes ago, sgillespie31 said:

I think what Frobby is getting at is that I highly doubt Markakis actually wants those guts beaten in the literal sense, but rather that they should have been punished and need to take their lumps one way or another. A harsher, firmer way of saying that they got off far too easy and need to be punished.

He probably could have used better wording, no doubt, but there isn't actually much of a story here.

Quite a world we live in when you can clearly and simply state something and folks will still interpret it for you.

11 hours ago, atomic said:

Wow that sucks.  Seems like Cueto kept kicking him in the head when he was down.  And only got 7 games for it.

As for Chris Simon and hockey maybe he was a bad example.  He was on disability assistance in 2017 which I gathered from this pathetic story of his after hockey life:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/ex-nhl-enforcer-chris-simon-files-for-bankruptcy-court-documents-say-hes-broke

Anecdotal, I know, but it seems pretty common to read horrific stories of the life of hockey goons.  Abuse by coaches who were former goons, being subject to hazing, continuous beatings, inevitable drug and alcohol abuse, becoming the haze-er, then eventually obvious signs of repeated concussions and brain trauma.  

I fully expect that fighting will be banned in the NHL in my lifetime.  As a casual hockey fan it's very bizarre to have a normal team sport going on and then suddenly a fistfight that would get you arrested in almost any other context.

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm comparing them to steroids since in both cases, the behavior had been present for an extended period of time and fans, at least observant ones, knew that it was going on.  Sure we might not have known the scope of it, but we knew teams were doing it.

As for possibly ending someone's career?  Yea, I'm dismissive of the possibility.  I don't think a bad beat by the Astros was the deciding factor in anyone losing out on a ML career.  If your margin for error is one bad beat you aren't going to have much of a career.

Also, Gausman isn't out of baseball, he isn't even out of orange and black (and making 9M).

For guys on the fringe, definitely. Teams will roll out the same tired, former-first-rounder hag to get torched for days on end. But, if you're a player who was drafted late and really had to work your way up, getting shelled could be what ends your shot in MLB.

I agree that those players probably wouldn't have some miraculous career, but if it's the difference between getting a MLB pension or not  - pretty significant.